PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New software installation: There must be an easier way

lunamystry
October 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
So I my PC is not connected to the internet. I am running Hardy KDE remix. I want to install new software (CodeBlocks, Amarok 2 knightly builds, Kplayer, LMMS, Banshee, some plotting tool forgot the name, a whole lot of other software I would like to try and most important Compiz.) I tried packages.ubuntu.com but finding all those dependancies is a pain and I got Getdeb has a limited number of I got CodeBlocks from there and it had missing dependacies when I tried to install.

Has there been a way to install new software. I don't mind extracting and using make install as long as I can download the software I want and not have to worry about dependacies or an easier way maybe somewhere where I can see which dependacies I would need for say Amarok to run in GNOME ( packages.ubuntu.com lists a whole lot of stuff that the thing depends on but sometimes I already have those deps and I don't wanna waste time with that) I plan to make a clean install with Intrepid Ibex so yeah. Help! I am getting rather frustrated.

Thank you

fballem
October 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
It seems to me, if I'm understanding your request correctly, that a relatively simple solution would be do download the ubuntu repository to DVD. The following tutorial may be helpful.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352460&highlight=download+ubuntu+repository+dvd

Please note that I haven't tried the solution.

Hope this helps,

lunamystry
October 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
YES!!! I forgot about that. Tried it last year but my internet connection was too slow and unreliable to download all those DVDs. There is a ftp site thats in Cape Town (I am in Johannesburg, both in South Africa) that has DVD repos: ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-unofficial-packages-dvd/

Now I hope I can get permission to download these from my University.

Which one do I download out of the Eight for hardy though?

Sef
October 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I refuse to recommend Ubuntu until there's an easier way to install software offline.

Hardy is designed to work with an internet connection.

fballem
October 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Whoops - pasted into the wrong post

lunamystry
October 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hardy is designed to work with an internet connection.

DAMN!!! so I am not going to be recommending ubuntu anytime soon because at the moment South African internet is still an expensive luxury for most of the people I know. They use internet cafes and I use my University internet and sometimes connect my phone up as a modem (when I had a phone) which is also very expensive and I don't download anything.

Back to my question. Which of the hardy things (or hopefully before the last week of the month) or intrepid repos do I download? heres the link again: ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-unofficial-packages-dvd/
(ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-unofficial-packages-dvd/)

I hope not all of them. They seem to be the same so i am guessing I should take the latest of each. I wanna be sure before I go ask.

Partyboi2
October 9th, 2008, 06:07 AM
So I my PC is not connected to the internet. I am running Hardy KDE remix. I want to install new software (CodeBlocks, Amarok 2 knightly builds, Kplayer, LMMS, Banshee, some plotting tool forgot the name, a whole lot of other software I would like to try and most important Compiz.) I tried packages.ubuntu.com but finding all those dependancies is a pain and I got Getdeb has a limited number of I got CodeBlocks from there and it had missing dependacies when I tried to install.

Has there been a way to install new software. I don't mind extracting and using make install as long as I can download the software I want and not have to worry about dependacies or an easier way maybe somewhere where I can see which dependacies I would need for say Amarok to run in GNOME ( packages.ubuntu.com lists a whole lot of stuff that the thing depends on but sometimes I already have those deps and I don't wanna waste time with that) I plan to make a clean install with Intrepid Ibex so yeah. Help! I am getting rather frustrated.

Thank you
Have a look at keryx (http://keryx.betaserver.org/) it could be another option for you.

Edit: I just noticed that keryx is still in its early days.

lunamystry
October 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Well I tried Keryx and though I haven't got it to work on Windows at University I am not sure it is what I wanted.
Here is what I am doing to solve my problem... well try to.
I am asking my University to download the Hardy repositories from here: http://ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-unofficial-packages-dvd/

Then I am going to get Keryx to hopefully work on this school computer and I will use it for updates. If I feel I need them.

Other options are to get AptonCD which didn't work on a new installation last I tried it.

Then there is Bob Song's How to create a DVD with repos.

I think I covered all the things i tried. If you need links I can put them up I am lazy at the mo.

Thank you to everyone.

oygle
November 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Other options are to get AptonCD which didn't work on a new installation last I tried it.

Yes, I beleive APTonCD has some problems, see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=979440)