PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help me identify a file type?

MaxIBoy
October 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM
My mom created this file on a classic, 1980s era Macintosh a few years ago, and now she needs to look at it again. She says she doesn't know what word processor she used. MS Word 03 says the file was created in an older version of Word, which is apparantly blocked in the registry or something (parents still use XP.) OpenOffice 2.4 doesn't know what to do with the file either.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of classic Macs, but I do know they had something along the lines of a MIME type. I know enough Python to print that MIME type out to a console. Could someone tell my how many bytes it is, and maybe a good website I could search for the MIME type once I found it? Also, once I identify what kind of file it is, could someone tell me a program that will open that file?

snova
October 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
The "file" command's purpose is to identify file types. It has an option to print MIME types, "-i".

If it can't recognize it, I don't know what to do, but assuming it can figure out what it is, I don't know what to do then either. Google whatever it suggests to you, I guess.

Riffer
October 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Did a quick search and the mac system of the time frame was 6. The works version was probably 4. Also at that time many Mac users were using Claris.

Hope that helps a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleWorks

found this

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
You can always open it in a hex editor.

pp.
October 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I seem to remember that mac files were some kind of packages containing a 'fork' (?) and the payload (the contents of the file). You had to un-something the file in order to use it on any other OS. UNSITI comes to mind, but I don't know if that is what I am thinking of.

MaxIBoy
October 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'll try putting Cygwin on the machine and using that "file" command.

Scruffynerf
October 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Chances are it might be a Claris product - Claris was the most common office-like software solutions out there at that time.

Just hope that it's not a quark document. Nothing can open those, and believe me, I've tried.

medic2000
October 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM
www.filext.com

davidryder
October 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
www.filext.com

+1

What's the extension of the file?

Greyed
October 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
'80s era Macs did not use file extensions.

pp.
October 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Perhaps this could be useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork