PDA

View Full Version : winter is here

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 02:12 AM
We're having our first snowstorm of the year. Only about two inches on the ground right now, but it looks like it'll snow for a while.

When are you expecting the first winter storm of the season?

blithen
October 6th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Where do you live?
Washington for me, but we probably won't have one for a while. Just lots of rain.

smartboyathome
October 6th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Where do you live?
Washington for me, but we probably won't have one for a while. Just lots of rain.

Yup, rain and wind. Lets just hope we don't have a repeat of two years ago. :(

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I live in Anchorage, AK. The snow is slackening off a bit, but there's another dark cloud moving closer.

Kingsley
October 6th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Snow at my location would be very unusual.

Yes
October 6th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I wish it were snowing here :(. We normally don't get anything that sticks until late December.

Dr Small
October 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I wish it were snowing here :(. We normally don't get anything that sticks until late December.
And we generally don't get anything that sticks until about the middle of January... We've been having 80F temperature in December, too.

OutOfReach
October 6th, 2008, 02:30 AM
We don't have snow here in California, but we do have rain. It rained yesterday for a bit, maybe less than an inch of rain. But I sense a lot of rain later on this season...

yabbadabbadont
October 6th, 2008, 02:38 AM
All of our heaviest snows have been in March. Since I've lived here (Southwest Missouri), we've had two 12" snowfalls and a 14" one in March. Then the temp jumps back into the upper sixties or lower seventies and it melts in four or five days. :lol: Other than the occasional March snowstorm, we usually only get two to four inches a couple of times a winter. We get more ice storms here than we do snow. Three major ones (1" of ice or more) in the last two winters.

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I shouldn't have posted this. The snow appears to have stopped, with only a measly two/three inches on the ground.

yabbadabbadont
October 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I shouldn't have posted this. The snow appears to have stopped, with only a measly two/three inches on the ground.

How did you come to be a Cards fan all the way up there?

Dr Small
October 6th, 2008, 02:51 AM
All of our heaviest snows have been in March. Since I've lived here (Southwest Missouri), we've had two 12" snowfalls and a 14" one in March. Then the temp jumps back into the upper sixties or lower seventies and it melts in four or five days. :lol: Other than the occasional March snowstorm, we usually only get two to four inches a couple of times a winter. We get more ice storms here than we do snow. Three major ones (1" of ice or more) in the last two winters.
I have some friends in Northern Missouri, and they get quite alot of snow.

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM
How did you come to be a Cards fan all the way up there?
I was born in Colorado and lived in St. Louis for a year before moving up here. I hated everything about the place except the Arch and the Cardinals.

wannadumpwindows
October 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I might have a little snow in November, But nothing to get excited about. Should start seeing "real" snow sometime in mid December.

I'm in central Michigan. By the bay.

yabbadabbadont
October 6th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I have some friends in Northern Missouri, and they get quite alot of snow.

"Northern Missouri" is about 300 miles from here... ;)

Most of the snow in MO generally falls North of I-70.

yabbadabbadont
October 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I was born in Colorado and lived in St. Louis for a year before moving up here. I hated everything about the place except the Arch and the Cardinals.

I figured it was something like that. I can't stand St. Louis either, which is why I avoid going there if at all possible. ;)

I've always been a Royals and Chiefs fan. (expressions of sympathy are appreciated... :D)

danbuter
October 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Never know for me. I've had snow on Halloween, and some years not until late December/early January.

zoomy942
October 6th, 2008, 03:23 AM
i live up in the mountains in idaho... and its already been snowing!!!

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I've always been a Royals and Chiefs fan. (expressions of sympathy are appreciated... :D)
Don't worry, the Royals will go to the postseason someday. Of course, we'll all be dead by then :)

zmjjmz
October 6th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Ha, we just started fall down here in NJ.

yabbadabbadont
October 6th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Don't worry, the Royals will go to the postseason someday. Of course, we'll all be dead by then :)

They used to go quite regularly... and get knocked out by the Yankees. At least they beat the Cards in the World Series. :p :D

mips
October 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Around next year July! Fortunately it wont snow where I live but the temperature will drop to about 15 degrees celcius and we consider that very cold :)

If I want to see snow it happens on the odd occasion on the mountains about 2.5 hours drive away.

crimesaucer
October 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Back in the mid-1990's I lived in Lake Tahoe and we had some early seasons with conditions that were ridable in late October and early November.

Of course, that was usually at the top of Mt. Rose and not at lake level. I think it was the fall of 1994 that had all lifts open on the first day of Squaw Valley..... It was such a fun day, until I rode down the wrong chute and destroyed my snowboard with a blown edge/sidewall.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Around here, NEPA, it can snow early, but usually, it isn't until December, usually towards the end, that we get much worth talking about.

This is in the city of course, outside the city it sticks easier.

Last winter, we didn't get any snow or cold until quite late but it went into April for some reason.

