PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] what do you think of my web page design project

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I created a webpage for web page design class(im still in highschool and fairly new to ubuntu), and i was wondering what everyone thought of it so far. Its due at the end of the year which is months away so its not the best yet. Also i would like some suggestions, thank you all in advance. sorry for the ads its the only half decent free web hosting place i found.

http://www.geocities.com/unbeatablewrestler/

I would like to to update this thread and show my newly created website that I created. Its still not wonderful and very incomplete, but I got like a 150% on it in my web design class. So I'd like to see what you guys think of it so far, and I'd like your feedback. Just don't tell me to use css instead of tables, I would but I never really learned how, all I know is how to style the table with css. The website url is http://www.unofficialubuntu.homelinux.com actually while your at it you can still see my origional website at the above geocities link, and then tell me how much I have improved over the last few months

ju2wheels
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You should really learn how to use a color palette, there is way too much orange. Install Agave, it can help you with this.

Secondly, the layout could use some more work and thought. There is alot of "white space" or space in general where there should not be any. For example, use the layout to control the placement of images and text such that most of the empty space forms borders on the left and right. Also, for some pages your menu has buttons that disappear.

Last, your banner looks like it was made in MS Paint. With Linux having GIMP, there should be no reason to have artifacts and halos or pixelation in your images, unless you are inexperienced at using it of course.

Overall, I think it looks like a website that belongs in the 90's.

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
first off. I used gimp and I'm very new to it. Also Im working on the color, any idea's? Im also working on the white space. mainly why theres so much is because it was easier for me to use for now. none of the menu buttons dissapear for me. but ill have to check that out. thanks for your opinion

lian1238
October 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I like the animated menu at the top. The banner on top needs work. Looks like you delete the white and put an orange background. And are you sure you want to use tables instead of css?

Edit: You shouldn't put your email address just like that. Either use a contact form, or make it so spambots can't read your email address. (Like "mail me at myname at mydomain dot com")

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
yeah i think im gonna get rid of most of the tables. the only reason i have them is because my gay teacher told me to use them. she didnt even know how to put flash videos in websites. oh and the reason the video doesn't work is because i didn't ask permission to use it yet. and its to big for the free web hosting

lian1238
October 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
yeah i think im gonna get rid of most of the tables. the only reason i have them is because my gay teacher told me to use them. she didnt even know how to put flash videos in websites. oh and the reason the video doesn't work is because i didn't ask permission to use it yet. and its to big for the free web hosting

How can a female teacher be "gay". And please do not insult your teachers. What if she finds your post here.. unlikely, but what if? Also, please capitalize properly.

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Edit: You shouldn't put your email address just like that. Either use a contact form, or make it so spambots can't read your email address. (Like "mail me at myname at mydomain dot com")

Thanks I never thought of that. I'll go change it right now

lian1238
October 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I forgot to mention: you don't need to put the "index.html" part in your link. Webservers will automatically redirect to that page, unless you configure it to something else.

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
How can a female teacher be "gay". And please do not insult your teachers. What if she finds your post here.. unlikely, but what if? Also, please capitalize properly.

Sorry

ju2wheels
October 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
first off. I used gimp and I'm very new to it. Also Im working on the color, any idea's? Im also working on the white space. mainly why theres so much is because it was easier for me to use for now. none of the menu buttons dissapear for me. but ill have to check that out. thanks for your opinion

I cant reproduce it now but the first few buttons remained white and I couldnt see the buttons when I clicked on one of the links so I guess it has something to do with how they are display or my browser didnt download the images properly.

I forgot to mention to look at w3schools.org . They have great tutorials and examples. Also you can get some creative ideas from sites like Zen Gardens: http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I forgot to mention to look at w3schools.org . They have great tutorials and examples. Also you can get some creative ideas from sites like Zen Gardens: http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

Thanks ill look at it.

lian1238
October 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I cant reproduce it now but the first few buttons remained white and I couldnt see the buttons when I clicked on one of the links so I guess it has something to do with how they are display or my browser didnt download the images properly.
The top menu is flash. So that might be the reason.

linux_lover69
October 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Should I use a flash menu, or something else?

linux_lover69
October 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Ok I completely rethought my webpage. It's still not wonderful and the links don't work yet because I haven't created the pages for them yet. But overall I think It's a huge improvement compared to what it looked like before.

