PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth has unusually good timing..

Sand Lee
October 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
... or just really good connections

For 8.10 he said (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-February/025136.html),

A particular focus for us will be pervasive internet access, the
ability to tap into bandwidth whenever and wherever you happen to
be. No longer will you need to be a tethered, domesticated animal -
you'll be able to roam (and goats do roam!) the wild lands and
access the web through a variety of wireless technologies. We want
you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home,
staying connected all the way.

And what do you know? Network Manager 0.7 in Intrepid! Though its probable this was pre-planned.

For 9.04 he said (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000481.html),

There are some specific goals that we need to meet in Jaunty. One of
them is boot time. We want Ubuntu to boot as fast as possible - both in
the standard case, and especially when it is being tailored to a
specific device. The Jackalope is known for being so fast that it's
extremely hard to catch, and breeds only when lightning flashes. Let's
see if we can make booting or resuming Ubuntu blindingly quick.
And what do you know? There were just some recent advancements in boot time:
Mandriva developer talks about Linux boot optimization (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/09/30/mandriva-developer-talks-about-linux-boot-optimization)
Intel Devs Boot Linux in five seconds (http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/)

DrMega
October 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
That's great, but its a shame he didn't say something like:

It is our goal for the next release to make sure all video issues, including the seemingly common tearing effect, and the ever annoying slow Flash refresh rate. Also we intend to use our influence to put pressure on the makers of more common hardware to develop good quality, readily available, Linux compatible device drivers for their kit. We also aim to ensure that the issue that arose from the release of 8.04 that caused DrMega's machine to freeze up so frequently that it became unusable and he had to revert to 7.10 for the foreseeable future.

Ub1476
October 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM
All this is probably planned before he make his announcments. He probably have plans forward till the next LTS release. But sometimes new things come along (like the hacking the Mandriva devs and some Eee pc guys have been doing with boot), and they figure it's a good (and easy) time to do this in Ubuntu too. Actually, I'm quite sure he said fast boot and login was scheduled for Intrepid too, however I do not feel any difference.

L815
October 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM

You hit the spot. Those are a bit annoying -_-

perce
October 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm quite sure he said fast boot and login was scheduled for Intrepid too, however I do not feel any difference.

I think he (or someone else in the staff) has been saying that since Edgy, nevertheless my computer got slower and slower. He (or someone else in the staff) also said that Gutsy would improve battery time, but it cut 40 minutes to me.

Half-Left
October 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
There's a difference between saying it and doing it, he does tend to talk alot and at the same time not contribute to the effort.

I.e if Redhat make linux boot quicker before Ubuntu's next release, he can say they pulled it off. :p

I dont why ubuntu has got slower booting, relatime for EXT3 and readahead would help this, for some reason, Linux mint elyssa does seem faster on boot.

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Canonical doesn't make Flash or control it. gnash isn't so usable yet, although I know a few who use it.

AusIV4
October 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
He (or someone else in the staff) also said that Gutsy would improve battery time, but it cut 40 minutes to me.

My experience with the Gutsy battery life bit was that the power manager's predictions became more accurate, not that I actually had any less battery life.

For example, in Feisty, my battery would report about 3 hours 15 minutes when it was fully charged, and after five minutes, it would be reporting 3 hours 9 minutes. In the end, I'd get about 2 hours 45 minutes. The power manager at that time erred optimistically, and as a result made it look like you had more battery life than you actually did.

I had the same reaction when Gutsy came out: "What happened to my battery life?" But when I realized it was accurate (rather than about 20% too optimistic) I decided I liked the new power manager. (Plus they introduced CPU scaling, which does cut back on power consumption a bit).

DrMega
October 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Canonical doesn't make Flash or control it. gnash isn't so usable yet, although I know a few who use it.

I know, but Canonical must have some influence by now. Ubuntu is getting a stronger following all the time.

Besides, my point was really about multimedia in general. Ubuntu by default is rubbish for anything media related. Even the codecs are not downloaded (I know there are legal reasons for that in America, but not in Europe and Europe is a big place). The default video player is the GStreamer version of Totem which is, lets be honest, awful. I've seen numerous posts about the video tearing issue but have never seen or heard of anyone resolving it (cue lots of people proving me wrong - please do because I'd love to fix it on my machines), setting up a media PC in Ubuntu is a good few hours work, and many games even in the repos only partially work unless you prepared to put the effort in to find out what's missing etc.

