PDA

View Full Version : MySpace Opinions

Iandefor
November 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM
My friends kept on pressuring me to join MySpace. I got tired of their pressuring and joined; On the whole, I'm not at all interested in MySpace and would rather my friends let me alone in that respect. However, I'd be interested in hearing what some of my fellow Forum-members think of MySpace, now that it's invaded my own life. So: What is your opinion of MySpace?

Before you compose a response, here are a couple things I'd like you to keep in mind:

1. If you make an equivocal statement, back it up. "MySpace Rocks!" is fine if you say why it rocks; otherwise, just say "I like MySpace alot."
2. Please keep flames and bickering out of this thread (And the forums in general, now that I think about it)

aysiu
November 23rd, 2005, 05:28 AM
Being pressured to join something like MySpace usually results in nothing great. I got pressured to join Friendster for the longest time. When I gave in, I realized Friendster was boring. Join if you like it. Otherwise, what's the point? It shouldn't be anyone's job to convince you out of joining. Your friends should be convincing you into it!

Brunellus
November 23rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
I joined myspace because...well...I had friends on it. And most of the local indie bands I hang out with post their gigs on there, so I treat it like a gig aggregator.

Otherwise, myspace is terrible. Whoever came up with the idea that they were going to let individual users put songs and videos up on their profiles should be shot--it's an almost criminal waste of bandwidth, and makes a site that is already slow much slower.

also, since it's a Friend-of-a-Friend service, who was the retard who made "Tom" EVERYONE'S friend? it means instantly you have a first-degree connection to everyone else on the network--no wonder it's so damned slow!

akurashy
November 23rd, 2005, 05:48 AM
opinions... they should burn their server and ... no comments.. well they should update their server.. its verty slow, with all their traffic..

kingsidy
November 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM
i think that myspace is overrated. Plus like other people say it is in fact slow. I joined because there was a lot of buzz. WHen i did i was not impressed at all

Iandefor
November 23rd, 2005, 06:09 AM
Being pressured to join something like MySpace usually results in nothing great. I got pressured to join Friendster for the longest time. When I gave in, I realized Friendster was boring. Join if you like it. Otherwise, what's the point? It shouldn't be anyone's job to convince you out of joining. Your friends should be convincing you into it!
I totally understand and agree with you, but some of my friends are pretty insistent, and when they get an idea into their head, getting it out usually requires a hammer and a lot of shouting. I joined mainly to get them to shut up :).
I'm not certain I understand your meaning when you say:

It shouldn't be anyone's job to convince you out of joining. Your friends should be convincing you into it!

Could you elaborate a little on what you mean? What I got out of that was that you were supporting my friends' attempts to make me join... but that doesn't match the tone of the rest of your response.

I agree with you 100% on that whole "Tom" thing, Brunellus.

What scares me is that about half of my friends spend the majority of their time on MySpace, leaving comments on each others' profiles and doing god-knows-what-other kinds of MySpace-y things.

JimmyJazz
November 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
its a little sick what people on that sight will do for attention.

MySpace is one of the worst designed websites in the world, despite the fact that they are probally making millions from sponsors the sight design and service is horrible, if I was paying for a service like that I would be pissed but I'm not so I have no complaints.

uberlinux
November 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Myspace.com is for dumbasses with ghey emo haircuts

Iandefor
November 23rd, 2005, 08:21 AM

Care to expand on that thesis? Have you done any research to back that up? How about studies? Can you cite any? Why are their emo haircuts "ghey"? :D

lol... note in my original post:

1. If you make an equivocal statement, back it up. "MySpace Rocks!" is fine if you say why it rocks; otherwise, just say "I like MySpace alot."

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting my own words, but my request also applies to your comments. If you're not prepared to defend or expand on them, there's no actual point in posting. I'm interested not only in your opinion, but what leads you to your opinion; That's why I made that request in the first place.

my question for you is: Why is MySpace for "dumbasses with ghey emo haircuts,"?

uberlinux
November 23rd, 2005, 08:38 AM
I swear I've got proof, hang on a minute!

uberlinux
November 23rd, 2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.filecabi.net/v/file/1118219367/wmvthe end of the vid explains the myspace connectionand yes... they are all either like that or thugs

Stormy Eyes
November 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
MySpace is an aesthetic abomination. I'd rather look at post-modern art that uses elephant dung.

xaque
November 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
MySpace is an aesthetic abomination. I'd rather look at post-modern art that uses elephant dung.

