PDA

View Full Version : WTH HAPPENED TO oMg PuRpLe PoNiEs????

Redrazor39
October 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Where is it? Backyard? Pink ponies? That was my favorite place here and now it's gone :(

AndyCooll
October 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
It was retired.

:cool:

Gutt
October 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Deleted as it was announced a while back :o .

smartboyathome
October 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Basically, the admins and mods got tired of all the fighting and mudflinging that went on in there, and decided it was time to get rid of it.

billgoldberg
October 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Basically, the admins and mods got tired of all the fighting and mudflinging that went on in there, and decided it was time to get rid of it.

Haha (on avatar).

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah it's gone.
However you can check my sig and find that it still lives on...

eragon100
October 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Where is it? Backyard? Pink ponies? That was my favorite place here and now it's gone :(

It's slaughtered, but you can go here to this place if you want to have it back:

http://grubbn.org/omgpp/index.php

It's exactly the same as the old OMGPP, have fun! :wink:

steeleyuk
October 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
http://grubbn.org/omgpp/images/pearl/logo.png

:D

I like it...

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
http://grubbn.org/omgpp/images/pearl/logo.png

:D

I like it...

We love that symbol...

steeleyuk
October 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
We love that symbol...

Kinda reminds me of the Pidgin logo.

dasunst3r
October 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Kinda reminds me of the Pidgin logo.oMg PuRpLe BiRdS!

chucky chuckaluck
October 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM
We love that symbol...

i miss the flea.

mips
October 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
They took the pony out back and shot it!

Joeb454
October 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
They took the pony out back and shot it!

Then we had a hearty meal of barbequed pony and beers all around

Redrazor39
October 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't believe it. Wasn't the point of OMGPP/Backyard to send all the Mudslinging there and keep it out of everywhere else? This is terrible :(

Joeb454
October 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I don't believe it. Wasn't the point of OMGPP/Backyard to send all the Mudslinging there and keep it out of everywhere else? This is terrible :(

No, that opinion only added to it's demise - OMGPP was always part of the forum at large - which means it was also subject to the same CoC and moderation as other forums.

Some people seemed to think this wasn't the case however.

Beaver Dam
October 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM
"They Shoot Horses Don't They?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V04EPbaFSdA)

cov
October 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have visited the 'Not OMGPP' forum, but the content there is pretty bland.

I am interested in hearing what ordinary Americans have to say about their forthcoming presidential elections, but a search there for the keyword 'Palin' brings up only 6 threads, most of which are nothing to do with the election.

The Zulu term 'Ubuntu' is often described as 'Humanity', but is more than that. It refers to the interaction of communities and people.

As an outsider to the American political scene living in South Africa, I am horrified by the very real prospect of the baton of Bush's highly divisive isolationist foreign policies being taken on by McCain.

mips
October 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I am interested in hearing what ordinary Americans have to say about their forthcoming presidential elections, but a search there for the keyword 'Palin' brings up only 6 threads, most of which are nothing to do with the election.

The Zulu term 'Ubuntu' is often described as 'Humanity', but is more than that. It refers to the interaction of communities and people.

As an outsider to the American political scene living in South Africa, I am horrified by the very real prospect of the baton of Bush's highly divisive isolationist foreign policies being taken on by McCain.

I think the whole idea is to get away from politics & religions ;)

So lets concentrate on The Sharks winning the Currie Cup :)

rune0077
October 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM

You are actually allowed to start new threads over there. If there's a topic you want to talk about, and you can't find it, then start a thread instead of complaining that there aren't any.

And yes, these forums have become incredibly boring without the ponies.

lisati
October 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Then we had a hearty meal of barbequed pony and beers all around

I heard a rumour that some of it went to the glue factory.

cov
October 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I think the whole idea is to get away from politics & religions ;)

So lets concentrate on The Sharks winning the Currie Cup :)

Yes, if you read the Sunday Times last week, they said that the sharks should be able to beat (in their words) 'anybody'.

I'm currently in PE at the mo' (long story), but even here at the home of the 'mighty elephants', you won't get much of a argument if you assert that the sharks are going to win the Currie Cup.

On the other hand the US presidential race has a huge bearing on life on this planet.

Joeb454
October 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I heard a rumour that some of it went to the glue factory.

Only parts that weren't edible. Some went to a violin factory for strings too ;)

mips
October 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
... you won't get much of a argument if you assert that the sharks are going to win the Currie Cup.

It aint over until the fat lady has sung. The Sharks have lost before in the finals even though everytbody thought they were going to win. Not counting m chicks until they hatch ;)

cov
October 6th, 2008, 03:32 PM
It aint over until the fat lady has sung. The Sharks have lost before in the finals even though everytbody thought they were going to win. Not counting m chicks until they hatch ;)

Yes, the finals phase is knockout, so one bad day, a few errors by the ref, and you could be out.

I'm not saying the sharks WILL win the finals. Just that they are far and away the most capable side. Furthermore, I'm suggesting that that this does not really fly in the face of percieved wisdom, so suggesting it will not generate much in the way of argument.

The US Presidential election is a different kettle of fish...