I'm not slating Ubuntu, it is the OS I've settled with and while I might try others, it will only be out of curiosity rather than the desire to switch, but there are numerous areas where Ubuntu could really do with a bit more of a polishing up.

sicofante
October 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm absolutely with you, DrMega. It's just embarrasing to show anyone a video clip on a default Ubuntu install. It's a bit surprising that it takes so little attention from The Lord.

(BTW: Which distro would you recommend for a tearing-free video experience or HTPC?)

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Odd. On Windows, I can't play my media at all whereas Ubuntu does it out of the box.

Sand Lee
October 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I know, but Canonical must have some influence by now. Ubuntu is getting a stronger following all the time.

[...] Even the codecs are not downloaded (I know there are legal reasons for that in America, but not in Europe and Europe is a big place). [...] I've seen numerous posts about the video tearing issue but have never seen or heard of anyone resolving it (cue lots of people proving me wrong - please do because I'd love to fix it on my machines).

And here I thought your first comment was satirical.

The codecs are not downloaded by default for legal reasons in the US as you said, but they aren't much of hassle - if at all - to obtain with the automatic codec downloader. If codecs were included (and you were in the U.S., like I am), there would be a legal barrier for even downloading the distribution in the first place.

Polygon
October 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM

too bad he has no control over the binary video drivers since they are closed source. he can say stuff all he wants on this matter but its unlikely to do anything

perce
October 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
My experience with the Gutsy battery life bit was that the power manager's predictions became more accurate, not that I actually had any less battery life.

I checked battery life with a watch. I also must say, I didn't test it the day before and the day after, but more like after buying the computer, and six months later after installing Gutsy, so it may have been a normal aging of the battery in those six months.

Exsecrabilus
October 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM

For 8.10 he said (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-February/025136.html),

And what do you know? Network Manager 0.7 in Intrepid! Though its probable this was pre-planned.

For 9.04 he said (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000481.html),

And what do you know? There were just some recent advancements in boot time:
Mandriva developer talks about Linux boot optimization (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/09/30/mandriva-developer-talks-about-linux-boot-optimization)
Intel Devs Boot Linux in five seconds (http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/)
Uhh, have you not realized that NM 0.7 hasn't been released yet? He didn't have good timing, he watched the cycles of Network Manager and predicted that it would be released sometime around Intrepid's release. In fact, he wasn't even correct, 0.7 didn't even get released yet, even though there are talks of releasing it again and again. Network Manager could be in alpha-beta stage, as a matter of fact, and they would still go ahead with it if they wished.

DrMega
October 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm absolutely with you, DrMega. It's just embarrasing to show anyone a video clip on a default Ubuntu install. It's a bit surprising that it takes so little attention from The Lord.

(BTW: Which distro would you recommend for a tearing-free video experience or HTPC?)

I haven't tried many distros. I tried a few but Ubuntu was the only one that I've tried that nearly does everything I want. It is an excellent distro but just needs a bit more work in the multimedia area in my opinion. The odd thing is that most of the issues I've encountered can be resolved, and there are HowTos on this very forum that go a long way towards sorting stuff. That's why I can't understand why some of the issues are there in the first place if they can be resolved with a bit of config effort. For example, I've seen many recommendations on here to ditch Totem-GStreamer and put the Xine version in its place, a recomendation that I myself support because it works much better, so if many others agree then why should the default setup have the GStreamer version. This is just one example.

Odd. On Windows, I can't play my media at all whereas Ubuntu does it out of the box.

That's strange, because many common media files are in formats derived from MPEG, which Windows supports out of the box.

The codecs are not downloaded by default for legal reasons in the US as you said, but they aren't much of hassle - if at all - to obtain with the automatic codec downloader. If codecs were included (and you were in the U.S., like I am), there would be a legal barrier for even downloading the distribution in the first place.

