PDA

View Full Version : Start of a better wallpaper for intrepid?

Half-Left
October 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I just think the current wallpaper is bad, is it really so hard to start with something like this I did.

By no means finished but you get the idea.

Joeb454
October 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Looks more yellow/gold :p

It also reminds me of one of the default backgrounds in Vista, which is of a similar styling (no offence intended) - it's still better than anything I could create though!

Half-Left
October 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Vista and OS X didn't invent abstract wallpapers so lets get that straight for one. :)

Also They should think about what colours go with orange/brown, their green circles do not.

kamitsukai
October 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have to admit that I dislike the new wallpaper but it's not like it actually stays on my desktop for more than 3 seconds after an install anyway:KS

eldragon
October 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM
and if you consider keeping your home on a different partition, you wont see it at all :D

V for Vincent
October 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Lookin' good. Could we get an orange/dark brown version?

thenes
October 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I like the fact that the version is light-colored. I find that Ubuntu appears somewhat uninviting with all the dark colors it uses today. This looks much better :)

Gutt
October 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Good work Half-Left I like it :), but I'd still prefer seeing something less abstract and more to do with the name Intrepid Ibex, I find that it's more significant.

Still, I like the colors you chose, changes from the browns :p !

Half-Left
October 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Good work Half-Left I like it :), but I'd still prefer seeing something less abstract and more to do with the name Intrepid Ibex, I find that it's more significant.

Still, I like the colors you chose, changes from the browns :p !

Thanks, yes I was thinking of putting something like that in the clouds somewhere.

Gutt
October 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks, yes I was thinking of putting something like that in the clouds somewhere.

That'd be an excellent idea, but keep the colors you chose, it's good to see something less dark :KS ! We need more oranges and less browns !

Half-Left
October 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Something more ibex :)

chriskin
October 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
i like the first one of the post above me
the second one might need a small redo though
the word ubuntu is way too bright

i think that your wallpaper are way better than the default :)

Gutt
October 6th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I like 'em :) . Maybe make the Ubuntu a bit less bright, but the colors are really nice I find !

Merk42
October 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Use the ubuntu font for "Ubuntu"

V for Vincent
October 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Yeah, the text is probably too bright.

Half-Left
October 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Yep, your right, to bright and proper font.

Gutt
October 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Good work Half-Left :) .

Crafty Kisses
October 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Very nice idea, but as stated above, we need darker colors.

smartboyathome
October 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Half-Left, I would take out the "Ubuntu" text all together. Ubuntu doesn't like to have wallpapers with its name and logo on it (look at the past wallpapers, none of them have the Ubuntu logo or text).

Half-Left
October 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Yep, but the text version is not a wallpaper, more a splash or Install graphic.

xakh
October 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Sweet crap! That's fantastic! That should replace the whole "Spiral of poo" thing they have now.

WiegrafFolles
October 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I like your splash graphic, but I think the positioning in the no-text wallpaper needs work. I find that Ibex sitting up there in the corner kind of unnerving. I also think the wallpaper would look more balanced if there was say, one more section with clouds in it. As it is I find my attention being drawn to the top left corner far too much for a desktop (which should ideally be balanced and neutral IMHO). I wouldn't make it darker though, the light colors look far better for a default theme (For example Dust is cool and I use it myself, but I think it would turn off beginners because it looks kind of intimidating). Otherwise though I think this is a very cool idea, "The holy Ibex in the sky" hahaha.

MadsRH
October 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Gosh, am I the only one that actually likes the default wallpaper in the beta release? Okay, maybe I don't like it, but I definitely don't hate it!

rainz0r
October 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I think the one in beta looks alright. I think most people feel the same way, but this one looks much better. :]

SphereCat1
October 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm liking this one! Great Job! I think I agree with WiegrafFolles, though, there should be something in the bottom right to balance it out. Maybe not clouds, since it's at the bottom, maybe sort of a stylized grass or hill type thing.

Again, great job! Man I need to learn how to use the gimp properly... :)
SphereCat1

P.S.: zakh: :lolflag: "spiral of poo"

simpleboy
October 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Great wallpaper. Here is the collection of probable wallpapers that could make their ways to Intrepid http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/05/the-wallpapers-that-should-made-their-ways-to-intrepid-ibex/

Half-Left
October 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks

I'll update it and release here as a optional wallpaper, and the .xcf GIMP source file for you to play around with.

Half-Left
October 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Updated, Hows that for a release?

Gutt
October 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Good good, why not have the Ibex on the right now :-P ? Would be a bit more noticeable. And maybe (just maybe) dim down the Ibex's color and give it a lighter glow, I just find it a bit bright but that's all :) .

stinger30au
October 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
good work so far half-left

keep it simple and dont go over board with the design

looks real great so far from where im sitting

cisforcojo
October 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah I really really like your work, Half-Left. I've seen a couple posts from you now and I think your work is really high-quality. I can't really comment on color b/c I'm partially colorblind but I can say that I've been generally disappointed with Ubuntu's default wallpapers. The first thing I always do is change the wallpaper (I think most linux users probably do, a major point of linux is freedom afterall) but there are some mockups I really like such as:
http://willwill100.deviantart.com/art/Interpid-Ibex-Mockup-Part-2-93584910

I know people say that since it requires direct rendering it's not a good option, why couldn't Ubuntu in theory just offer 2 install options, Compiz or no? Sabayon does.

I feel like there's a huge wealth of mockups (and talented artists) that aren't being utilized.