I'd rather look at elephant dung. Or anything else for that matter. Navigating some people's pages on Myspace is like trying to disarm a bomb that's hidden inside a swimming pool filled with tapioca pudding. Really, it's that bad.

Stormy Eyes
November 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'd rather look at elephant dung. Or anything else for that matter. Navigating some people's pages on Myspace is like trying to disarm a bomb that's hidden inside a swimming pool filled with tapioca pudding. Really, it's that bad.

The phrase "crime against humanity" shouldn't be used lightly, but it should certainly be used to describe MySpace.com. Friends don't encourage their friends to use that abomination.

Iandefor
November 28th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Yeah... that's about on the mark IMHO. Since it seems like everyone's said their piece, is there any way to delete a thread? No actual point in keeping it around, it seems.

Wide
November 28th, 2005, 03:55 AM

ROFLMAO:lol:

angrykeyboarder
November 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
its a little sick what people on that sight will do for attention.

MySpace is one of the worst designed websites in the world, despite the fact that they are probally making millions from sponsors the sight design and service is horrible, if I was paying for a service like that I would be pissed but I'm not so I have no complaints.

I agree 100%. So do these (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.myspace.com)folks.

Firefox (on Windows or Linux) often crashes on that site. It's poorly designed AND the stupid thing runs on Winblows (http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=*.myspace.com). At least Friendster runs on Linux. (http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=*.friendster.com)

BWF89
November 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I think forums are better than MySpace.

kvidell
November 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I had a legit reason for joining MySpace.
Everyone and their grandmother seems to be on it...
I took advantage of that.

See, I have a very good friend whom I've been friends with since I was in kindergarten or so (5 years old), but about 3 years ago my family moved away and due to... issues, I lost contact with him and was having a hell of a time finding him.

Lo and behold, he was on MySpace, and I got my best friend back.
I've stuck around on it to keep up on what my friends from my old high-school are doing, as I miss them and the school very much, but some of them aren't very good at the whole e-mail thing, and I'm too broke for a phone at the moment.

*shrugs*
- Kev

NeoChaosX
November 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM
My take on MySpace, from a couple weeks ago. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=478694&postcount=13). And I still stand by it.

Arktis
November 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM
My take on myspace is that it is an attention gathering site for teenyboppers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=teenybopper

uberlinux
November 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I had a legit reason for joining MySpace.
Everyone and their grandmother seems to be on it...
I took advantage of that.

See, I have a very good friend whom I've been friends with since I was in kindergarten or so (5 years old), but about 3 years ago my family moved away and due to... issues, I lost contact with him and was having a hell of a time finding him.

Lo and behold, he was on MySpace, and I got my best friend back.
I've stuck around on it to keep up on what my friends from my old high-school are doing, as I miss them and the school very much, but some of them aren't very good at the whole e-mail thing, and I'm too broke for a phone at the moment.

*shrugs*
- Kev
This validates the use of myspace.com right there.
Also, the idea of a technological community seems like a good idea, at least in theory.

angrykeyboarder
November 28th, 2005, 09:58 PM
This validates the use of myspace.com right there.
Also, the idea of a technological community seems like a good idea, at least in theory.
I got on just because 2/3 of my online friends were on it and it seemed like the thing to do. I've since joined several of it's competitors (all of which I like better, but everyone still prefers MySpace - mostly because they are clueless).

The community idea is great. That's why so many sites like this have popped up.

Brunellus
November 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Check this out:

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2004/04/first-annual-myspace-stupid-haircut.html

N8MAN1068
November 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Personally, I don't use it and have 0 interest in doing so.
It's mainly a bunch of kids. I was shocked to learn how many underage kids state that they are 18+, the language they use, and the type of photos of themselves they post.
My friend banned his step-son from it after seeing his profile.

