PDA

View Full Version : Better choice of animals for codename

uid313
October 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Why do we always pick the crap animals for the codenames of our releases?
We have crap like "Breezy Badger", "Hoary Hedgehog", "Warty Warthog", "Gutsy Gibbon", "Hardy Heron", and "Intrepid Ibex".
These are weak crap animals that cant even hunt anything, they get preyed on by the big animals.

This while Mac OS X gets to have all the cool animals, they have Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Tiger, Panther, Leopard, etc. All big, strong and dangerous animals that can roar!

We should have the bad*** animals. The king of the jungle, the top of the food-chain!

Stop picking weak names like badger, hedgehog, rabbit, butterfly, etc.
We should have badass names like "Gruesome Godzilla", "Terrifying Tyrannosaurus", "Vicious Velociraptor", "Tireless Tigershark", "Fearless Falcon", "Crushing Crocodile", etc.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/259/godzillabz0.png

eldragon
October 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
hmmm, i like greasy grasshopper myself :D

akiratheoni
October 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't say that Apple chooses the best 'animals' because they're only picking from the Big Cats. Besides, codenames are supposed to be fun. The code names for Magic: the Gathering sets are "Peanut", "Butter, "Jelly", and "Control", "Alt", "Delete".

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Obviously, this person has never seen an Ibex. They are very cool.

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I would vote Krappy Kockroach to be name for Ubuntu 9.04. If 9.04 comes good, we'll have a real ironic name. :P

Kingsley
October 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Would Mighty Manbearpig be a better choice for a codename?

jimi_hendrix
October 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
or Jamin' Jimi...

jk

i say we go with giddy geoduck...(google it its a real animal)

jespdj
October 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I would vote Krappy Kockroach to be name for Ubuntu 9.04. If 9.04 comes good, we'll have a real ironic name. :P
We're not skipping the J. The name for Ubuntu 9.04 has already been chosen, it's going to be Jaunty Jackalope.

Here's the official documentation page for the Ubuntu release names:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
We're not skipping the J. The name for Ubuntu 9.04 has already been chosen, it's going to be Jaunty Jackalope.

Here's the official documentation page for the Ubuntu release names:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames
Oops! I was referring to 9.10

SpenceMakesSense
October 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Oops! I was referring to 9.10

9.10 is going to be grumpy groundhog:D

sc0tt10
October 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've got one! Flatulent Falcon. :)

RATM_Owns
October 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Seconded.

Swarms
October 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Seconded.

Are you serial?

Thirded!

jimi_hendrix
October 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i say we make a poll for mighty manbearpig...

Kingsley
October 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Are you serial?

Thirded!
Oh, I'm sure he's SUPER SERIAL.

koenn
October 5th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Why do we always pick the crap animals for the codenames of our releases?
We have crap like "Breezy Badger", "Hoary Hedgehog", "Warty Warthog", "Gutsy Gibbon", "Hardy Heron", and "Intrepid Ibex".
These are weak crap animals that cant even hunt anything, they get preyed on by the big animals.

This while Mac OS X gets to have all the cool animals, they have Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Tiger, Panther, Leopard, etc. All big, strong and dangerous animals that can roar!

We should have the badass animals. The king of the jungle, the top of the food-chain!

Stop picking weak names like badger, hedgehog, rabbit, butterfly, etc.
We should have badass names like "Gruesome Godzilla", "Terrifying Tyrannosaurus", "Vicious Velociraptor", "Tireless Tigershark", "Fearless Falcon", "Crushing Crocodile", etc.

If all you have is a cool name, and nothing to support it, people will see right through it.
On the other hand, it takes real cool to have a "silly" name and get away with it.

I propose "Kinky Koala"

brunovecchi
October 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I guess that having innocent, harmless animals as codenames serves the Linux spirit better. I recall reading about a discussion that was held at the kernel developers' mail list, in which someone questioned Tux as being too inoffensive; Linus replied that it was meant to be that way. He even said that it had to look as if the penguin had an abundant meal and was ready for a nap.
I'll post a link if I find it.

malachi1990
November 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Or we could try something like kind komodo or kind kodiak. Gives the impression of the giant who wouldn't harm a fly (but could easily kick tail if he so desired).

HungryMan
November 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM

You beat me to the cockroach thing... :(
I was thinking Crunchy Cockroach hahaha

But Killer (killer killer! killer! killer!.... girlyman!) Komodo sounds like what you want.

chucky chuckaluck
November 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
with something like "fighting fisher", we might get more interest from the mma crowd.

Linuxratty
November 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I guess that having innocent, harmless animals as codenames serves the Linux spirit better. it.

I'd hardly call those animals harmless and I'd not call them "weak" either. If you ticked off an ibex or a gibbon,as examples,you would be in a world of pain for sure.
However,I do agree they fit the Linux spirit better than venomous snakes,sharks.lions,etc.
That's what annoys the )@)$#*# out of me. Why is it only predator animals are deemed important and worthy of notice?
The same goes for large animals...What's the deal here?
I happen to like the animal choices so far. I also like prey animals and have preferred them as pets over dogs and cats for all of my life.
Just because an animal is omnivorous or herbivorous does not make it less important in the greater scheme of things. These animals are just as cool,fascinating and interesting as carnaviours,and in many cases,more so.
You think rabbits are weak? You've never had a house rabbit have you? Never seen THIS either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez5QPW-ku4&feature=related

starcannon
November 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
+1 for Mighty Manbearpig
I'd even purchase a few official CD's from the store so I'd have one to hang on the wall.
I'd have to have the t-shirt as well.

johanhartman
November 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
since all of the animals have been of african origin I assume they are talking about an african honey badger in "breezy badger". If you've ever seen one hen you'd know they are definitively not weak. They literally eat cobras for breakfast. According to Guinness Book of World Records the "most fearless animal" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratel)

Simian Man
November 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I actually saw an Ibex yesterday at the fair, and it was pretty awesome, so that name is OK.

Jackalopes, on the other hand, are not only fake animals, they were supposedly inspired by diseased rabbits (wiki) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope). So I think they could have done better on that one.

Here's hoping for Kickass Kangaroo?

Skripka
November 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
-Linus Torvalds

richg
November 11th, 2008, 01:13 AM
You must be bored or very angry person. The name is no big deal.

Rich

poebae
November 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I've got one! Flatulent Falcon. :)
Maybe this is just based on the 'exploding pidgeon' urban myth(?), but I was under the impression that birds couldn't fart.

Killer Koala anyone?
Leering Llama?
Mega Man?
Nimble Numbat?

I could go on forever

Sponzenbroekske
November 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't say that Apple chooses the best 'animals' because they're only picking from the Big Cats. Besides, codenames are supposed to be fun. The code names for Magic: the Gathering sets are "Peanut", "Butter, "Jelly", and "Control", "Alt", "Delete".

I dont know but have you seen his drawing, hes completly right

HungryMan
November 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Maybe this is just based on the 'exploding pidgeon' urban myth(?), but I was under the impression that birds couldn't fart.

Killer Koala anyone?
Leering Llama?
Mega Man?
Nimble Numbat?

I could go on forever

Mega Man is copyrighted lol, and why did you consider horny...err happy humans as animals?

eternalnewbee
November 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Jurassic Jaguar):P

poebae
November 14th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Mega Man is copyrighted lol, and why did you consider horny...err happy humans as animals?
Technically we are :)