PDA

View Full Version : I'm tiling again!

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
As the title implies, I'm using a tiling window manager (dwm) again! Just thought I'd share my happiness :)

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Wmii?

Dr Small
October 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM
So is nathangrubb, so what else is new? He's using xmonad, by the way. I would prefer wmii, if it wasn't for the tiny fonts.

schauerlich
October 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I like wmii.

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Wmii?

I like wmii.
dwm is a lighter, more minimal wmii.

So is nathangrubb, so what else is new? He's using xmonad, by the way. I would prefer wmii, if it wasn't for the tiny fonts.
Xmonad is my second favorite.

Dr Small
October 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I like wmii.
I did too, but it caused a strain on my eyes, from trying to read the small fonts.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I did too, but it caused a strain on my eyes, from trying to read the small fonts.

What is there to read?

Dr Small
October 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
What is there to read?
the system clock in the far right hand corner?

-grubby
October 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM

yeah.. I'm kind of on wmii now, I figured out how to use xmonad but some of the things it did were annoying me (like not being able to stretch a window with the cursor+alt by grabbing the edges)

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Wmii just struck me as dwm with a bunch of needless "features" (in other words, bloat).

chucky chuckaluck
October 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
dwm ftw. i even -Rs'ed ob.

-grubby
October 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Wmii just struck me as dwm with a bunch of needless "features" (in other words, bloat).

I've been going on a tiling-switcherama hopping thing lately, so I may give dwm a shot also

Dharmachakra
October 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I've never actually used a tiling WM but I use XP's tiling system all the time when I'm at school. And when I use Compiz I use the Grid plugin alot...

I guess I should look in to dwm or Xmonad or wmii. :-\"

RiceMonster
October 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Whenever I use a titling WM I find myself thinking "Ok I can see when this would be useful but most of the time I don't want my windows to tile, so it gets annoying". Also, none of them have a system tray (which I need) and I found it very annoying using a system tray like trayer or stalonetray inside one.

Well to each his own though. Tiling WMs have their place for sure, but they're not for me.

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I've been going on a tiling-switcherama hopping thing lately, so I may give dwm a shot also
I like dwm and Xmonad. Most of the others gave me the wrong vibes somehow.

Whenever I use a titling WM I find myself thinking "Ok I can see when this would be useful but most of the time I don't want my windows to tile, so it gets annoying". Also, none of them have a system tray (which I need) and I found it very annoying using a system tray like trayer or stalonetray inside one.

Well to each his own though. Tiling WMs have their place for sure, but they're not for me.
I just got sick of opening sakura and having it blot out part of the web page I'm viewing.

sertse
October 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I tried using dwm once, never really got it. Could say the same for most of the others...

The only one I get (and use) is dvtm, which is said to be inspired by dwm (but I don't see it), but its for the terminal.

chucky chuckaluck
October 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
i like xmonad, but to install it on arch and get all the dependencies, it's an over 300mb installation. i also never really figured out how to make transparent terminals work on it. awesome's good and so is wmii. i just like dwm for its lightness to the absurd and my delusion that it's faster than anything else. ion3 is an oddball, for sure.

urukrama
October 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm on Awesome at the moment. Though only one tag tiles my windows (and that is almost exclusively for terminals), I've found it quite helpful and pleasant to work with. Awesome is neat.

I've used wmii and xmonad in the past, but find myself always returning to Awesome. I never liked that you have to recompile dwm to change colours or settings, but I love dvtm for the console.

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM
i like xmonad, but to install it on arch and get all the dependencies, it's an over 300mb installation. i also never really figured out how to make transparent terminals work on it. awesome's good and so is wmii. i just like dwm for its lightness to the absurd and my delusion that it's faster than anything else. ion3 is an oddball, for sure.
ion is just weird.

I'm on Awesome at the moment. Though only one tag tiles my windows (and that is almost exclusively for terminals), I've found it quite helpful and pleasant to work with. Awesome is neat.

I've used wmii and xmonad in the past, but find myself always returning to Awesome. I never liked that you have to recompile dwm to change colours or settings, but I love dvtm for the console.
Awesome is OK - sort of a hybrid WM. Compiling dwm takes about the same amount of time as remembering what part of .awesomerc to edit :)

urukrama
October 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Awesome is OK - sort of a hybrid WM.

That is what I like about it.

Compiling dwm takes about the same amount of time as remembering what part of .awesomerc to edit :)

I know it doesn't take long, but I just don't like it :-)

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I know it doesn't take long, but I just don't like it :-)
Whatever does it for you :)

jimi_hendrix
October 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
what are the advantages of a tiling WM?

im always out for something new or something to make my computer look more confusing

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 12:37 AM
what are the advantages of a tiling WM?

im always out for something new or something to make my computer look more confusing
When you open a new window, instead of overlapping the windows already open, they will automatically resize and 'tile' the windows. Here are some pros of tiling WMs:

* Most tiling WMs provide very good keyboard control. You can do almost anything with the keyboard.
* All tiling WMs I've seen are extremely lightweight and fast.
* Floating window managers don't actually "manage" your windows much. They just let them hang around. A tiling WM will provide you means with which to customize its behavior; then it actively manages your windows.

and some cons:

* Tiling WMs don't provide much in the way of pretty GUIs. This isn't necessarily a con (I like it), but you should be comfortable editing config files by hand.
* Some apps (like the GIMP) don't take to tiling very well. You can set them to float by default, but it can still be a little tricky.

Give a tiling WM a try and see if you like it. I'm a fan of dwm (http://www.suckless.org/dwm/) and Xmonad (http://xmonad.org/), but Awesome (http://awesome.naquadah.org/) is sort of a hybrid tiling/floating WM and it is a good way to start out. Wmii (http://www.suckless.org/wmii/) is also popular.

jimi_hendrix
October 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
thanks...a good beginner one?

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM
thanks...a good beginner one?
As I said, Awesome is good for beginners.

chucky chuckaluck
October 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM
why didn't you guys tell me about dvtm earlier? i'm using it with screen in the console. this is fun. (and what a lovely shade of red, too.)

jimi_hendrix
October 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM
As I said, Awesome is good for beginners.
did not see the bottom of your post so you get double thanks

cardinals_fan
October 6th, 2008, 01:23 AM
You might like this post (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/first-steps-with-awesome-window-manager/) by urukrama.