Canis familiaris
October 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Some way of remembering the PuRpLe pOnIeS

Joeb454
October 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
/me edits Anurag_panda's post and changes font color to white

cov
October 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Some way of remembering the PuRpLe pOnIeS

To be honest, it was a damn stupid name.

Mind you 'pink' ponies was worse.

And when they made the default font colour pink, it was virtually unreadable.

pp.
October 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Only parts that weren't edible. Some went to a violin factory for strings too ;)

Bows. Not strings. :-({|=

Joeb454
October 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Bows. Not strings. :-({|=

I knew it was some part of a violin :)

pp.
October 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Bows again, then exits.

:-({|=

handy
October 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM
And yes, these forums have become incredibly boring without the ponies.

I have to agree with you there rune0077, I feel like the heart has been removed from the Ubuntu community.

The surgeons tried to save it using a variety of operations, though in the end the disease could not be stemmed & the apparently essential heartectomy was performed.

Currently, the Not OMGPP forum, in a desperate attempt to find a substitute for the real thing is trying to resuscitate the offal!

This is of course quite understandable, as family members will do anything to stave off the pain of loss. Though I will be surprised if it lives to a ripe old age, as the damaged heart just doesn't have enough new blood to pump; much that does exist is quite closely related, therefore there is a strong likely hood that inbreeding (due to this lack of new genes) will lead to its eventual demise.

Conversely, the steadily increasing number of new genes over the last year or so, is very likely what caused the growth of the initial heart disease, which exhibited an imbalance, caused by a lack of healthy nutrition combined with an oversupply of certain hormones; resulting in a watering down of substance & hormones that need to pointlessly defend themselves.

Ah! But in its prime... :lolflag:

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I have to agree with you there rune0077, I feel like the heart has been removed from the Ubuntu community.

Actually, I think it has been rejuvenated. All about point of view I guess.

I feel like a child again.

handy
October 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I feel like a child again.

You no longer have to deal with problems in the BY, & that would be rejuvenating I'm sure.

Now we have the limited variety of conversation available in the cafe, & tech' stuff; which loses its luster after some decades, or at least it has for me. :lolflag:

Canis familiaris
October 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM

FOr Mods Maybe.
For Normal Users NO.

cov
October 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
My point is that there is nowhere on the Ubuntu forums to properly discuss important matters which affect the whole Ubuntu community, but are perhaps not entirely relevant to the forum.

For myself as someone outside of the USA, I want to have some way of testing what the community feels about developments in the US presidential elections, because these have a disproportionately high impact on the lives of people right across the planet.

For example, I feel that George Bush's isolationist policies and unilateralism have actually strengthened the hand of Islamic extremism although many Americans feel that it has made them safer at home.

I am also alarmed at reports of McCain's desire to sideline the UN and replace it with a body that might be easier for the US to control.

These sort of issues do not appear to be very popular on the new replacement site.

Artificial Intelligence
October 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
FOr Mods Maybe.
For Normal Users NO.

correction:

For Mods - Yes.
For a few handful of users - No.

handy
October 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
correction:

For Mods - Yes.

I'm sure you are right AI.

There was a handful of us that spent a great deal of time in the BY, & we only occasionally crossed the line re. the CoC.

Pity that line was crossed so many times & went on in the res' centre.

I'm not really crying over spilled milk, though it would be easy to think so... :)

fiddledd
October 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
My point is that there is nowhere on the Ubuntu forums to properly discuss important matters which affect the whole Ubuntu community, but are perhaps not entirely relevant to the forum.

For myself as someone outside of the USA, I want to have some way of testing what the community feels about developments in the US presidential elections, because these have a disproportionately high impact on the lives of people right across the planet.

For example, I feel that George Bush's isolationist policies and unilateralism have actually strengthened the hand of Islamic extremism although many Americans feel that it has made them safer at home.

I am also alarmed at reports of McCain's desire to sideline the UN and replace it with a body that might be easier for the US to control.

These sort of issues do not appear to be very popular on the new replacement site.

So you started threads on these subjects in Not OMGPP and got no responses, seems strange.

cov
October 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
correction:

For Mods - Yes.

I hope I can say this without causing offence, but that sounds pretty arrogant. To me anyway.

How did you verify that only a handful of users would be affected? Or was that decision taken unilaterally by the mods?

Did you estimate that the users who visit and use the omgpp are only a fraction of the total registered usership (which would probably be true, but largely irrelevant), or did you estimate that, of the people who use and visit the omgpp forum, only a handful did so voluntarily? And that the vast majority visited under duress or by mistake?

I can accept that the mods might have been under duress to visit omgpp as their duties required it, but I cannot think why, out of all the people who visited and used omgpp, you feel that the majority would feel 'rejuvenated' (whatever that means) by it's axing.

To me it's about free speech.

I do accept that arguments sometimes get a bit heated and the mods' job might become unpleasant, and, especially under a litigious culture, surely there is space for reasonable debate on important issues?

I hope this doesn't cause offence.

cov
October 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
So you started threads on these subjects in Not OMGPP and got no responses, seems strange.

No. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

I have not yet registered there. But prior to registration I have read through threads and done a couple of searches, but haven't actually found much that would induce me to register and comment.

ubuntu-geek
October 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't really see the purpose of allowing this thread to continue. As everyone stated we closed OMGPP on 10/1/08.