PDA

View Full Version : Linux Ed. & Linux Limitless

Ellipsis
October 6th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Anyway these are two ideas I have been going over in my mind for the last few months.

Linux Ed.

There is one thing Linux always needs more of: Developers! Many programmers to be start out in Linux and it really gets them interested in computers and programing. The goal of this project would be to provide a learning resource for computer science and Linux development. The main goal of this project would be to turn more Linux power users into Linux developers or else make the transition easier.

How would it be done?
-Team up with a publisher like O'Rielly Media which would provide some basic documentation from it's books in exchange for free advertising space.
-Edit, expand and add to the basic publisher provided documentation Wiki style.
-Open Source projects would be able to up load snippets of source code to use as coding examples..
-Open Source projects could for example give out a weekly bug that the code monkeys in training would have to track down. (The bug could be fixed by the project but this would just be used as a "project").
-Language distributors could directly link their downloads and tools to the site thus making it a Walmart of sorts.

Linux Limitless

The basic idea of this is pretty simple: Give Linux users something to DO!
Many early Linux users are frankly bored out of their minds...no VISIBLE quality games and entertainment is hard to deal with. The idea behind this is to make a sort of public ratings site (instead of searching countless blogs) for games, sites, software and anything else a Linux user might do for fun and inform users of new fun stuff. Of course most Linux users don't have problems finding this stuff by themselves but for people like my parents who have not changed their laptop's wall paper in over 6 months (and I did it for them the last time) it would be nice. It could be done by editing the Ubuntu Brainstorm site source with a few key changes (a 5 star ratings system with separate categories for each of the things that have to be done)