PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SOS -- Saved Operating System

Mark_in_Hollywood
October 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I ask the programmers to make some code that writes a file: SOS. That file would write into the /home folder.

It would know the names and revision numbers of all software installed on the 'puter and would update itself on shutdown. It could be as simple as an ascii file. Or more complex like html, so that in the event of a catastrophic failure, the user could, after getting a new hard disk or other repair measures, open the file and start re-installing the various applications.

thanks for your time.

Frak
October 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM
That doesn't sound hard at all really. I make look into something like this.

schauerlich
October 6th, 2008, 03:30 AM
ls /usr/local/bin >> ~/sos.txt

Repeat for /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and so on.

MaxIBoy
October 6th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Does that keep track of version numbers?

Mark_in_Hollywood
October 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
That doesn't sound hard at all really. I make look into something like this.

I wanted to add a little more of my idea. And to say thanks for the support.

The SOS file should help the end-user reconfigure his entire OS/Applications and /home folder.

I started with Breezy Badger about 3 years ago and I've had to re-install the entire OS at least 6 times. Four of those involved complete loss of data. Now I can borrow an external USB drive and copy the /home to that drive. Once I reinstall the OS, then I have to search & search & search for what else was lost.

klange
October 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Assuming the user isn't the kind that makes custom modifications to files outside of their home folder, and doesn't build stuff from source (without proceeding to debianize their built sources), you can do this:

dpkg -l > ~/SOS
It's not perfect (it'll show non-purged packages that you don't have installed, but you can look at the status codes to see what's actually there), but it will give you version info:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==========================================-=================================================-================================================== ====
rc 915resolution 0.5.3-0ubuntu1 resolution modification tool for Intel graphic chipset
ii abiword 2.6.4-4ubuntu2 efficient, featureful word processor with collaboratio
ii abiword-common 2.6.4-4ubuntu2 efficient, featureful word processor with collaboratio
ii abiword-help 2.6.4-4ubuntu2 online help for AbiWord
ii abiword-plugin-grammar 2.6.4-4ubuntu2 grammar checking plugin for AbiWord
ii abiword-plugin-mathview 2.6.4-4ubuntu2 equation editor plugin for AbiWord
ii acl 2.2.47-2 Access control list utilities
ii acpi 1.1-1ubuntu1 displays information on ACPI devices
ii acpi-support 0.112 scripts for handling many ACPI events
ii acpid 1.0.6-9ubuntu4 Utilities for using ACPI power management

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Such a feature is planned (well, a blueprint) for sysres, https://launchpad.net/sysres.