PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I disable the focus rectangle in Gnome?

onezero
October 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hello there!

I've recently been noticing the unsightly dotted focus rectangle through the Gnome GUI and was wondering if there is a way to disable it? Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

tuxxy
October 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Do you mean the compiz magnify tool?

If you do simply disable it in your ccsm at accessibility > magnifier

onezero
October 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Hi, thanks for your response.

No, not the magnifier tool. The focus rectangle is a dotted rectangle that surrounds whatever window element that currently has the focus for input.

For instance, if you open a window that has tabs, and select the second tab, you should then see a dotted rectangle around the title of it showing that it currently has the focus.

Edit: I am in the process of uploading a screenshot to show what I mean. :)

onezero
October 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.yourfirefly.com/images/screenshot.jpg

onezero
October 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Bump.

onezero
October 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone? I'm assuming its a simple edit of a style file somewhere, but I'm not sure at all where the gnome theme files are located, or what I'd have to change.

jamarks1
January 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I would also like to know this as well, not to make the focus rectangle go away however; but to make it bigger! I don't like using the mouse and sometimes get lost in Tab Hell trying to look for the 1 pixel dotted focus rectangle. Let's make it 3 pixels and yellow or something. Let's make a small pulsation animation to go along with a change in focus so you can actually see the damn thing.

I've gotten as far as finding the references which denotes the focus rectangle's style. It's focus-line-width, focus-line-pattern, and focus-padding in this (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWidget.html)GtkWidget document. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea which file needs to be changed.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.