PDA

View Full Version : internet anonymity

aaarg
November 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
i am just curious about what people use (if anything) to protect their anonymity on the internet.

i personally use tor/privoxy and i2p and occasionally jap....which do you think is the best (not necessarily one of those i mentioned) and for what reason?

Stormy Eyes
November 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
If I want privacy, I use email encrypted with gnupg. Frankly, I don't care if the NSA knows I surf this forum, click on Boobies links at FARK.com, or read articles at http://solohq.com. Let those demon-ridden scumbags think what they will. If they want to spy on me, I'll just drop my pants and moon them.

jdong
November 24th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Tor/privoxy.

aaarg
November 24th, 2005, 02:01 AM
i am new to the i2p, but i have been using tor for quite a while.....i generally use tor more often for generic browsing, but i2p has a lot of potential (especially in the filesharing areas, which with the riaa/mpaa evil empire on withchhunts has people using filesharing apps through tor....... which is what is bringing tor to a crawl)

anybody use anything else?

majikstreet
November 24th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Tor/privoxy.
aren't proxies/union routers slow?

WildTangent
November 24th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I don't bother. If some government agency is so interested in who I am, and what I do, there isn't much I can do to prevent it anyway. And I live in Canada, so I don't need to worry about the RIAA/MPAA :p

-Wild

jdong
November 24th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I should clarify... I use Tor for 2 reasons:

(1) Bypassing poorly devised filtering/firewall setups (AIM, IRC, ubuntuforums.org, slashdot.org)
(2) When I don't want a network administrator to track me... There are some of these guys that I know, and I really don't feel comfortable with them knowing about too much of my online activities.

towsonu2003
November 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
just linking, as this one has some opinions too:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80356

no advertising, I promise :p

Minyaliel
November 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Who cares? Only think I use when surfing, is ClamAV and Firestarter... and I've never experienced any trouble

WildTangent
November 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I should note, I do use proxies at school, but only to bypass the filters. I could care less if the admins monitor me. I'm sticking it to the man! :D

-Wild

xequence
November 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I don't bother. If some government agency is so interested in who I am, and what I do, there isn't much I can do to prevent it anyway. And I live in Canada, so I don't need to worry about the RIAA/MPAA :p

-Wild

Not exactly. The stupid liberal government is trying to do stuff to give the CRIA the power to sue for copyright infringement and invade privacy.

Good thing Harper is trying to get them out of office.

Oh, and I dont use any anonimity thingy. I tried peerguardian but it slowed torrent downloads alot.

sapo
November 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
yo avatar thief, long time no see :)

Btw.. i use this one www.hidemyass.com just to bypass the stupid filter at work

aaarg
November 25th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Oh, and I dont use any anonimity thingy. I tried peerguardian but it slowed torrent downloads alot.

most people do not use any anonymity methods....that is fine, but i am decidely uncomfortable with big brother/whatevercrappysite.com/my own ISP/network admin knowing what i look at all the time (regardless of content i browse.)

WildTangent
November 25th, 2005, 04:18 AM
yo avatar thief, long time no see :)

Btw.. i use this one www.hidemyass.com just to bypass the stupid filter at work
Long time no see?! I've been here the whole time, where have you been?

I'm going to give that site a try, because working proxies are getting harder to find, and secure-tunnel just plain sucks ;)

BTW...you stole MY avatar :p

-Wild