PDA

View Full Version : Linux for a friend

jimi_hendrix
October 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM
If you had a friend who knows nothing about linux but wants to get started, what distro would you set them up with (i am in this situation right now)?

Assume the person has average computer skills

Christmas
October 8th, 2008, 02:40 AM
i'd recommend kubuntu but it's too buggy in my opinion. eventually ubuntu or kubuntu intrepid ibex when it'll be out. debian with kde might also be an option.

pieisgood4589
October 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'd vouch for Xubuntu, but only because Linux Mint has a very faulty upgrade tool. It often breaks the system when upgrading versions, which is dis-proved by the Linux Mint guys themselves. Also, the community editions (Fluxbox, XFCE, etc.) are always many months later than the standard GNOME edition, and buggy as well.

XUBUNTU FTW. :)

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 02:46 AM
If you had a friend who knows nothing about linux but wants to get started, what distro would you set them up with (i am in this situation right now)?

Assume the person has average computer skills

If I could provide support and set it up, Ubuntu.

PCLinuxOS also is pretty good.

aysiu
October 8th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I'd recommend Ubuntu, because I am most familiar with it and can be available to help troubleshoot Ubuntu-specific problems.

SuperSonic4
October 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Ubuntu, it is the most documented: look at how active and large these forums are.

As a second choice: Mandriva is a good choice if he is ok with computers because it looks good :p and has a better kde than kubuntu

Jim!
October 8th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Ubuntu. Because It is the Linux distro I am most familiar with so helping them set it up and get started would be a snap! (hopefully).

cardinals_fan
October 8th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Xubuntu or Mandriva.

smartboyathome
October 8th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I'd recommend Ubuntu, because I am most familiar with it and can be available to help troubleshoot Ubuntu-specific problems.

Same, except I would replace Ubuntu with *buntu, since I got a pretty good amount of knowledge for each of them (except Kubuntu where it is a little lacking).

jimi_hendrix
October 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
thanks all this was pretty helpful...i guess ill try ubuntu and if the install doesnt work the PClinux

jgrabham
October 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
But, distros like Ubuntu don't really teach you... try Arch or Slackware - that'll teach them a lot XD

For minimal config work - use Mint.

ddarsow
October 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Ubuntu is, by far, the most popular and talked about distro. As such, it has very good support and is an excellent choice for noobs. I would suggest helping them set it up, but ubuntu for sure.

jimi_hendrix
October 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Ubuntu is, by far, the most popular and talked about distro. As such, it has very good support and is an excellent choice for noobs. I would suggest helping them set it up, but ubuntu for sure.

i was going to do the install for them...he has a semi old mac will xubuntu still run well on that?

danbuter
October 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Linux Mint. Then I wouldn't have to waste a couple hours installing stuff that should be in Ubuntu already.

earthpigg
October 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Linux Mint. Then I wouldn't have to waste a couple hours installing stuff that should be in Ubuntu already.

"should" is a very flexible term. you are assuming that both Mint and Ubuntu have the same priorities.

for ubuntu,

Legality > Freedom/Philosophy > Ease of Use for a Noob > All

for mint,

Probable Legality > Ease of Use for a Noob > All

(read ">" as "is more important than")

Jim!
October 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Only 30 people have voted in this poll, I guess not to many people recommend Linux.

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Only 30 people have voted in this poll, I guess not to many people recommend Linux.

It isn't very interesting. It is Ubuntu or other. People don't feel enthused about voting for "other".

Jim!
October 9th, 2008, 01:48 AM
It isn't very interesting. It is Ubuntu or other. People don't feel enthused about voting for "other".

But it's all that's necessary. Unless the majority of users on this site are little kids I don't think it would need to be interesting to make a selection and click "vote". Then again I could be wrong :D

Maybe the OP should add the option "I don't recommend Linux"?
(Just a suggestion)

jimi_hendrix
October 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM

well i couldnt think of many beginner friendly distros off the top of my head since ive only used ubuntu

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM
But it's all that's necessary. Unless the majority of users on this site are little kids I don't think it would need to be interesting to make a selection and click "vote". Then again I could be wrong :D

No, humans. Little kids have nothing to do with it. It is an Ubuntu, or anything else poll on an Ubuntu forum.

If it had other distros listed, it would bring up discussion on the various distros, but none are. Basically, it is asking "Do you like Ubuntu", and really not worth voting for.

well i couldnt think of many beginner friendly distros off the top of my head since ive only used ubuntu

In that case, I don't recommend you experiment with other people's computers ;)

Jim!
October 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
No, humans. Little kids have nothing to do with it. It is an Ubuntu, or anything else poll on an Ubuntu forum.

If it had other distros listed, it would bring up discussion on the various distros, but none are. Basically, it is asking "Do you like Ubuntu", and really not worth voting for.

My bad, I forgot what the original OP asked. For some reason I remembered the question as something like "Do you recommend Linux or Ubuntu to other people?"

@OP, How long have you been using Ubuntu for anyway?

Keyper7
October 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM
If the friend does not want any help, but wants an easy distro, probably LinuxMint.

If the friend does not want any help, but wants to learn, perhaps ArchLinux.

If the friend wants help, whatever I'm more familiarized with, which would be Ubuntu.

ODF
October 9th, 2008, 03:15 AM
As a non ubuntu user I just can't recommend Arch or Gentoo. I think ubuntu is just awesome for the new linux user. The community is great ... It is really a nice distribution and aptitude isn't a bad manager =)

ODF
October 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM

I dont recommend linux, I think you just can't force someone to use an os like that.

EnGorDiaz
October 9th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Ubuntu, it is the most documented: look at how active and large these forums are.

As a second choice: Mandriva is a good choice if he is ok with computers because it looks good :p and has a better kde than kubuntu

mandriva looks good ha you are hilarious

cardinals_fan
October 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
mandriva looks good ha you are hilarious
Everyone has their own opinions about looks.