PDA

View Full Version : Good computer store in NY?

bobbob1016
October 6th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I am going up to New York to help my mom buy a computer. I said newegg or tigerdirect would be cheaper, but she doesn't want to do that. So I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on a store with good cheap laptops. Not cheap as in break soon, I mean as in not overpriced like BestBuy. She said near her there is only really a BestBuy and a Circuit City, and PC Richards or something. She's near the Queensboro bridge in Manhattan.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I am going up to New York to help my mom buy a computer. I said newegg or tigerdirect would be cheaper, but she doesn't want to do that. So I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on a store with good cheap laptops. Not cheap as in break soon, I mean as in not overpriced like BestBuy. She said near her there is only really a BestBuy and a Circuit City, and PC Richards or something. She's near the Queensboro bridge in Manhattan.

NYC is huge and I can't give a specific answer.

What does she want? Something hyper portable? Something robust? A desktop replacement?

What OS also...

Circuit City can have good prices if you look.

If she wants a reputable online dealer, Dell would be much more convenient I think (and, they sell laptops with Ubuntu) and they allow much customisation.

bobbob1016
October 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I know it's a big city, been there a number of times since she moved there. Close to the Queensboro bridge in Manhattan is all I know, since I don't know streets too well. She doesn't need to move it around, but she still thinks she needs a laptop. I was hoping there'd be a mom an pop store or something. I'm in FL and we have the new CompUSA/TigerDirect stores, not that bad on prices, but there aren't any in NY.

She needs something really basic, I like Acer, but am not adverse to anyone else, apart from Toshiba or HP (until you remove the bloat). She doesn't want to order online. I would've suggested a Mac, but I can't get her to get a $1200 laptop, and she wouldn't want a Mini. If I lived closer, I would Ubuntu it, but I need something she can get support on if she needs it.

Edit: Yes, I used Ubuntu as a verb.

niccholaspage
October 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I know it's a big city, been there a number of times since she moved there. Close to the Queensboro bridge in Manhattan is all I know, since I don't know streets too well. She doesn't need to move it around, but she still thinks she needs a laptop. I was hoping there'd be a mom an pop store or something. I'm in FL and we have the new CompUSA/TigerDirect stores, not that bad on prices, but there aren't any in NY.

She needs something really basic, I like Acer, but am not adverse to anyone else, apart from Toshiba or HP (until you remove the bloat). She doesn't want to order online. I would've suggested a Mac, but I can't get her to get a $1200 laptop, and she wouldn't want a Mini. If I lived closer, I would Ubuntu it, but I need something she can get support on if she needs it.

Edit: Yes, I used Ubuntu as a verb.
What ever you do, PLEASE DON'T GET A TOSHIBA! I have a Toshiba Laptop and it was driving me nuts when I first got it with Wireless issues and whatnot. I would recommend Dell. Very good customization.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM

I've been to NYC before. Fun, for short periods of time, but I was glad to get home.

Hmm. I suggest getting something from a big store, like Circuit City, because their prices aren't bad, and also because they will be able to provide (sub par, but at least they'll be there) support.

Could you order something and have it shipped to her or something? Or does she want to be there so you can't pull that?

bobbob1016
October 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
What ever you do, PLEASE DON'T GET A TOSHIBA! I have a Toshiba Laptop and it was driving me nuts when I first got it with Wireless issues and whatnot. I would recommend Dell. Very good customization.

I agree with that, I will never buy a Toshiba. I'm not sure where to get a Dell apart from ordering it, but she doesn't want to order it online. I know BestBuy and Walmart sell Dell, that's about it. Other than that, I'd get her an Acer. I was just wondering what a good mom and pop PC store, or a place cheaper than BestBuy/Circuit City.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I was just wondering what a good mom and pop PC store, or a place cheaper than BestBuy/Circuit City.

You. Sell her one and get it from whereever you want :-)

Well, perhaps some New Yorkers will know.

bobbob1016
October 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM
That was my thought, but I don't have one to give her. I'm a college student, so I don't have the cash to even put up money to get her one. I'll wait to see if a New Yorker can help.

I-75
October 7th, 2008, 02:08 AM
There is Micro Center, on Westbury Long Island and nearby Paterson NJ. I go to the one in Sharonville (near Cincinnati). I think its the best (brick and mortar) computer store out there, they sell Linux machines (even a power Spec with Ubuntu for $199). They also sell Mac, and harder to find XP machines. I also got some great deals on closeout books at the store. Just for the record, I don't work there...just buy a lot from there.

bobbob1016
October 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I looked up Micro Center on Google Maps. The Westbury one is a bit far, at least an hour to an hour and a half out. I found one in Manhattan still

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=micro%20center%20new%20york&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Either E or G would work though.

Edit: On reading the Google Maps locations, the ones it showed me, turns out they aren't the same thing. I'll look when I get there I guess. Leaving tomorrow. Thanks for the help, if anyone can suggest something in Manhattan before tomorrow, I'd appreciate it.

shuttleworthwannabe
October 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
How about J&R? They downtown near Fulton Station/Ground Zero. Gee brings back memories...

bobbob1016
October 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
How about J&R? They downtown near Fulton Station/Ground Zero. Gee brings back memories...

I'll ask her, but she's up on 57th now, and that is pretty far from the J&R location I'm seeing (A on the map below)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=J%26R&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

notwen
October 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
J&R was lots of fun walking around. I've ordered several things from them and have also purchased some stuff there when visiting the Big Apple. =]