PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good time for me to upgrade my computer?

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I just bought a bunch of new parts for my rig, and I ended up with a socket 775 Quad Core Q8200 Intel processor, ASUS P5Pro P43 mobo, and 4gb DDR2 800 G.skill RAM. I got those items for about 350 dollars on newegg.

Well, I keep hearing about Intel's new Nehalem socket coming out, which supposedly has a new design to kick the pants off of anything else out there.

I thought it was coming out in like March or April, but it turns out it's being released just before Christmas. Hmmmm. Kind of a downer. However, a huge turn off towards the new socket is indeed the price.

Projected costs for the RAM (DDR3), Mobo, and Processor are looking to be a combined total of 700ish minimum.

Projected 250ish for mobo, an easy 150 for 4gb of DDR3 RAM, and the processor is looking to be 300 minimum upon release.

So, I have to wonder, was it a good time for me to upgrade? Granted, I spent half of what the "projected" prices for Nehalem are supposed to be. But even still, I figured I'd ask here for some more input.

Forbees
October 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
you rig kicks *** enough as it is . . . .

there is no need for you to worry about this new stuff coming out for a few more years, i recently upgraded my computer, running amd 3.0 ghz x2 (dual core) and 2 gigs ddr2

i made sure my motherboard is upgradable to quad core and ddr3(to lazy to look up the modle number and what not, but newegg price was $300) so when i find a need for the next gen **** i dont have to put to much more in it

honestly . . . . what can you do that this newer system will do so much better? i game and my system still kicks *** for what i do, untill i get some new reallllly heavey weight game i'm perfectly fine on my system

SunnyRabbiera
October 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Yeh even with the new line of Intels around the corner I think your system will do for about another 5 years or so as linux gives practically all processors an extended lifetime :D

Kuroyume
October 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
if you're always waiting for the bnext best thing you're never gonna buy anything... and you got a pretty *** kicking rig, so i think you did well...

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah. My mobo doesn't support DDR3, however it was also 85 dollars. It looks like such a nice board though... I just have to keep reminding myself that whenever I do upgrade, it's not just cpu and mobo... I gotta do RAM too... and RAM is effin expensive!! At least DDR3 is...

I don't really do any hardcore gaming. I just like to get "better than I would use" hardware whenever I do upgrade. If it helps, I'm upgrading from CS 1.6 to Source later this week. :lolflag:

I also keep hearing that Nehalem won't really benefit desktop systems for a while yet, and that it's really geared towards servers at the moment. Which, considering how big some companies are (and even school districts, like where I work at) you can never have too much server processing power... especially with something scaled as big as the district I work at.

SunnyRabbiera
October 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah. My mobo doesn't support DDR3, however it was also 85 dollars. It looks like such a nice board though... I just have to keep reminding myself that whenever I do upgrade, it's not just cpu and mobo... I gotta do RAM too... and RAM is effin expensive!! At least DDR3 is...

I don't really do any hardcore gaming. I just like to get "better than I would use" hardware whenever I do upgrade. If it helps, I'm upgrading from CS 1.6 to Source later this week. :lolflag:

I also keep hearing that Nehalem won't really benefit desktop systems for a while yet, and that it's really geared towards servers at the moment. Which, considering how big some companies are (and even school districts, like where I work at) you can never have too much server processing power... especially with something scaled as big as the district I work at.

Well I would not worry about DDR3, DDR2 will be around for a while I think as well as DDR1.

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah. I ended up getting a decent PSU (650w) so power wise I'm covered for a while. Plus I have a pair of SATA II 500gb HDD's. So the only thing I'd ever want to upgrade are the core components... CPU, Mobo, RAM, GFX card. Thing is, my new GFX card is about 500% better than my last one and my last one did me fine.

I mean, it'd be one thing if I could wait 2 weeks and upgrade to the new socket for the same price I'd pay for the 775 I'm using. But when I realize just how much I'd pay for that hardware I almost just wonder why people on other tech forums rave over it so much. I guess it's because of people like that swearing by brand spankin new hardware that I started to consider it.

6 hours to go till I can build that system. Then I got 2 OS's to install and all my own personal settings to implement. It's gonna be a long night. :P

Any additional input would be helpful!

zachtib
October 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
you'll be fine with your rig... I've been waiting for nehalem before I upgrade anything else though, only reason I haven't bought up a quad core and 4gb of ram yet

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Is there a reason you're waiting for Nehalem? What would it offer that you would use over the current 775 line?

zachtib
October 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Is there a reason you're waiting for Nehalem? What would it offer that you would use over the current 775 line?

it's new :P

I just like building new PCs... my desktop is getting old, so I was going to build a new one soon anyways

billgoldberg
October 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I just bought a bunch of new parts for my rig, and I ended up with a socket 775 Quad Core Q8200 Intel processor, ASUS P5Pro P43 mobo, and 4gb DDR2 800 G.skill RAM. I got those items for about 350 dollars on newegg.

