PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VIA EPIA mobo garbled video on bootup

wildyoot
October 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Hello,

I have a machine with a VIA EPIA-ME6000 Mini-ITX board running Ubuntu 8.04.1. If left to its default bootup routine with kernel 2.6.24-19, the video mode will switch to random blue characters so that it is impossible to log-in or use the recovery mode. If I exit to GRUB and select kernel version 2.6.22-14, it works, so this is what I have been doing for some months.

Has anybody seen this before? Should I bother trying to fix this, or should I set the default bootup kernel to the -14 version since it works (I assume one can do that with GRUB)? Is there anything I should be concerned about missing by using an older kernel?

Thank you for any help. I always use ubuntuforums search facility to find solutions but in this case I am stumped.

overdrank
October 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hello,

I have a machine with a VIA EPIA-ME6000 Mini-ITX board running Ubuntu 8.04.1. If left to its default bootup routine with kernel 2.6.24-19, the video mode will switch to random blue characters so that it is impossible to log-in or use the recovery mode. If I exit to GRUB and select kernel version 2.6.22-14, it works, so this is what I have been doing for some months.

Has anybody seen this before? Should I bother trying to fix this, or should I set the default bootup kernel to the -14 version since it works (I assume one can do that with GRUB)? Is there anything I should be concerned about missing by using an older kernel?

Thank you for any help. I always use ubuntuforums search facility to find solutions but in this case I am stumped.

Hi and welcome, have you tried using the xfix option when booting into recovery mode on the 24-19 kernel? What is the model of the graphics?

wildyoot
October 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi and welcome, have you tried using the xfix option when booting into recovery mode on the 24-19 kernel? What is the model of the graphics?

Hello and thank you,

I have tried to run xfix but since the screen is garbled I am guessing at the right keystrokes (3 arrow keys down, then Enter?). This did not appear to solve anything however (assuming it ran xfix).

Here is the lshw output for the display hardware (although I have to do this from the older kernel):

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated CastleRock graphics
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=vt8623fb latency=32 mingnt=2 module=vt8623f

wildyoot
October 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
A fresh install of 8.0.4.1 fixed the problem.

Still shows a flash of garbled blue screen and characters on boot up, but the login screen appears right after now. Possibly it was crashing at that point before. So looks like something got upset during the -14 to -16 kernel upgrade.

Thanks for the help.