PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] firefox/ubuntu being dreadfully slow

Irishpolyglot
October 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for 9 months so far, and sadly I still haven't invested the time yet to figuring out how things work behind the scenes, but it's definitely user friendly since I have solved all issues quickly!
But for the last few weeks Firefox is being amazingly slow (or possibly the whole PC, I only really use Firefox). When I click a different tab it takes a second or two for the click to be registered and the tab to appear. Typing this message is frustrating because 5 words appear at once after a typing with nothing coming up for several seconds, and some pages are really slow to load simply because the click doesn't seem to be registered for a while (the Internet connection itself is fast).

I'd really appreciate suggestions as to make this faster. When I first installed Ubuntu everything worked super fast and my surfing style and computer use was more or less the same.

I checked System Monitor and CPU1 &2 are fluctuating a lot. Out of all the programs I have running (Skype Pidgin etc.), firefox is using up most of the CPU. I'm on a DELL Inspiron 9400 with Ubuntu 8.04. I have 20GB of space free and an Intel Core CPU T7200@2.0GHz.

Any thoughts hugely appreciated!! :)

Helios1276
October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Have you recently started using Compiz? You could also try checking what is running that might be slowing you down by using the 'top' command in the terminal.

A quick Google search turned up this,

http://techxplorer.com/2007/02/22/slow-browsing-using-firefox-on-ubuntu/

may be relevant.

Irishpolyglot
October 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
The tip given in that link has really made a difference!!! Thanks so much :D I've moved to Argentina so it seems IPv6 isn't supported in my apartment here. Strange! It's going fast now, hopefully it's not temporary :P
Many thanks

Perfect Storm
October 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
You could also give a lightweighted browser a change like epiphany;

sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser epiphany-extensions

Helios1276
October 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The tip given in that link has really made a difference!!! Thanks so much :D I've moved to Argentina so it seems IPv6 isn't supported in my apartment here. Strange! It's going fast now, hopefully it's not temporary :P
Many thanks

Cavan to Argentina? fair play and no problem mate.