PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the word Ubuntu in my website url?

Ripfox
October 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I know it was a word before it was an OS, but what's the legal deal with this?

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 12:06 AM
What is the proposed URL?

billgoldberg
October 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I know it was a word before it was an OS, but what's the legal deal with this?

Ubuntu is a word so I don't see why.

Even if the website is Ubuntu linux related I don't think Canonical will make a big deal out of it. There are lots of websites with Ubuntu in the domainname.

I'm thinking ubuntugeek, ubuntu-unleashed, ...

Ripfox
October 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I just want to know the real deal legal fine print on this. Ubuntu is an African word and existed well before Ubuntu Linux. It makes no difference if it is www.ubuntusucks.com or www.ubuntuiscool.com

Is it a copyright violation?

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I just want to know the real deal legal fine print on this. Ubuntu is an African word and existed well before Ubuntu Linux. It makes no difference if it is www.ubuntusucks.com or www.ubuntuiscool.com

Is it a copyright violation?

Look at the section named: "Restricted use that requires a trademark license"

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

No matter what people's opinions are, no one here is able to practice law on this forum, and the giving of legal advice is not allowed.

This thread was closed because the answer is written clearly in the trademark policy and any input here would be unlawful legal practice, or off topic, not because of any other reason, least of all the example uri's given...

Restricted use that requires a trademark license

Permission from us is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These include:

Any commercial use
Use on or in relation to a software product that includes or is built on top of a product supplied by us, if there is any commercial intent associated with that product.
Use in a domain name or URL.