PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu eee Installation Partition Query

Broomy
October 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I recently bought an eeePC 1000H model with XP pre-installed. I've downloaded ubuntu eee and copied it to a memory stick and now I'm at the installation, stuck on the partition stage.

I've got two questions. Firstly, the sections say /dev/sda2 and Ubuntu 8.04.1 and I obviously know what the latter is but I'm only presuming /dev/sda2 is supposed to be Windows XP and I don't want to proceed until I get confirmation as I've noticed on other guides, especially eeePC installation guides XP is displayed as Windows XP.

Secondly, the 80GB HDD on the 1000H is split into two drives, so what I also presume is that it's automatically installing Ubuntu on the D: drive which is what I wanted to do in the first place but I cannot find anywhere that says this.

I've never installed Linux before so I don't want to mess anything up and overwrite XP but as long as I get an answer I'm happy. Thanks in advance!

One other thing? What is the dev/sda2? Is that data that XP can read and write too so would it make sense to keep it relatively big if I still intend to store data from Windows on the secondary drive?

Broomy
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I decided to bite the bullet and go for it but now I ran into another problem. After pressing continue I got an error which said "an error occured while writing the changes to storage devices"

So, any ideas?