PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash doesn't work with youtube

notmatt
October 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with viewing flash in a few websites. Namely the videos on youtube. I've tried totally uninstalling (doing apt-get clean and autoremove inbetween the installs) firefox & flashplayer. I've uninstalled all my plugins and still no luck. I've also upgraded to flash 10 as well. I still get a blank box where the video would be. However plenty of other flash videos on other sites eg news.bbc.co.uk work fine.

If you look at the attached screenshots, the small flash animation on the front page works ok, but when I go to an actual movie, as in the error screenshot, I just get a blank box where the vid would be.

I'm not using any 'blocking' extensions eg adblock, noscript or flashblock. I'm using Hardy (32bit) and firefox 3.0.3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

aysiu
October 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Can you make sure you don't have swfdec or gnash installed?

notmatt
October 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Nope definitely not using either. I did try gnash, but that didn't make any difference. Would the output of apt-cache showpkg (for firefox and flash) be of any use?

I've just installed Flock and flash on youtube works fine in that.

aysiu
October 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Are you using Firefox from the Ubuntu repositories or Firefox from the Mozilla website?

notmatt
October 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Firefox from the repos.

notmatt
October 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Specifically the firefox package that links to the firefox3 package. Would the output of apt-cache for the relevant packages be handy?

I can provide a list of my extensions as well.

Chocomochino
October 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm having the same problem, but the output for me was, video not avaliable anymore,

in other sites everything worked right, also in opera, those videos worked, i'm using flash 10.

after removing flash 10, and trying with flash 9 opera got broken and is not loading youtube videos anymore, my guess is that opera was using flash 9 somehow.
i tried with 10 again and it's not working,

using Hardy amd64 with firefox 3 from the repos.

notmatt
November 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
I "fixed" this by basically moving over to flock/installing firefox manually/downgrading (again!) to firefox 2.0.