PDA

View Full Version : I'm selling games and DVD's on ebay. Any tips?

Zensunni
November 23rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
I've started selling little things like games, CD's and DVD's on ebay. Does anyone here have any outstanding lessons they've learned on ebay which they'd like to share? I know that paypal can be quite bad, so I've made extra effort to watch their payment proceedure carefully. Can somebody look at my listings too? I think I included everything to make sales feasable and without incident. Is there anything I forgot?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Oh yea, the links are listed on my homepage at http://thehiddengrotto.com

matthew
November 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
As a seller:
Be honest, communicate well and promptly, give good and accurate descriptions with clear pictures, point out any flaws or problems your item might have (shouldn't apply to new stuff), give accurate shipping quotes (+-10%) and a clear description of your shipping procedure (I will ship upon receipt of your money order using USPS and will send an email to you the day your item has been sent). It also doesnt hurt to throw in a nice, unadvertised bonus with an item when you ship it, like a cool sticker, etc. Finally, don't hype your product like a bad carnival game operator. Just describe it as completely as you can witout saying things like, "This is guaranteed to change your life FOREVER!!!" and so on.

As a buyer:
communicate quickly and clearly and pay promptly

For both:
Be nice, leave accurate feedback on all transactions--both good and bad. If you have to leave negative feedback, do it honestly with no emotion showing but clear and honest descriptions of what went wrong.

(eBay user since 1999)

EDIT: I took a very quick look at your site and the item listings on eBay and they seem to be pretty good. Nothing leapt off the page to me as needing to be changed.

gorkhal
November 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
i have done a bit of selling myself...books and dvds mainly

when you list your item, you want to block of any buyers with negative feedback

make sure you set your prices clearly, buyers dig that, not unlike the $ 2 Mp3 player with $ 38 shipping tag, thats just offensive

and yes paypal can be bothersome, however i have never had any issues with it, as long as your payments do not seem suspicious in any way, you should be ok, but then who knows how paypal defines what suspicious is?? :smile:

Being in canada though, you could always put certapay.com (interac email money transfer system between the big 5 banks) as a payment option for canadians, its reliable and secure and completely free of worries

thats all i could think up for now..have fun making money $$$$

uberlinux
November 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM
pics, mucho pics

Darrin
November 24th, 2005, 01:51 AM
What tics me off that seems to happen more and more on ebay. Sellers tend to wait for the buyer to post feedback first. I cant stand that. I started ebay back in 98 I think. As a buyer I always leave feedback as soon as I receive my item and everything is as stated in auction. As a seller I always leave feedback as soon as I receive payment for an item. The buyer has completed his or her obligation once I receive payment.
In my mind thats how it should be. More times than not when I purchase something the seller wont leave feedback until I do so. I say forget it. If the seller is going to hold off for my feedback first then he or she isnt going to get it. Thats just how I feel about it.

matthew
November 24th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Darrin: I agree about the feedback thing.

I always post feedback as soon as it is appropriate...as soon as I receive payment (or the check clears the bank back when I used to accept personal checks) when selling and as soon as I receive the item when buying.

Darrin
November 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Darrin: I agree about the feedback thing.

Good to know. At least there is two of us out there ;)

the_clown
November 24th, 2005, 03:39 AM
What tics me off that seems to happen more and more on ebay. Sellers tend to wait for the buyer to post feedback first. I cant stand that. I started ebay back in 98 I think. As a buyer I always leave feedback as soon as I receive my item and everything is as stated in auction. As a seller I always leave feedback as soon as I receive payment for an item. The buyer has completed his or her obligation once I receive payment.
In my mind thats how it should be. More times than not when I purchase something the seller wont leave feedback until I do so. I say forget it. If the seller is going to hold off for my feedback first then he or she isnt going to get it. Thats just how I feel about it.

As a seller, I would never leave feedback until I am sure that the customer is happy with the item. You are buying a product not feedback. If you want to have a debate on who should leave feedback first, you should go to the feedback forum (http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=113) on eBay.

blastus
November 24th, 2005, 04:04 AM
eBay's a haven for fraud, petty theft, con-artists, liers, and cheaters. They also have absolutely no customer support, so if a buyer or seller rips you off then too bad. As an eBay seller, you should only sell as much as you are willing to lose.

As an eBay buyer, you should only spend as much as you are willing to lose. It's just too easy for a seller to take your money and not ship. Like I'm going to hand my money over to some invisible person I've never met before and don't have a clue who they are, where they live, or anything else...yeah right. The feedback system is a joke. And PayPal sucks (http://www.paypalsucks.com).