And to prove we weren't experiencing an increase in temps in general, the summer was not as hot as it usually is.

crimesaucer
October 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Around here, NEPA, it can snow early, but usually, it isn't until December, usually towards the end, that we get much worth talking about.

This is in the city of course, outside the city it sticks easier.

Last winter, we didn't get any snow or cold until quite late but it went into April for some reason.

And to prove we weren't experiencing an increase in temps in general, the summer was not as hot as it usually is.

I used to snowboard/ski at Ski Liberty in South Eastern PA..... seasons usually start real late and end early, and it's mostly man made snow..... it's one of the reasons I moved to California to snowboard back in 1993.

mali2297
October 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Late November, but the weather isn't that predictable. It seems to come as a surprise every year.

Nano Geek
October 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
It's 81 degrees here.
Not exactly prime snow conditions. :(

kk0sse54
October 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
It's ninety degrees here and I think we can safely say that we can expect no snow here in Florida :(

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I used to snowboard/ski at Ski Liberty in South Eastern PA..... seasons usually start real late and end early, and it's mostly man made snow..... it's one of the reasons I moved to California to snowboard back in 1993.

South PA is warmer and lower. NEPA is a higher elevation and we get stuff from Canada...

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
It's 81 degrees here.
Not exactly prime snow conditions. :(

It's ninety degrees here and I think we can safely say that we can expect no snow here in Florida :(

Where are you all?!

SuperSonic4
October 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM
We'll just get cold, we never seem to get snow until March lol.

daniel.hodge
October 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I live in the bottom part of an old church in northern pa. It hasn't snowed yet, but I know it's coming. It'll be a monster when it does.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I live in the bottom part of an old church in northern pa. It hasn't snowed yet, but I know it's coming. It'll be a monster when it does.

Don't be too sure. It could be like last year :-)

(I'm in Scranton)

cariboo
October 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
We usually get snow anytime after Thanksgiving (Canadian). We used to have cold tempuratures -35C at Halloween, now with global cooling we may se it again. :)

Jim

Nano Geek
October 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Where are you all?!Texas.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Texas.

Nice. I am from there (of course).

I'm sure you knew that from other posts, although it is normally impolite to ask where others are from, I was checking because I seem to recall that from somewhere else...

(For those who don't know the story, Texans don't usually ask people where they are from because if the person is from Texas, they will tell you, and if they are not, you shouldn't embarrass them)

Nano Geek
October 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Nice. I am from there (of course).

I'm sure you knew that from other posts, although it is normally impolite to ask where others are from, I was checking because I seem to recall that from somewhere else...

(For those who don't know the story, Texans don't usually ask people where they are from because if the person is from Texas, they will tell you, and if they are not, you shouldn't embarrass them)I think I remember you saying that, but I had forgotten it.

Europeans especially can be embarrassed if you ask them where they are from because their country is smaller than our state. :)

*joking!

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I think I remember you saying that, but I had forgotten it.

Europeans especially can be embarrassed if you ask them where they are from because their country is smaller than our state. :)

*joking!

I often point out to the people in England their island is about the same size of my state and the state I was from is much larger (and yet, if they cut Alaska in half, Texas be the third largest state...).

Where I lived was hit hard (I lived near Houston)

kk0sse54
October 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
It's rough coming from Sweden and living in a hot place like Florida, I will glady trade hurricanes for snow any day...:)

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
It's rough coming from Sweden and living in a hot place like Florida, I will glady trade hurricanes for snow any day...:)

The Indians I talk to are freezing now, and it hasn't even begun to get what we call "cold" yet.

People are amazing at adapting.

-grubby
October 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Where do you live?

Yup, rain and wind. Lets just hope we don't have a repeat of two years ago. :(

Yeah, glad we only have rain and wind so far. This morning it was pretty cold though..

I hope it doesn't snow, I hate snow, with a passion.

LaRoza
October 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I hope it doesn't snow, I hate snow, with a passion.

So naturally, you live in WA...

RedPandaFox
October 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Bah, its summer man!

Its boiling over here!

-grubby
October 7th, 2008, 12:04 AM
So naturally, you live in WA...

wasn't my choice!

And hey, I liked snow at one point

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 12:10 AM
wasn't my choice!

And hey, I liked snow at one point

But then, that tragic day when your sled dog team left you in the middle of the frozen wilderness on your way to school and you lost three fingers and the tip of your nose to the cold and lost your phone when a bigfoot stole it as you struggled to survive in the frozen wastelands of Chewelah. Luckily, right before perishing, a kind Indian tribe took you in and thawed you and made you one of their own, then the calvery came and rescued you. To this day, you can't look at the snow without thinking of your lost dogs, fingers, nose, phone and your native bride.

