PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Ati 4850 installing ati drivers catalyst 8.9 failure help

Jimnast
October 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hello, I've just built a new pc, and it runs fine on windows, the only reason I installed linux is for university. My graphics card is an msi ati hd4850. Now I know as much about linux as a frog does about how an airplane is made. Moving on to the problem.

I've searched and searched, and done many many many things to get these ati drivers to work. Nothing works. I'm running ubuntu 8.04. The drivers seem to have installed, but when I type fglrxinfo in the terminal, I get:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.3-rc2)

Now apparently, I've read that if mesa is there, than the drivers are not installed properly. However ati catalyst control center works. And it recognises that I have an 4800 series card. But when I enable desktop effects, (which I have to, because in firefox, when I scroll, the screen is choppy and moves at the pace of a snail) I get a white screen. And you can't do anything.

I really have no clue what to do. Any ideas?

Jimnast
October 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Also I'm trying to install the ati proprietary drivers, because the ones in the hardware drivers thing work like poo. And what's interesting is even though I've installed the ati proprietary drivers, the hardware drivers thing tells me no proprietary drivers are installed.