I agree, the codecs are not difficult to get, but nor are they totally straightforward. There are guides on this forum and elsewhere on the internet for getting them all, but it is not as simple as downloading one package (or it might be after Gutsy but as Hardy keeps freezing for me I can't comment). Also, once you've got the codecs, it would be nice if certain apps were configured to use them if they are there. For example SoundJuicer could be configured to create MP3s if the codecs are there. I know in Linux land we use Oggs, but if your car stereo supports MP3s but not Oggs, then you have to mess about manually configuring stuff.

These are just examples by the way, to highlight my point. I'm not saying I could do better, but it would be nice if it was given a bit more priority.

too bad he has no control over the binary video drivers since they are closed source. he can say stuff all he wants on this matter but its unlikely to do anything

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps focusing on the office productivity and server roles will help capture the industry side of the market, which will be more profitable for Canonical (I know Ubuntu is free, but they charge for premium support of Ubuntu, and why not?). Canonical must have some influence by now, so perhaps some of the influence could be put to good use. I guess there is a problem that because Ubuntu is not licensed per machine (and I'm glad that's the case), it is impossible to take definitive figures about usage. If Mr Shuttleworth could say "I have x million users using my OS as opposed to Windows, and they are buying hardware from your rival who supports us better", then maybe companies would make more of an effort. I don't have the answer to that problem, but then I'm not a highly successful businessman like Mr Shuttleworth is.

Sand Lee
October 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Uhh, have you not realized that NM 0.7 hasn't been released yet?

I can't help but sense an undertone of negativity in your post, but nevertheless you're right, NM 0.7 wasn't exactly released yet.

He didn't have good timing, he watched the cycles of Network Manager and predicted that it would be released sometime around Intrepid's release. In fact, he wasn't even correct, 0.7 didn't even get released yet, even though there are talks of releasing it again and again. Network Manager could be in alpha-beta stage, as a matter of fact, and they would still go ahead with it if they wished.

OK, but let's not judge him off the assumptions we make of his thoughts.

Exsecrabilus
October 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I can't help but sense an undertone of negativity in your post, but nevertheless you're right, NM 0.7 wasn't exactly released yet.

OK, but let's not judge him off the assumptions we make of his thoughts.
Sorry. I tend to get uh, how do you say it, harsh.

Sand Lee
October 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I agree, the codecs are not difficult to get, but nor are they totally straightforward. There are guides on this forum and elsewhere on the internet for getting them all, but it is not as simple as downloading one package (or it might be after Gutsy but as Hardy keeps freezing for me I can't comment).
When you try to play a .wmv file, a dialog box appears asking if you'd like to find the appropriate codecs needed to play the file. Click on search and the recommended/required codec packages appear in an add/remove style app. Check off the boxes, click install, and the codecs you need to play the file are installed. I can't how this process can be made simpler while still keeping the balance against legality. If you can improve this process though, I'm confident a bug report to launchpad would be enough to fix this problem(?).

Also, once you've got the codecs, it would be nice if certain apps were configured to use them if they are there. For example SoundJuicer could be configured to create MP3s if the codecs are there.

As for the apps not being configured to use installed codecs, was the SoundJuicer example an actual problem or was it hypothetical? I haven't heard of or experienced this problem before. And from your comment I get the impression that you're still using Gutsy [and of course, every new release ships with new features/bug-fixes]

Yeesh, this thread is not turning out like I thought it would. :lolflag:

Sealbhach
October 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
There's a difference between saying it and doing it, he does tend to talk alot and at the same time not contribute to the effort.

I don't think that's fair. At the very least he's put a lot of cash into Ubuntu. More than I have.:)

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
That's strange, because many common media files are in formats derived from MPEG, which Windows supports out of the box.

Yes, but that is not what I use.

Ubuntu supports as many formats as it can, and doesn't work to restrict users, unlike those formats that are not included.

sicofante
October 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Yeesh, this thread is not turning out like I thought it would. :lolflag:
Well, the guy is clever, he has a lot to do with the success of Linux, he "sees" things coming probably because he himself is deciding what comes next, etc., etc., etc. It's just surprising that he's putting a lot of press on "we'll be better than Mac in two years" (and he's hiring professional designers and usability experts finally!!!) while at the same time he doesn't seem to be able to do vertical sync right... (which is just sooo basic).

sicofante
October 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Oh, then let's forget about the most standard video format there is. I don't know what these video developers were thinking...

