PDA

View Full Version : Who else is a "compulsive updater"?

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I keep finding threads with people asking if they "should" update to 8.10, reading that there are some people still using Gutsy and probably others on Feisty and older. I know some people still use Firefox 2.0 and various other apps that they prefer over the more recent ones.

My question is: how do you guys DO that?

I'm a compulsive updater. One reason I beta test is so I can run update-manager every day and get 20 new things. I install stuff from repos because the moment there's a new version, I want it. If there's a newer version of something and I don't have it, I feel compelled to update. Even if it doesn't work as well (Deluge is a great example, I don't really like the new look), I gotta have it.

You hear about people wanting an OS that they can just install and never touch again, but I almost NEED to be constantly updating and getting new things (which likely explains my love of Arch lately).

Moustacha
October 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Try Fedora if you like downloading lots of updates almost daily :D

Ocxic
October 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM
+1

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Try Fedora if you like downloading lots of updates almost daily :D

I have a Fedora disc on hand actually, the latest beta. I'm just unsure if I want to try 'er out, I don't remember hearing great things about their package management...

jimi_hendrix
October 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM
i am a compulsive updater and installer

i love the feeling of watching the install bar more from left to right or the little percentage rise (geek feeling)

i also need the newest stuff...but only if its free (i didnt shell out for word 07 until i got my new laptop and i didnt grab vista until the same time(before i started using linux))

EdThaSlayer
October 9th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I like to be up to date. Every time a new distro comes out I feel like I'm still back in the stone age using archaic tools. Also, it's cool to know what interesting changes occurred. :)

cardinals_fan
October 9th, 2008, 02:56 AM
My only machine running Ubuntu uses Dapper Drake (6.06) :)

I like staying up-to-date when the new versions are improvements for me.