Well, I keep hearing about Intel's new Nehalem socket coming out, which supposedly has a new design to kick the pants off of anything else out there.

I thought it was coming out in like March or April, but it turns out it's being released just before Christmas. Hmmmm. Kind of a downer. However, a huge turn off towards the new socket is indeed the price.

Projected costs for the RAM (DDR3), Mobo, and Processor are looking to be a combined total of 700ish minimum.

Projected 250ish for mobo, an easy 150 for 4gb of DDR3 RAM, and the processor is looking to be 300 minimum upon release.

So, I have to wonder, was it a good time for me to upgrade? Granted, I spent half of what the "projected" prices for Nehalem are supposed to be. But even still, I figured I'd ask here for some more input.

No it wasn't a good time.

The new intel Core i7 processors are coming out next month.

They are up to 50% faster than the fastest quad cores and cost way less then them.

But you already knew that.

billgoldberg
October 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Not true.

They kick *** for gaming, video encoding, ...

mips
October 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
They kick *** for gaming...

I read somewhere that they run current games slower.

http://uneit.com/2008/09/24/intel-core-i7-940-in-real-test/

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
No it wasn't a good time.

The new intel Core i7 processors are coming out next month.

They are up to 50% faster than the fastest quad cores and cost way less then them.

But you already knew that.

They cost less?

The mid range i7 is projected at almost 600 dollars.

Plus, the thing is, I want a computer now... and I don't like buying new stuff till it's been out for a while. *shrug*

Mazza558
October 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM
My desktop (mainly used for Windows gaming) still flies along with Ubuntu today. It's an AMD 3400+ CPU, 1GB of RAM and an (admittedly upgraded) nVidia 7600GS and it's around 4 years old now.

Changturkey
October 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
But the Nehalems and Fusions are just around the corner.

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah, and even my desktop is still in good shape... but my mom needed a new computer and I just wanted something faster. Not cause I needed it. Because I wanted it.

But even still, for what I paid for my cpu/mobo/ram, I guess it aint a bad deal considering the projected prices of the cpu/mobo package for i7, as well as ddr3 ram to go with it.

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
But the Nehalems and Fusions are just around the corner.

Yeah, but also consider price in it too.

jgrabham
October 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Another point, is AMD folks, I was thinking about chucking my Athlon X2 3600 (one of the worst dual core CPUs you can get) for something a bit beefier. Then I though... AM3 mobos will be out soon, meaning AM2 will only go up to xyz cpu. Soo, I am holding on, seeing what AM3 and the new Intels will be like. DDR3 RAM on the other hand.. a bit ahead of its time TBH, I don't think it really has a purpose yet.

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I keep getting too ahead of myself. My single core 3000+ AMD and 2gb of DDR400 RAM did the job just fine, but now I have a quad core Q8200 on my desk with an ASUS P5 Pro mobo and 4gb of DDR2 800 RAM.

For the price, I don't think I could have gotten much better. And considering the best game I play right now is Counterstrike 1.6 (upgrading to source this week after I build the computer) I guess I have no real need for anything more.

I'll hang onto these Quad 775 components. And maybe in a year I'll upgrade if need be. At least I already have a lot of the parts knocked out I'd need to upgrade... only thing to do would be the big 3 that I spoke about earlier. CPU, mobo, ram.

billgoldberg
October 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM
They cost less?

The mid range i7 is projected at almost 600 dollars.

Plus, the thing is, I want a computer now... and I don't like buying new stuff till it's been out for a while. *shrug*

They cost less than the latest quad core is what I said.

And the OP is buying one of those if I remember correctly.

billgoldberg
October 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I read somewhere that they run current games slower.

http://uneit.com/2008/09/24/intel-core-i7-940-in-real-test/

I've read just the opposite the previous day:

http://en.expreview.com/2008/10/06/intel-core-i7-965-50-more-performance-than-qx9770.html

n a recent document sent to partners, Intel pointed out that when comparing Core i7-965 with QX9770, we can get 52% more 3D gaming performance, 38% more rendering performance and 41% more movie editing and conversion performance. (Core i7-965 platform: X58, DDR3 3G, Discrete VGA card, QX9770 platform unknown.)

Roasted
October 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
They cost less than the latest quad core is what I said.

And the OP is buying one of those if I remember correctly.

Right. But in comparison to the quad core I currently have, the price is up there more. That's what I'm saying. I'm not comparing the best quad core 775 vs the cheapest i7, I'm saying that the i7's price range (from what I've read) in comparison to what I paid for my quad core is a decent hike.