Changturkey
October 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Maybe next time he tells us there is going to be a interface change, he should schedule it for GNOME 3.0.

Sand Lee
October 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Maybe next time he tells us there is going to be a interface change, he should schedule it for GNOME 3.0.

:lolflag:

wolfen69
October 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Besides, my point was really about multimedia in general. Ubuntu by default is rubbish for anything media related.

i am a multimedia junkie and have no problems doing anything.

and if you are saying that just because it doesn't have most codecs installed by default that it is no good, you would be mistaken. it takes me all of 5 minutes to get every codec i need. i do ripping, encoding and burning, without fail. besides, most os's don't come with codecs anyway, so i don't see what the big deal is.

DrMega
October 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
When you try to play a .wmv file, a dialog box appears asking if you'd like to find the appropriate codecs needed to play the file. Click on search and the recommended/required codec packages appear in an add/remove style app. Check off the boxes, click install, and the codecs you need to play the file are installed. I can't how this process can be made simpler while still keeping the balance against legality. If you can improve this process though, I'm confident a bug report to launchpad would be enough to fix this problem(?).

What happens if you put an encrypted movie DVD in a fresh Ubuntu install?

As for the apps not being configured to use installed codecs, was the SoundJuicer example an actual problem or was it hypothetical? I haven't heard of or experienced this problem before.

It's a real situation, not hypothetical.

And from your comment I get the impression that you're still using Gutsy [and of course, every new release ships with new features/bug-fixes]

Yep, I'm still using Gutsy. I'm one of the many people who posted on this forum to report that Hardy freezes so often it was unusable for me. There are recent posts that suggest this is a kernel issue that is still happening, so I'm not going to try it again yet. For those who were lucky with Hardy, it sounds great, but if you happy to be in the significant minority who found it unusable, then claims that everything is fixed in Hardy won't help.

Ubuntu supports as many formats as it can, and doesn't work to restrict users, unlike those formats that are not included.

And Ubuntu is great in its support for multimedia that uses open standards, but that doesn't help much if all the media you've accumulated over the years is in MPEG variants, and you can't find a car stereo to buy that supports OGG.

i am a multimedia junkie and have no problems doing anything.

and if you are saying that just because it doesn't have most codecs installed by default that it is no good, you would be mistaken. it takes me all of 5 minutes to get every codec i need. i do ripping, encoding and burning, without fail. besides, most os's don't come with codecs anyway, so i don't see what the big deal is.

Did you solve the video tearing issue? If so could you explain how please because it is one of my biggest frustrations (it happens in everything video related - games, movies, even the screensaver). It has happened with both ATI and nVidia graphics cards on machines running Dapper and Gutsy.

forrestcupp
October 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Multimedia is not hard or time consuming. If you type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasit automatically sets you up with all your codecs (including Windows Media), DVD support, Java, and I think Flash.

As for the tearing, I use nvidia, and I never have that problem even with Compiz running. What drivers are you using? And, you're not trying to run it in Xgl, are you?

As for Oggs in Windows. It's almost as easy to set Windows up to play Oggs as it is to set Ubuntu up to play mp3's. The codecs are easy to download and install in Windows.

This seems more like a support thread than a thread discussing Mark Shuttleworth's clairvoyance.

Polygon
October 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
What happens if you put an encrypted movie DVD in a fresh Ubuntu install?

it is >>ILLEGAL<< to include dvd playback support in ubuntu without paying some organization mass amounts of money. Did you never hear the lawsuit storm that came across the guy who wrote libdvdcss library? since ubuntu is free, this cant be done legally.

And Ubuntu is great in its support for multimedia that uses open standards, but that doesn't help much if all the media you've accumulated over the years is in MPEG variants, and you can't find a car stereo to buy that supports OGG.

either install vlc, which can play like any format under the sun, or install ubuntu restricted extras and all the gstreamer codec packages, takes like 5 minutes. And of course, we run into again, it is most likely illegal to include these codecs on a default install since ubuntu is free, and you most likely have to pay to use these codecs. which is also why vlc is not installed by default

Did you solve the video tearing issue? If so could you explain how please because it is one of my biggest frustrations (it happens in everything video related - games, movies, even the screensaver). It has happened with both ATI and nVidia graphics cards on machines running Dapper and Gutsy.

it has never happened to me, and ive run ubuntu on both ati and nvidia cards. it might be a problem with a certain driver version or card model. report a bug, and hope for the best.

