PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help a new brotha out

UberNew
October 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
OK...

I am trying linux for the first time. I had a friend, (LONG TIME LINUX GUY) burn a iso, and do a sum check...all is good.

I go to install ubuntu, I get the initial screen, asking about Language, I click next...

Screen goes blank...script starts rolling...

"Starting this..."

"Starting that..."

Finally that ends and it says...

blah blah blah...use "root" to do this...

Is this how it is supposed to go?

PS, I know the cd is good, it worked on an old pII machine, this is an upgrade to a 1.2 ghz processor machine...

I'm going bald here...help:confused:

patrickballeux
October 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
The "blah blah blah" and "to do this" a quite important for us to know what is happening.

Please, report what is shown on the screen so we can have an idea of what is going on.

Have you tried the "Safe mode" to boot from the CD?
Have you ran the Check Integrity to make sure that everything is ok?

The CD can be good, but it does not mean that your CD/DVD player is ok. It can happen on old hardware.

Also, I found out that on some old hardware, I could not install the lastest Ubuntu, but could install and old version (6.10 or 7.04). Then in simply install the old Ubuntu, and then update to the lastest. A little longer, but it works.

Good luck!

UberNew
October 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I restarted...and it locked up at the script...

Running local boot scripts(etc/rc.local) [ok]

It warned me of low graphics mode, then locked up tighter than a drum...

I will burn an older version, and give that a try, thanks for the help

cariboo
October 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM
You didn't say if you tried safe graphics mode. At the menu screen press F4 and select safe graphics mode. This should allow you to install. If you still have a problem download the alternate iso. The alternate iso does a much better job of hardware detection, it has a text mode installer so you will have to use the keyboard to navigate through the different screens.

Jim