PDA

View Full Version : I'm a penguin, I selected [Ubuntu] and I use it for...

patrickballeux
October 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hi, As we were talking in another thread about the new ads from Microsoft, I decided to start a group on you tube so we can all share our little glory in the same format as Apple and Microsoft.

I call the group "I am a penguin", so it is not only for Ubuntu fans but GNU/Linux fans in general.

Here is the link for the group: http://www.youtube.com/group/iamapenguin

Post a small video testimony saying:
"I'm a penguin, I selected [your distribution] and I use it for ..."

Do a short clip or 30 sec, keep it clean, no bashing.

The idea is to have a clean campain ad and show that GNU/Linux is great! Let's have a little fun... :)

Spread the word around to all your buddies who are linux fans.

Hope to see you soon!

Ms_Angel_D
October 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think it's a good Idea, it would be neat if you could get a bunch of the clips together and throw them togather in a showcase of sorts, then maybe pass off a domain like imapenquin.org or something.

nowin4me
October 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have tried do something similar to what you are trying to do. And failed miserably.
But it may be worth anther go. I will make a short 30 second clip if someone else dose. You might be more organized than I am.

Also tell them to put up a HD copy up.

fatality_uk
October 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe a more original idea might be better. A clone of a Microsoft ad might not go down that well. If it were satirical, then maybe. But just taking the premise from the Microsoft ad wont work I think. But good luck anyway.

patrickballeux
October 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I am actually following the new trend of Apple and Microsoft. I am not trying to do something different.

And most important, we have to be positive about Linux (Ubuntu) and not negative about Windows/OSX.

The only way we can "demonstrate" that Linux is worth a try is by showing,telling,explaining the great features of any X distributions.

Like we hear often: Linux is better because it cannot get infected by virus for Windows... This is not a feature for the end user, and actually, they almost cannot believe it.

But show Compiz-Fusion, F-Spot, Open Office, Evolution, any great games, customization, the help forums, etc... Those are features worth talking about.

The hardest part of this action won't be convincing windows users to try linux but to convince linux users to share their experience thru a small video clip.

It is not about winning or loosing, it is about catching the wave while we can surf on it...

Ms_Angel_D
October 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
And most important, we have to be positive about Linux (Ubuntu) and not negative about Windows/OSX.

The only way we can "demonstrate" that Linux is worth a try is by showing,telling,explaining the great features of any X distributions.

Like we hear often: Linux is better because it cannot get infected by virus for Windows... This is not a feature for the end user, and actually, they almost cannot believe it.

But show Compiz-Fusion, F-Spot, Open Office, Evolution, any great games, customization, the help forums, etc... Those are features worth talking about.

I agree, Keeping it positive and and pointing out the good things about linux is the way to go. People don't want Windows bashing. I kinda equate it to what Morpheus said in the matrix

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it

That could easily become:

Windows is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it

Ok so it's funny but it's almost kinda true....:lolflag:

Sealbhach
October 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
It's a good idea but let's not flatter by imitation.

patrickballeux
October 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Hi Sealbhach,

It is not flattering by imitation, it is surfing the wave while we can catch it. The current marketing trend is about showing real people and their lives... It's everywhere (Big brother, American Idol, etc...)!

For years, Linux fans tried to impress with cool features, and nobody cares. Did you see how many compiz-fusion there is on youtube? But nobody is switching in mass.. (there a a few, but nothing that we can be proud of...).

So let's try it the other way, let's do it as what is currently talked most! Microsoft ads and Apples ads... Let's put Linux (Ubuntu) in people's mind...

Windows users are always relating to Windows when it comes to computer, so let's use this at our own advantage. The current marketing trend is "I am something...". We should stand up and get on the wagon as it goes. It is a way of getting out foot in the door. Once done, then we can show our stuff, our way.

We have to stop thinking that if Microsoft does it, it's bad and evil. It is working for Microsoft... So it will work for us also! We are talking marketing here, not religion.

So come on people, do your part, and help create that buzz and make it our own. To be noticed, we have to take space and not just be passive. We have to react, to show, to get together!

Why do you think that Apple is so trendy... They created a buzz around their product. Are they better? I don't know but everybody knows about Apple.

Think about it: If every Linux user would post a 30 sec video clip on youtube, spread it in Facebook,MySpace,Digg, etc... Then we would get that foot in the door... After that, who knows?

Let's start with "I am a penguin..." and after that, we'll find something else...

Come on! Get up and share!

elmer_42
October 7th, 2008, 02:15 AM
The best Linux ad I saw was of Ubuntu, and they used OpenOffice and some Compiz window-switch effects to give some information about it. Lemme see if I can find it in my history. Ah, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHCYjFWqHA) it is. I mean, it could be done better, but the essential thing is that it shows you around it. I think it would be better, for example, if there was no text, just narration. Sort of like the iPhone commercials.

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 02:24 AM
It's everywhere (Big brother, American Idol, etc...)!

..which doesn't make it any less obnoxious and irritating.

patrickballeux
October 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Yep, you're right but marketing is not about pleasing, but about getting remembered...

In marketing, majority wins!

Come on! Get up and Share!

patrickballeux
October 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Okay, since I am taking this seriously, I started a new blog where we can show all the great stuff about GNU/Linux.

Mostly it will be videos or images. Just a central place where you can see the goodies!

http://wearepenguins.blogspot.com/

Hope you'll enjoy!