UbuWu
October 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
it is >>ILLEGAL<< to include dvd playback support in ubuntu without paying some organization mass amounts of money.

Only in certain (one?) countries. But aside of that, Ubuntu could definitely handle that situation better than it currently does.

AusIV4
October 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Only in certain (one?) countries. But aside of that, Ubuntu could definitely handle that situation better than it currently does.

Ubuntu finally offers a legal option for those who want to play DVDs. It's a bit pricey, but it's cheaper than a full fledged operating system. Anyone who doesn't want to pay the $50 can search Google for "Play DVDs on Ubuntu" and find a quick and easy tutorial.

Care to elaborate on how they could handle it better? I'm sure they're open to suggestions.

sicofante
October 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Tearing does happen in every Ubuntu installation. Some video cards are fast enough that some people won't notice, but an educated eye will see it always. Most people don't even know what tearing is and take it for granted that "this is how video looks in a computer screen".

This single issue shows how little Linux (not just Ubuntu) cares about multimedia quality. Of course there are a thousand options to tweak every player or driver or config file, but by default PQ (picture quality) on an Ubuntu box is just awful, and it's nowhere easy or simple (if ever possible, I'm also interested to know about a decent howto) to get rid of artifacts like tearing, which is unacceptable for any self-respected videophile.

But Mark Shuttleworth can't announce better PQ in Ubuntu video because he's not making developments in that area. He's committed (understandably) to impress enterprises who will pay for support. Hopefully, when the business gets better, he might care for audio and video. Or he might as well understand that a growing popularity among "the masses" would drive CEOs attention equally well... or better (check Apple, again).

phrostbyte
October 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Tearing does happen in every Ubuntu installation. Some video cards are fast enough that some people won't notice, but an educated eye will see it always. Most people don't even know what tearing is and take it for granted that "this is how video looks in a computer screen".

This single issue shows how little Linux (not just Ubuntu) cares about multimedia quality. Of course there are a thousand options to tweak every player or driver or config file, but by default PQ (picture quality) on an Ubuntu box is just awful, and it's nowhere easy or simple (if ever possible, I'm also interested to know about a decent howto) to get rid of artifacts like tearing, which is unacceptable for any self-respected videophile.

But Mark Shuttleworth can't announce better PQ in Ubuntu video because he's not making developments in that area. He's committed (understandably) to impress enterprises who will pay for support. Hopefully, when the business gets better, he might care for audio and video. Or he might as well understand that a growing popularity among "the masses" would drive CEOs attention equally well... or better (check Apple, again).

I have absolutely no issue with video tearing on Nvidia. This issue is due to INTEL and AMD drivers not being able to hardware accelerate two things at once. It is fixed if you disable Compiz.

sicofante
October 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I have absolutely no issue with video tearing on Nvidia. This issue is due to INTEL and AMD drivers not being able to hardware accelerate two things at once. It is fixed if you disable Compiz.
Or maybe you're one of those who just "don't see it" or your graphics card is so fast it's hard to perceive... I build systems for a living and I have seen it happen in every graphics card I've tried (I use mainly NVIDIA -onboard and discreet-, but I've used some ATIs -onboard and discreet- and Intels too -onboard only, obviously). Disabling Compiz is not a solution. Compiz is part of default Ubuntu now.

UbuWu
October 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ubuntu finally offers a legal option for those who want to play DVDs. It's a bit pricey, but it's cheaper than a full fledged operating system. Anyone who doesn't want to pay the $50 can search Google for "Play DVDs on Ubuntu" and find a quick and easy tutorial.

Care to elaborate on how they could handle it better? I'm sure they're open to suggestions.

