PDA

View Full Version : Pulse Audio ROCKS!

kevin11951
October 9th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I was very sick of having to close my firefox windows to open my banshee and then reopen firefox just to play a song.

my problem was that i couldnt play audio from ore that one source

pulse changed that, now everything (sound wise) works beautifully.

was a bit of a hassle though.

for those who are wondering i followed the tutorial here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

david_lynch
October 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I was very sick of having to close my firefox windows to open my banshee and then reopen firefox just to play a song.

my problem was that i couldnt play audio from ore that one source

pulse changed that, now everything (sound wise) works beautifully.

was a bit of a hassle though.

for those who are wondering i followed the tutorial here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
Cool, are you on hardy, or what?

barbedsaber
October 9th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I just gave up on pulse audio, changed back to ALSA, am much happier.

david_lynch
October 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I just gave up on pulse audio, changed back to ALSA, am much happier. Well, the new sound system works for me, at least as well as plain old alsa ever did. I still see that firefox plugins, and old school games, hog the sound device, so if pulseaudio can fix that I'll be thrilled.

SupaSonic
October 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM

+1
I heard pulse is better in Ibex though.

ad_267
October 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
After upgrading to Intrepid I initially had problems with no sound working at all except OSS, but now pulse audio is working nicely.

SunnyRabbiera
October 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Pulse is promising, but I doubt I will upgrade to ibex just for the new version.
For now ALSA will do.

night-wing
October 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Have you made system sounds work in hardy when switching to alsa? Is pulseaudio still installed or did you uninstall it?

SunnyRabbiera
October 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Have you made system sounds work in hardy when switching to alsa? Is pulseaudio still installed or did you uninstall it?

Yeh system still works top notch with alsa, and no I didnt remove pulse.

night-wing
October 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hi.
Do startup sound and shutdown sound also work for you?

barbedsaber
October 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I will try pulse audio after every update I see, but at the moment, I prefer NOT having to restart X when I want to hear a youtube video, because I have been using rhythm box, well, I hold it at a higher priority than login sounds that work.
(these don't work with ALSA, haven't tried OSS)

night-wing
October 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
For a "ready" LTS version, this is really no achievement :-(

billgoldberg
October 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Ditto.

Never had any kind of problem with ALSA.

night-wing
October 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM
But it's sad, that with alsa you can't play system sounds in hardy :-( I tried to do so and install the esound (enlightment sound demon). But when I boot and after that will click on any menu item, hardy freezes complete. I only can kill esd from the console. Then it works without problems (and without system sounds...)

Tomosaur
October 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
PulseAudio is buggy as hell, but it has promise. I just think it needs a lot more polish before I'll be entirely happy with it - but for just normal usage it's good.

Polygon
October 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
pulseaudio will be great once everything starts supporting it. right now its a bit of a hassle but in a couple years we will be glad we have it.

Mazza558
October 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Is there any reason I can only hear crackling with PulseAudio?

FuturePilot
October 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM
PulseAudio is so much better in Intrepid. They really improved the default configuration. If you had problems with PA in Hardy you might want to give it a second chance in Intrepid. You won't want to go back to anything else once you've seen the awesomeness of PulseAudio.