PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB Help!!!!

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I formatted my C:\ drive but GRUB still tries to boot :O how can stop this happening

thanks in advance.

Elfy
October 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
You've uninstalled ubuntu and are left with grub failing or something else?

If that's the case use your win disc to restore the windows bootloader

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
i dont have a windows disc to restore the MBR, is there another way i can fix it ?

GuDoN
October 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
What exactly do you mean? You want grub to boot your linux? Windows bootloader to take over, even though you formatted it's drive??

Grub is on your linux partition? More info, expecting help with two sentences isn't really helping anyone here, especially yourself.

Please explain your case to us. :)

GuDoN
October 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
i dont have a windows disc to restore the MBR, is there another way i can fix it ?

Try http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/super-grub-disk-fix-windows-linux-boot.html

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
ok ill explain it all now, i had a dual boot system with ubuntu on my external hdd and xp on my internal one, i decided against linux now, and i wanted to uninstall it, i read that if i fix the MBR then jus format the external drive everything should be ok, but i formatted my drive but grub still boots up even though the external drive isnt plugged in and i want to stop this from happening so i can just go back to having xp as my only operating system

Elfy
October 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
then you need to fixmbr if you don't have the windisc then go with the supergrub option as gudon has given you can get the supergrub here

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

It has to be burnt as an iso and then you boot with it.

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
so when i boot up the supergrub disc what do i ?

Elfy
October 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Once it has started follow the menus to the win options and use it - it should uninstall grub from the mbr for you - screenshots above show it

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
ive burnt the iso u gave me directly and it wont boot :( ive run out of ideas now :(:( any help at all is greatly appriciated

Elfy
October 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Did you burn it as an iso or data?

Is your pc/laptop setup to boot from cd first?

TheRiddler12
October 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
i tried it as both incase one wasnt working and yeh it jus says, Operating system not found unless i plug my external hard drive in and grub loads

Elfy
October 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Does the buntu livecd boot? If it does then there is something wrong with the discs you have burnt.

IF no discs boot then you need to check that you are booting with cdrom first.