Sure. Just insert a DVD when you have no codecs installed yet. It should offer you to install the needed software or offer an option to buy it. Currently not much happens. And yes, I have suggested this with no effect.

simtaalo
October 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM

the best linux distro ive used for media stuff all out-the-box is linux mint, im currently running linux mint Elyssa x64 RC1.

forrestcupp
October 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Or maybe you're one of those who just "don't see it" or your graphics card is so fast it's hard to perceive... I build systems for a living and I have seen it happen in every graphics card I've tried (I use mainly NVIDIA -onboard and discreet-, but I've used some ATIs -onboard and discreet- and Intels too -onboard only, obviously). Disabling Compiz is not a solution. Compiz is part of default Ubuntu now.

Can you explain to me in descriptive words exactly what tearing is and where you would see it? Does it take place in the whole desktop experience, or is it just videos?

lswb
October 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I have to agree with this also. What is especially annoying to me is that video playback worked without any problems in dapper. On the same system running hardy, I often get the tearing and distortion and sometimes "missing plugin" errors that did not occur in dapper.

edit: And I forgot to add crashing the system that never happens in dapper, too.

sicofante
October 12th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Can you explain to me in descriptive words exactly what tearing is and where you would see it? Does it take place in the whole desktop experience, or is it just videos?
I'll try (but remember English is not my first language).

Your monitor shows frames (pictures) at a given frequency, let's say 60 per second. Your graphics card creates frames at some rate which isn't usually that very same number (it dependes on the graphics workload and the power of the graphics card). Because of that, sometimes your monitor will be showing parts of two consecutive frames rendered by the graphics card at different points in time, so the picture appears like a "torn" piece of paper showing one picture in a half and another in the other half.

The easiest way to look for tearing is moving a window around as fast as possible. You will see your pictures broken in two by a line that will usually be diagonal. Compiz puts a lot of strain on graphics cards by making everything be rendered by the card's 3D engine, so it's easier that tearing appears when it's enabled.

The chance of seeing tearing decreases with the speed (power) of your graphics card. When frames are drawn faster than your monitor's refresh rate, chances are that they have been completely drawn when your monitor shows the next frame. However, that's not a very elegant approach and won't completely eliminate the problem.

The solution to tearing is having the graphics card synchronized with your monitor's frequency so both the monitor and the graphics card draw frames at the same time. I don't know the innards of the graphics pipeline in Linux, but it looks to me like driver developers, Xorg developers, Compiz developers, etc., etc., etc. don't seem to talk a lot about the issue, which is what amazes me. I've worked in computer graphics for the most part of my professional life and syncing has always been a priority for the professionals I've known.

Tearing becomes especially annoying when watching long videos or movies, but some people (like myself) find it equally objectionable when using the desktop.

(Here's the Wikipedia entry on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing)

forrestcupp
October 13th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'll try (but remember English is not my first language).

You did a great job. I can't tell that English is not your first language. Now I understand what it is, and yes, I have noticed it. I got into the compizconfig-settings-manager and found an option to "Sync to Vblank". When I checked that option, it pretty much took care of that problem for me. I actually can't believe the difference.

Luke has no name
October 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I still can't connect to my university's MS-infused wireless network (MSCHAPv2 / LEAP / WPA2 Enterprise or some mix of those).

So much for seamless internet.

sicofante
October 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I got into the compizconfig-settings-manager and found an option to "Sync to Vblank". When I checked that option, it pretty much took care of that problem for me. I actually can't believe the difference.
That's what should happen. You're a lucky one. The problem is that solution doesn't work far too many times.

forrestcupp
October 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM
That's what should happen. You're a lucky one. The problem is that solution doesn't work far too many times.

I hate to hear that. I'm sure the reason I'm lucky is because the problem was barely noticeable on my machine to begin with.

Chame_Wizard
October 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Not all applications works out the box,you still can add it(M$ always rebooting).:lolflag:

ogredeschnique
November 2nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Wasn't there something I heard about Intrepid supposed to be having 100% compatibility with the eeepc? Aside from not being able to connect to my own home network with my eeepc900. Out of the box I mean.

A particular focus for us will be pervasive internet access, the
ability to tap into bandwidth whenever and wherever you happen to
be. No longer will you need to be a tethered, domesticated animal -
you'll be able to roam (and goats do roam!) the wild lands and
access the web through a variety of wireless technologies. We want
you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home,
staying connected all the way.
Seriously?