PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fast and Intuitive Task Swicher

milarepa
October 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I usually have several GUI applications running at the same time. I find that every time I want to switch between applications I need to use alt-tab like in windows, but I find this process tedious. Then I found SuperSwitcher, but still you need to scroll between the applications with the arrow keys. I really need something quicker, like this:

Ctrl + 1: Terminal
Ctrl + 2: Emacs
Ctrl + 3: Firefox
Ctrl + 4: Evolution

Basically when pressing the keybinding it will switch to the correspondent application. If application is not running on the system and the keybinding is press, it will launch the application.

I think it is a nice feature to have and a time saver.

Please welcome any thoughts.

TheOrangePeanut
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure because I've never tried to use that kind of functionality, but it would be a time saver and be totally awesome. Hope someone has a prog for this.

roger_1960
October 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi

Are you running GUI applications without a GUI desktop? Most people use the mouse/touchpad to select the application or startup icon on the taskbar.

milarepa
October 6th, 2008, 10:38 PM
In my experience using the keyboard is quicker than using the mouse. I actually use that feature in Windows XP using KeyText to switch between applications with key shortcuts, but I find it really hard to get that in Linux/Ubuntu.

milarepa
February 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I usually have several GUI applications running at the same time. I find that every time I want to switch between applications I need to use alt-tab like in windows, but I find this process tedious. Then I found SuperSwitcher, but still you need to scroll between the applications with the arrow keys. I really need something quicker, like this:

Ctrl + 1: Terminal
Ctrl + 2: Emacs
Ctrl + 3: Firefox
Ctrl + 4: Evolution

Basically when pressing the keybinding it will switch to the correspondent application. If application is not running on the system and the keybinding is press, it will launch the application.

I think it is a nice feature to have and a time saver.

Please welcome any thoughts.
To achieve the same feature that KeyText under Windows I used XbindKeys together with wmctrl and devilspie scripts.