PDA

View Full Version : iTunes, why are new releases so large?

Changturkey
October 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Why are the Windows releases of iTunes like a full re-download?

Polygon
October 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
cause it is a full-redownload. they release the full version every time, not patches. maybe if you download via apple updater it may download a patch.

jgrabham
October 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
if you download via apple updater it may download a patch.

And watch out, you never know what they'll try to push on to you these days ;)

Helios1276
October 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Apple spyware and Windows spyware , if left together , will fight and possibly injure each other. The extra space is needed to adequately ship them without having them too close together ;)

It's standard technozoological practice.

Changturkey
October 8th, 2008, 09:24 PM
And watch out, you never know what they'll try to push on to you these days ;)

It always tries to install Safari. By the way, does Ubuntu only update what is changed, or is that a different package manager?

Polygon
October 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
no package manager can effectively use delta updates, cause deltas for binary packages only work...if your upgrading from version x to version y, but what happens if someone hasnt updated in a month and has version z?

so no, ubuntu also redownloads the entire package, but since most of the packages are like kilobytes in size, it isnt a problem

mr.propre
October 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I hope this wil help you:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=554

Changturkey
October 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM
What distros use Deltas?

Polygon
October 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM
im not sure of any that do, for the reason i explained above. and you should not pick a distro just because it uses delta updates anyway, i mean, your talking about shaving off kilobytes here

jgrabham
October 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Oh, NM, been said already. Please delete.

AlphaMack
October 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
It's the same case on OS X - iTunes and QuickTime are full downloads. It's quite painful on a DSL connection.