PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 Fail to Start after good installation

Arabiest
October 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
:(Dears,

I need your kind help to guide me on how to recover my earlier installation of Ubuntu 8.04 that was working fine, but after switching back and forth with Windows XP, my Ubuntu wont start anymore and I am not familar with Linux DOS commands that looks long unlike dos which are one stratight word.

To help you further to capture the exact situation, please note:

- Downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 from Ubuntu site (i.e. not bootable CD, but its autorun).
- Ubuntu 8.04 is installed from within Windows XP.
- This situation happened more than once, after which I have to unstall Ubuntu from Windows XP and re-install it again, after which it works fine and start downloading updates and add-ons for Firefox and other essential packages provided by Ubuntu and everything seems promissing and glamirous.

Honestly, I am begining to feel fraustrated by this and may force me to forget about LINUX systems and just live with I have...what a shame from me and mostley from such a system that is difficult to deal with on the command level.

Sorry friends, this is a man that is bugged by this and i wish not to disturbe you or change your position towards Linux, becuase I believe its more interactive on the GUI level only.

Regards,
Arabiest:confused:

Braytok
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I would recommend installing directly from the Ubuntu Disk. By this I mean:

1. Load the Ubuntu Cd that you created into the drive
2. Reboot the computer and follow the install prompts.

You may need to change which device your computer boots from, i.e. CD-ROM or hard drive at system start up and instruct it to boot from the CD-ROM for this to work for you.

Let me know if my directions are too confusing and I will try to simplify them.

Arabiest
October 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you dear for at least trying to help.

I believe I made it clear in my message the exact situation in order to assist you first of all get the perspective of this situation.

It is made clear my friend by me that I merely downloaded the software from Ubuntu and it is therefore NOT a BOOTABLE CD. Therefore, I cant use it as one. This answers your 1st and 2nd items.

However, my friend, I managed to find the solution in the below link, where I have shared my appreciation to the guy whom made it possible.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5916216#post5916216

Braytok
October 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Thank you dear for at least trying to help.

I believe I made it clear in my message the exact situation in order to assist you first of all get the perspective of this situation.

It is made clear my friend by me that I merely downloaded the software from Ubuntu and it is therefore NOT a BOOTABLE CD. Therefore, I cant use it as one. This answers your 1st and 2nd items.

However, my friend, I managed to find the solution in the below link, where I have shared my appreciation to the guy whom made it possible.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5916216#post5916216

glad you got what you needed.

BTW if you downloaded 8.04 form ubuntu i.e this link
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
which is a .iso file, and then burned it to a CD...

It is bootable. Its also called a liveCD which means you can run it from within windows or at boot up.