NullHead
October 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'd say get rid of all of the flash menu items, then it won't be so bad ;) People that don't have or can't use flash would never be able to navigate through your site ;)

BTW, I'd use a different host. I like http://freehostia.com They're ok, but really payed servers are best, but freehostia.com is truly the best free website hosting I've ever found. Just an idea ;)

Other than the flash menus, it's pretty nice :)

ddarsow
October 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Lose the tables and Flash. CSS can do layout and "animated" menues much cleaner and much more cross browser compatible.

linux_lover69
October 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I havn't figured out css yet but once i do I will be using it.

ddarsow
October 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I havn't figured out css yet but once i do I will be using it.

Any attempt at web design without CSS nowadays is pretty much pointless. It would be like learning to drive a horse & buggy so that you can fly a commercial airliner.

Web design needs to begin with CSS.

linux_lover69
October 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'd say get rid of all of the flash menu items, then it won't be so bad ;) People that don't have or can't use flash would never be able to navigate through your site ;)

BTW, I'd use a different host. I like http://freehostia.com They're ok, but really payed servers are best, but freehostia.com is truly the best free website hosting I've ever found. Just an idea ;)

Other than the flash menus, it's pretty nice :)

Thanks, and once i figure out how to use css properly I will get rid of the flash buttons.

linux_lover69
October 9th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Any attempt at web design without CSS nowadays is pretty much pointless. It would be like learning to drive a horse & buggy so that you can fly a commercial airliner.

Web design needs to begin with CSS.

yeah i know what you mean. this is just a school project and we haven't and probably won't go over css other than for formatting text. Also we have these guide lines we have to follow and we have to have tables in them. So I created the tables and figured out kinda how to use the css for the border. But it looks almost the same as a table.

schmindy
October 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I want to see it but i got this error message](*,)

linux_lover69
October 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I want to see it but i got this error message](*,)

It says (Site temporarily unavailable. Data transfer limit exceeded.)
noooooo.:( I need to get a better free host.

linux_lover69
October 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Well I have a screenshot of it anyway.

yabbadabbadont
October 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Not enough contrast between the text color and the background color.

linux_lover69
May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I Fixed my website and now it looks much better but I'm sure it needs to be improved. So please look at my new one and give me suggestions or ideas on how to make it better. Also the news section is not up yet, and not every page is finished, so don't say finish creating the pages, or add more info to this page.

ukripper
May 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Need better colour combination. Clashes!

linux_lover69
May 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Need better colour combination. Clashes!

Im not very good with colors, what do you suggest. would the color #FE9343 be good. Sorry I can't show the color, its a lighter orange

ukripper
May 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Im not very good with colors, what do you suggest. would the color #FE9343 be good. Sorry I can't show the color, its a lighter orange

Try this #EA943E

linux_lover69
May 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Try this #EA943E

Ah indeed that does look much better, Which background should I put outside the table, the boxes that I have on now, or that other darker one with the red in it? I personally like the boxes.

terabyte1
May 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
It's the Orange - other than that its pretty cool - I don't think some of the criticisms (above) are justified! Just be yourself and carry on. If Mark Shuttleworth listened to all the crap (and acted upon it) that's aimed at Ubuntu (usually from Debian fanatics) Ubuntu would never have got off the ground.

I'm glad he's our CEO and doing what he does best - he's the tops!:guitar:

linux_lover69
May 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
ok thanks, I am pretty much keeping the website the same, just changing some of the colors,

linux_lover69
August 26th, 2009, 01:26 AM
After taking a long break from my website, i decided to work on it again and i think i have finally made it look half decent. http://www.unofficialubuntu.homelinux.com/