-grubby
October 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
But then, that tragic day when your sled dog team left you in the middle of the frozen wilderness on your way to school and you lost three fingers and the tip of your nose to the cold and lost your phone when a bigfoot stole it as you struggled to survive in the frozen wastelands of Chewelah. Luckily, right before perishing, a kind Indian tribe took you in and thawed you and made you one of their own, then the calvery came and rescued you. To this day, you can't look at the snow without thinking of your lost dogs, fingers, nose, phone and your native bride.

LOL

That story could be True, sadly probably because I actually live 12 miles out of Chewelah

crimesaucer
October 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
South PA is warmer and lower. NEPA is a higher elevation and we get stuff from Canada...

Do you remember the "Blizzard of 1993": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_of_the_Century_(1993)

Me and a friend drove from Washington DC (NOVA) to Breckenridge CO....

We drove through all of PA and there was so much snow (we even got into a mini-accident on the border of Western MD and West Virginia near Wisp Ski Mountain).

We had left Virginia/D.C. the day that they finally finished clearing the interstate after all of those people had been trapped in their cars on the Pennsylvania turnpike.

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 12:52 AM
They used to go quite regularly... and get knocked out by the Yankees. At least they beat the Cards in the World Series. :p :D
I don't think I was alive back then... :)

And then we all went home to our igloos ;)

bruce89
October 7th, 2008, 01:13 AM
winter is here

Was summer here?

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Was summer here?
It was cold and rainy - which I liked. I'm not sure if we made it up to 40° (F) today...

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Do you remember the "Blizzard of 1993": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_of_the_Century_(1993)

Yes, I have pictures of me. I was young and it was fun playing in all that snow.

JT9161
October 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
So far nothing but overcast and a little rain down here in Vancouver, WA, although we have gotten a few nice thunderstorms in the last few months.

bruce89
October 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Was summer here?

That said, it was lovely weather to see the QE2 on the Clyde yesterday.

Le-Froid
October 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I live in Jersey. I may have a winter storm this month, or maybe not until January. (Some years its around Oct, other years the weather is crazy).

schauerlich
October 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Sacramento, CA. Not much of a winter here. Winter consists of highs of 50-60F (10-15.6C) and lows of 30-40F (-1.1-4.4C), with a fair amount of rain.

Helios1276
October 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Our rain is very wet rain indeed.

pbpersson
October 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM
We're having our first snowstorm of the year. Only about two inches on the ground right now, but it looks like it'll snow for a while.

Um.....Wednesday it is supposed to be 98 degrees F here.

Winter you say? ;)

schauerlich
October 7th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Um.....Wednesday it is supposed to be 98 degrees F here.

Winter you say? ;)

What do you expect, you live in the middle of the desert. :)

It'll be 80F tomorrow, get to 84F on Wednesday before going back down towards the end of the week.

cardinals_fan
October 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I knew winter was here! A second storm dumped 6-8 inches of snow last night.

-grubby
October 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
i knew winter was here! A second storm dumped 6-8 inches of snow last night.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cardinals_fan
October 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
The weather over the past few days has been bizarre. A warm Chinook wind from the east melted all the snow we got - but it also delivered 90 mph gusts that kept my power down for 46 hours. Then, just after my power came back on last night, it started snowing again! We only have about an inch so far, but it's still coming down.

yabbadabbadont
October 13th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Bizarre weather and the occasional earthquake for variety... why did you move there again? :D

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Bizarre weather and the occasional earthquake for variety... why did you move there again? :D
I'm just grateful that the big winds are usually warm, because having the power out during a cold snap would be ugly.

yabbadabbadont
October 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm just grateful that the big winds are usually warm, because having the power out during a cold snap would be ugly.

Tell me about it. We had three major ice storms in the last two winters. Fortunately, only one of them knocked out the power for very long. 27 hours off, then it was on for 6, then back off for 8 more. Luckily, the 6 hours on gave me enough time to get the temperature up to 70 before it went out again. It got down to 45 in the house during the first outage. Fortunately, I have a gas water heater and was able to keep the pipes from freezing.

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Fortunately, only one of them knocked out the power for very long. 27 hours off, then it was on for 6, then back off for 8 more. Luckily, the 6 hours on gave me enough time to get the temperature up to 70 before it went out again. It got down to 45 in the house during the first outage.
It went down to 45 in the house last night :)

The real problem would come if we ever had strong north winds. Those are very rare (usually, all our gale-force winds come from the east), but having no power when it's -15 out would not be fun.

yabbadabbadont
October 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Wood stove anyone? ;) (can't have one where I live now, no flue)

That's what we used while I was growing up. The main problem was with the house being too warm rather than not warm enough. I frequently slept with a window cracked open.

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Wood stove anyone? ;) (can't have one where I live now, no flue)

That's what we used while I was growing up. The main problem was with the house being too warm rather than not warm enough. I frequently slept with a window cracked open.
Ditto.
I've lived with a woodstove for many years, save these last two, because we moved into our new house (up the hill) and it doesn't have a flue.