PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot problems on Medion laptop

fairfield
October 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I run 8.04 and 8.10 beta on a Fujitsu Lifebook laptop and both of them work fine. I also have a very recent Medion laptop on which I have several Linux distros installed. They all work great, except Ubuntu. With 8.04 and 8.10 beta I have problems on this laptop. I have exactly the same problems with Ubuntu clones or derivatives, such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint. The Ubuntu live CD worked OK and the installation went without problems. Again, one out of 10 times it does boot up correctly!

The problem is: when I boot, the systems hangs 9 out of 10 times. Usually after I type my pwd and hit return. I either see a lightbrown screen or a screen full of numbers, which look like addresses. It even happens when I use the boot option "last successful boot" in 8.10 beta.

I feel this problem has something to do with a specific hardware component in the Medion, which Ubuntu does not seem to like. I can list all of these components, but let's first see if someone can point me in the right direction. Video card? Hard drive controller? Ethernet card?

Also, could I perhaps bypass this boot problems by changing the boot options? I tried acpi=off but that had no effect.

Thanks.

Fairfield