PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRAMPS help!!!

toddbmobile
October 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
This will probably be an easy answer for someone, but for some reason it has eluded me. I have upgraded many times to different versions of Ubuntu and GRAMPS, and I love them both. I however have a small problem with GRAMPS. When I attach all my pictures to the gramps database it of course is referencing a path in my Ubuntu installation (ex./home/mydir/). Sometimes when I upgrade to new versions of Ubuntu I might change the name of my home directory, which of course kills the path to where my pictures are instead of /home/mydir/ ("mydir" my old home directory) to /home/newdir/ (where "newdir" is the name of my new home directory).

So my question is, is there a quick an easy way to change the images path for all images at once in GRAMPS, so that all my images will show up again instead of "Xs?"

Buster95
October 7th, 2008, 05:47 AM
No much help but I have experienced a different version of what is probably the same issue.

I backed up my file using the GRAMPS package tool, so that my attached objects (.jpeg photos and documents) would also back up. However, when I reloaded the backup, some objects had been replaced by "X" place markers.

That led me to form the view that GRAMPS is not backing up objects during package backup. It's only backing up the absolute pathways to the original data.

While that may be economical in disk usage, I'm not sure if it's really "backup". I'll have to think about this a bit more and maybe learn a bit more about GRAMPS before putting all my genealogical eggs in this basket.

Cheers