PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see the new Window's Vista "Mohave" Commericial?

kevdog
October 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I had to laugh last night when I saw the Windows commercial that attempted to show unsuspecting users as trialing a new windows version known as "Mohave". Of course Mohave was really Vista, but just under another name. All of the people featured thought it was really cool!

What a lame attempt trying to save a sinking ship known as Vista.

And just FYI -- I own to Vista machines. I don't think the OS is bad either, but I also run XP systems as well. No major advantage. Cygwin and File Sharing however are hard as hell to get setup with Vista as compared to XP.

armageddon08
October 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah...I saw the 'experiment'.....it'd been done quite sometime ago. BTW, it's called The "Mojave" Experiment not "Mohave".

presence1960
October 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I had to laugh last night when I saw the Windows commercial that attempted to show unsuspecting users as trialing a new windows version known as "Mohave". Of course Mohave was really Vista, but just under another name. All of the people featured thought it was really cool!

What a lame attempt trying to save a sinking ship known as Vista.

And just FYI -- I own to Vista machines. I don't think the OS is bad either, but I also run XP systems as well. No major advantage. Cygwin and File Sharing however are hard as hell to get setup with Vista as compared to XP.
Microsoft is in business to make money as is any other corporation. And advertising no matter how "lame" is part of the strategy to gain new customers. I think if the Linux community would focus totally on Linux and how to help each other especially new converts we all would be better off. Sometimes we sound like politicians bashing what the other candidate has done rather than talking about what they can do for the voters. I think we need to focus on Linux and it's benefits and leave the judgements to those who like wasting precious time. besides no one likes to hear something about something they like from someone who hates it. When we do this we effectively have shut the door on our usefulness to that person.

mrmorris
October 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
That's kind of old news. And really I think you missed the point of it. The bottom line is that while it's not perfect, the name Vista now has such bad connotation that people automatically "hate it". I've seen this among family members who wouldn't know Win2K from XP, yet strangely doesn't even want to try Vista. The Mojave experiment clearly shows how many people are subjective rather than objective. Love it or hate it, Microsoft has a marketing problem ahead of them. The rest of us running Ubuntu obviously don't care much, but let's be fair and not create more FUD than what's already out there.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
That's kind of old news. And really I think you missed the point of it. The bottom line is that while it's not perfect, the name Vista now has such bad connotation that people automatically "hate it". I've seen this among family members who wouldn't know Win2K from XP, yet strangely doesn't even want to try Vista. The Mojave experiment clearly shows how many people are subjective rather than objective. Love it or hate it, Microsoft has a marketing problem ahead of them. The rest of us running Ubuntu obviously don't care much, but let's be fair and not create more FUD than what's already out there.

Ok, Microsoft ran the commercial. Do you think they would be negative views of it out?

If a third party decided to test, a real experiment, if people didn't like Vista solely because of their reputation, or because they didn't like it, they should have been a lot more scientific. First, they should have shown the hardware they had, running Vista on 2 GB of RAM with a Core 2 Duo is not bad, however, very, very, few people have computers like that or even need computers like that (although they are now almost standard in stores, because of Vista). So the cost factor should be thrown in as part of the data, otherwise, they will be judging the interface only (not its total cost).

Second, they should have given a lot of time to use it and develop an opinion. Sure, it is prettier than XP, but is it usable over time? (Also, it is anything they can't get for XP for free). Each opinion should have been recorded and given out, not just the good ones.

Third, a group using Vista, under the same circumstances. If the opinions of Vista and the Mojave OS were different, then they could say it is because of the name.

Fourth, an XP control.

mrmorris
October 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Ok, Microsoft ran the commercial. Do you think they would be negative views of it out?

If a third party decided to test, a real experiment, if people didn't like Vista solely because of their reputation, or because they didn't like it, they should have been a lot more scientific. First, they should have shown the hardware they had, running Vista on 2 GB of RAM with a Core 2 Duo is not bad, however, very, very, few people have computers like that or even need computers like that (although they are now almost standard in stores, because of Vista). So the cost factor should be thrown in as part of the data, otherwise, they will be judging the interface only (not its total cost).

Second, they should have given a lot of time to use it and develop an opinion. Sure, it is prettier than XP, but is it usable over time? (Also, it is anything they can't get for XP for free). Each opinion should have been recorded and given out, not just the good ones.

Third, a group using Vista, under the same circumstances. If the opinions of Vista and the Mojave OS were different, then they could say it is because of the name.

Fourth, an XP control.

Calling for a more scientific and independent study is all fine and dandy, but doesn't negate the results of Mojave. There are negative spins on it, for instance it paints a pretty grim picture of Vista's marketing crew. Anyway you can continue to debate it, I recommend Vista over XP for security reasons. As I said it ain't perfect, but I'll take no part of a FUD campaign on either side. Over and out.

kc2bxn
October 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
ive seen it and thought i was very lameo like c'mon guys!
but anyway other than you need a powerhouse its not that bad also i hate how they moved everything around!!! grrr and the lameo window 'do you want to do this?'

I'll wait till the next version before i have a machine with it vista
xp is prob the best windows yet but still not perfect

kevdog
October 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I wish they would have at least shown a screen shot of what the users were looking at. Maybe its me, but haven't at least most people seen the Vista desktop and could recognize it by its standard color scheme?

chris4585
October 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I wish I could block that stupid fscking commercial