PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UBUNTU CRASHES MY WINDOWSt XP

itubaba
October 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Had both XP and version 7.1 working great on my new PC. Decided to upgrade to 8.04 today.

After installing the grome refuses to load the Windows. The Ubuntu is working great but each time I go to the Windows it kicks me out.

Entered the partion software on the Ubuntu and discovered a problem showing on my XP partion on NTFS. Ubuntu claims it is is empty.

Got my XP CD and ran DISKPART. Got the message
C: Partion 1 [Unknown] 336844 MB (correct size showing)

Ran CHKDSK C: and got the message:
The Volume appears to contain one or more nrecovable problems.

This is giving me a lot of concern. I hope my data is not lost. PLEASE HELP
:(

PocketDog
October 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM
try CHKDSK /f

itubaba
October 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
No such option in Chkdsk. Only /R and /P

Got the same message for both: THE VOLUME APPEARS TO CONTAIN ONE OR MORE UNRECOVERABLE PROBLEMS

itubaba
October 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Got the same message for both: THE VOLUME APPEARS TO CONTAIN ONE OR MORE UNRECOVERABLE PROBLEMS

Mark Phelps
October 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
You said you "upgraded" but did you upgrade through Upgrade Manager (i.e., installing the new packages from inside ubuntu) or did you insert a CD/DVD and install the new version ontop of 7.10?

PocketDog
October 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
/f (or /F) is definitely a chkdsk option, it means 'fix'.

lisati
October 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM

<aside>Huh? All the machines I've used in recent years have the /f option. It's fairly standard, as is the /v option for "verbose" mode</aside>

EDIT: Is it possible that something nasty unrelated to Ubuntu (e.g. virus) has crept onto XP and replaced its chkdsk with something else?

cariboo
October 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Here is a link on how to use chkdsk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

You may not quite be using chkdsk properly.

Jim

Elfy
October 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
It's chkdsk /r or /p in recovery mode iirc

• Chkdsk The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. This switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.

lumilanis
October 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Try to use Recovery console under XP Install menu
Type: fixmbr

It usually solves the problem. I used it many times.

itubaba
October 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I installed by using the the Ubuntu CD to do the installation.

Latest is that I downloaded TestDisk as recommended and ran it using the hard disk as an external.

I got a log of TestDisk, but the bottom line is that:
1. Under the quick test, it shows 3 hard partitions
2. Under intensive test, it shows 7 partitions.
3. After doing a fix, it claims the partition can not be repaired.

Dont know what to do next

itubaba
October 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I forgot to mention. After the intensive test I mentioned above, it said something like the sum of partitions is more than the hard disk size.

SeanHodges
October 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I forgot to mention. After the intensive test I mentioned above, it said something like the sum of partitions is more than the hard disk size.

Any chance you might have selected the Windows partition for installing 8.04 on?

If you use the CD instead of the upgrade manager you are performing a brand new installation, and not an upgrade.

Edit: Use a live CD (like the Ubuntu one you have) to look at both of the partitions. You should be able to mount them and look inside...

itubaba
October 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
do I need to reboot with the live CD ?

I know I did NOT install over the Windows as I can still see the begining and end of it but can not enter

Torgas Prim
October 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
If all else fails, boot into ubuntu and copy all of your data from the windows install into your ubuntu.
Then just reinstall XP...(IF you really want to ;) )

Mark Phelps
October 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I asked you about how you "upgraded" because I had the suspicion that you actually overwrote either Ubuntu or XP when you did the "upgrade".

The default, when installing from the live CD, is to write GRUB to the MBR of the disk on which Ubuntu is being installed. I didn't catch how you were booting before, either by selecting Windows from a GRUB menu, or by selecting Ubuntu from a Windows menu. But regardless, you most probably overwrote the MBR when you installed Ubuntu -- however, it should have found the XP installation and added a menu entry for it.

Can you successfully boot into Ubuntu (if so, which version?) or XP?