PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question for Acer AOA150-1178

xIHammerIx
October 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hello All,

I have a friend who just bought an Acer AOA150-1178 that will come with Windows XP. The plan is to add an Ubuntu partition. I have made the LiveUSB stick and that works perfectly on my laptop Dell Inspiron 9300. My question is will the hardware in the Acer support Ubuntu (I'll list the specs below)? I don't foresee any troubles, however, the only reason I ask is I am very unfamiliar with the hardware in these mini notebooks. I had another friend who tried this earlier in the summer and wound up not being able to get an OS back on to his hard drive (different type of laptop, mini HP if I remember correctly. I guess my biggest hang up is not knowing if the processor architecture is supported by Ubuntu as well as the motherboard chipset. I really appreciate any and all input!

Thanks,
Hammer

Specs

Model
Brand Acer
Series Aspire one
Model AOA150-1178
Part# LU.S450B.008
General
Color Pink
Operating System Windows XP Home
CPU Type Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz)
Screen 8.9" WSVGA
Memory Size 1GB DDR2
Hard Disk 120GB
Graphics Card Intel GMA950
Video Memory shared memory
Communication LAN and WLAN
Battery Life Up to 2.5 hours
Dimensions 9.8" x 6.7" x 1.1"
Weight 2.3 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type Intel Atom
CPU Speed N270(1.60GHz)
CPU FSB 533MHz
CPU L2 Cache 512KB
Chipset
Chipset Intel 945GSE
Display
Screen Size 8.9"
Wide Screen Support Yes
LCD Features LED backlight & Acer CrystalBrite Technology
Display Type Wide SVGA
Resolution 1024 x 600
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows XP Home
Graphics
GPU/VPU Intel GMA950
Video Memory Shared system memory
Graphic Type Integrated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 120GB
Memory
Memory Speed DDR2 533
Memory 1GB
Memory Spec 512MB onboard/512MB SODIMM slot

Sef
October 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
If you use a Live CD or USB key and it works well, then it should work well upon installation.

sloggerkhan
October 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have a similar aspire one. Works fine with ubuntu, I'd recommend giving the latest beta for ibex a shot, otherwise wireless might be trouble.

Aearenda
October 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I have that exact same model (apart from the pink colour), and added Ubuntu as dual boot using an external USB CD drive - make sure you use 8.04.1, not the original 8.04, and follow the intructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne carefully. Or, as sloggerkhan suggests, try the Ibex beta - but I haven't tried that, whereas I can vouch for 8.04.01.

Sef
October 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I have a similar aspire one. Works fine with ubuntu, I'd recommend giving the latest beta for ibex a shot, otherwise wireless might be trouble.

I'd wait a few days until the new kernel gets in - 2.6.27-5.8.

sloggerkhan
October 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
yeah, so far as the tweak guide goes, a lot of it is oriented towards the solid state drive, which won't apply.

xIHammerIx
October 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hey thanks a bunch guys! I'm thinking I'll try to put 8.04.1 as Aearenda suggested. The laptop gets here Wednesday so I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks guys, this is a great community and I hope I will be able to back in the future.

Thanks
Hammer

Aearenda
October 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Great, remember to ignore the SSD bits of the guide as sloggerkhan pointed out (thanks!) - mainly, it's how to get the wifi going, and how to get Netbook Remix installed if you want it.

xIHammerIx
October 23rd, 2008, 04:23 AM
I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread but I just finished up the install (computer was sent to her house and we're up at college) and everything works 100% great. Except firefox crashes when you start it up, I'll get to that later. Thanks guys for all your help!