PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install K3B in Hardy via other computer's internet connection.

jeremywitt
October 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I want to install K3B on my laptop while I am at work. I am not allowed to connect the laptop to the network to gain internet access, but I have internet access on my work computer and I also have a USB memory stick (1GB).
Can I use the work computer to download a file (tar.gz?), transfer the file via USB stick and install from there?

I'm about 98% sure it's possible but I'm clueless on how to install from tar.gz and also where to get the file for K3B. Any help would be appreciated.

.nedberg
October 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM
You can get the .deb here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/k3b

make sure you get the dependencies!

You might use apt-get with the -d option also, but I am not sure how that works.

jeremywitt
October 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
You can get the .deb here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/k3b

make sure you get the dependencies!

You might use apt-get with the -d option also, but I am not sure how that works.

Thanks for the info, but I don't know how to install via the .deb file.

Also, how can I obtain dependencies without linux connecting to the net? I guess I neglected to mention that my work computer runs WinXP (I figured that was a given) and as I stated before I can't connect my laptop to the internet directly.

.nedberg
October 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
The dependencies are listed on the page with a red "dot". Some are probably installed already. DL the ones you need

On your ubuntu machine open synaptic and mark k3b for installation, it will list what you need to get (even without network). DL these packages and install them with a doubleclick. You will have to install them one by one or with 'sudo dpkg -i <package.deb>'. Probably in the right order...

jeremywitt
October 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I drove home for lunch and installed via synaptic... I don't know how to close/erase this thread, if someone could do it that would be great. Thanks!
Also, if you feel like letting me know how to do that myself, that would be appreciated too.