PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever realized you might be addicted to the terminal

jerome1232
October 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
So I'm humming along today working on various things on my computer and I realise I'm addicted to the terminal, this is just one workspace, I'm using 3 of them.

cardinals_fan
October 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Use a tabbed terminal or screen. I like Sakura :)

smartboyathome
October 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I'm not addicted, but I do use it a lot because I am on Intrepid, and use it for debugging as well as because I have a few command line only programs which I use (like Festival :)).

Kingsley
October 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I used to obsessively check for package updates in the terminal out of habit. After realizing how ridiculous that is, I decided to turn on the update applet. Now my terminals are used obsessively for more useful things. :)

jerome1232
October 8th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Use a tabbed terminal or screen. I like Sakura :)

When I'm working with commands that I'm not familiar with, I'll often use screen to put a man page in the same window that I'm working in, then arrange other terminals to display other man pages I need.

uberdonkey5
October 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I accidently turned off the shut down icon in the menu, and started using the terminal for rebooting (cos I was doing stuff that required rebooting at the time). Then when I fixed the problem I realised that I was still using the terminal all the time to shut down the computer!

but no, I am definately not addicted to the terminal.

P.S. there is a site somewhere which shows how to get a terminal fixed into your wallpaper theme (like a permanent terminal fixed in the back). I'd do it myself but would spoil my pretty wallpaper.

P.S. I have nautilus script for opening terminal in any file and I use ctrl+alt+t shortcut to open a terminal. These have been lifesavers cos I know I have access to the terminal without the necessity to either use icons or the mouse (lost all my panels once!)

qazwsx
October 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
It is quite serious.

Three termial windows open. Multiple tabs open in each of them.:lolflag: Sometimes rhere is also one or more open as separate sessions (ctrl+alt+f1, ctrl+alt+f2 etc).

I usually find GUIs too complicated for example dvd ripping and so on. Terminal commands are so easy.

JohnFH
October 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I used to obsessively check for package updates in the terminal out of habit. After realizing how ridiculous that is, I decided to turn on the update applet. Now my terminals are used obsessively for more useful things. :)

I did that, but I STILL find myself checking for updates in the terminal.

Actually when I was in Windows, I hated getting updates and would put them off constantly, but on Linux it's the exact opposite. I want updates and I want them NOW.

I need help.

SupaSonic
October 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I need help.

You all do. :lolflag:

ajzimm3rman
October 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
So I'm humming along today working on various things on my computer and I realise I'm addicted to the terminal, this is just one workspace, I'm using 3 of them.

Wow.
That is like really awesome.

lisati
October 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Two's the most I normally have open - in a text editor in one, checking the output of some command or other in the other.

Dr Small
October 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I guess I am addicted. Everything I do, is generally preformed in a terminal of some sort.

Chame_Wizard
October 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
only when needed

:guitar:

kaiju
October 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
i use terminals for playing music (mpd & ncmpc) and movies (mplayer), reading news (snownews), most small text writing/editing tasks (nano), chatting (irssi) and sometimes for web browsing too (w3m). i cant really remember when i last used a gui app for system administration, either... but thats just because the cli apps are so much more efficient. if you know what you want, they get you right there without any points and clicks in the way :)