PDA

View Full Version : Domain and email question

cartisdm
October 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Lately I've been asking everyone here a bunch of questions about my new business, hopefully it's not getting annoying:) Thanks to everyone so far for all the help

I need to purchase a domain and get an official email address (@gmail.com doesn't look professional). I'm not worried about getting the website up right away, but how do I go about getting an email address? A friend mentioned to me that google(gmail) does something, but I didn't know what he was talking about.

Right now there's just me, one other owner, and one employee that will need an address. Further down the road, of course, I'll need more but I can cross that road when I get there.

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Lately I've been asking everyone here a bunch of questions about my new business, hopefully it's not getting annoying:) Thanks to everyone so far for all the help

I need to purchase a domain and get an official email address (@gmail.com doesn't look professional). I'm not worried about getting the website up right away, but how do I go about getting an email address? A friend mentioned to me that google(gmail) does something, but I didn't know what he was talking about.

My host, freehostia.com, allows you to have email address if you have your own domains registered. I assume other hosts allow the same.

cartisdm
October 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
My host, freehostia.com, allows you to have email address if you have your own domains registered. I assume other hosts allow the same.

So I just have to go to one of those sites like godaddy or freehostia and pay like $15yr for an available domain I want to use?

stmiller
October 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, once you own the domain, you likewise own control of email for that domain. Most hosting companies (godaddy, 1and1, etc) have a web based login for customers. There you can create email addresses, and change other settings for your domain.

I pay $4/month for 1and1 hosting, 150GB of web space and 1200 email addresses. :) Hosting is pretty darn cheap these days.

cartisdm
October 7th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Any chance I'll be looking at any additional/hidden fees? Or is it basically just that relatively small yearly fee? Seems awfully cheap to me, I won't need much space right now since I won't have a website up. I can always upgrade later

elmer_42
October 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Personally, I am going to use Nearly Free Speech (https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/) when I get around to making a website. You can register domains through them if you need to, and while they don't have "real" email support, you can get an address at any domain you have forwarded to a GMail account, and you can set up GMail to automatically send from your business account whenever an email is sent to the business account. It's about $7.30 a year.

NOTE: I'm not affiliated with them, but they seem like a VERY nice way to host a web site.

cartisdm
October 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. It helps out a lot to get different opinions. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions for you all shortly:):):)

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 04:33 AM
freehostia.com is very good and they have several plans. Their free plan is one of the best I have seen, as they allow email like you want (if you have your own domain, I use a sub domain).

It is cheap for low traffic sites. You won't be able to run amazon, but you can run small business on them.