If you're a parent and your kid is on there, you might want to check it out.

uberlinux
November 28th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Check this out:

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2004/04/first-annual-myspace-stupid-haircut.html
oh man, thats the funniest thing I've seen in weeks

adamb10
November 28th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I joined myspace because I saw a hot girl has one. :P While that was a year ago and now my friends list is mostly school mates, I still use it.

majikstreet
November 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM
at my school and most others, xanga is "in"... everyone has an xanga! it's so dumb...

joshuapurcell
November 29th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Otherwise, myspace is terrible. Whoever came up with the idea that they were going to let individual users put songs and videos up on their profiles should be shot--it's an almost criminal waste of bandwidth, and makes a site that is already slow much slower.There you go... that's my main gripe. Well that and the backwards way in which you are able to change the look and feel of your page. I could also go without ads that play music on mouseovers and other stuff like that.

I joined myspace for the same reason as the initial poster basicly. I had several friends ask me why I didn't already have a profile there and so I decided to look around and see how many people I could find already signed up. Surprisingly I found a vast majority of my friends who were listed so I gave in. I'm not big on keeping my profile updated with all the latest bands I like and what I've done this weekend. It's strictly there to act as a 'yellow page' entry so I can keep in touch with friends better. It actually serves that purpose fairly well.

psoleko
November 29th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I honestly cannot stand myspace.com and I have many reasons for that. First and foremost the pages set webdesign back 10 years, I almost half expect to see scrolling text and embedded midi's ala the 90's (maybe I should try and view it with Netscape 3). There is no self moderation amongst the community, when you look at other social networking sites users have a certain amount of power to deem material offensive. I am all for looking at cute girls on the interweb but some of the stuff that is posted there is really vulgar for the audience that is viewing it. I really think the indie band and tech aspects of it are great, unfortunatly that is not the majority. Anyone designing that monstrosity with half a brain would have known that it would grow out of control for a small team of employees to moderate. Lastly, I detest myspace.com because it is another microsoft, inferior product with all the marketshare. I believe I am done ranting for now I could probably list another 100 reasons lol.

Iandefor
November 29th, 2005, 04:42 AM
It's strictly there to act as a 'yellow page' entry so I can keep in touch with friends better. It actually serves that purpose fairly well.

It did help me find an old friend who moved to Seattle that I never thought I'd see again, so I guess there is at least a little merit to it; I'm in agreement with you on that last part.

Psoleko: You'd be amazed at what you find on MySpace, unless the term "vulgar" was used as a severe understatement. Just today, I think I saw the most disgusting thing I have ever seen anywhere and it was on a MySpace profile photo (One of my friends was doing random searches. I advise anyone who reads this to never do that if it wasn't already apparent to them); they really need a peer-moderation system of some kind, and, if that fails, they just need to get someone capable of moderating for them.
It truly saddens me to see the levels of immaturity displayed on MySpace.

psoleko
November 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Iandefor, I can only imagine, believe me I won't go searching. What really irks me is that kids are signing up left and right for this crap. I mean honest to goodness kids still playing with G.I Joes. I am not a parent myself, but sometimes I can't believe how ignorant people can be of what they let there kids do online. It's more than just being unsupervised online, it's like dropping a kid right into the middle of Vegas during the 50's.

Iandefor
November 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Totally, Psoleko. What I find most ironic is that the majority of my friends who list all their illicit activities don't even know that all their parent needs to do to see their profile is get an account (I'm not even certain if that's necessary). Interestingly enough, the only one whose parent is actually on MySpace doesn't even care about her daugher's illicit activities being listed publicly. Sad.

Zensunni
November 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I used to think myspace was pretty cool...

But then I realized how bad the idea really was. It is essentially a blog, which I've grown to detest. I tried not to be impressionable, but after reading this article, I soon felt the same:

[warning: mature]
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

Not that I'm so die-hard as the author of that article, but I still have the same thoughts toward it:

-Nobody cares about day-to-day things, like fixing a car.

-Blogging is a pseudo-rightious/real/rewarding/legitimate activity.

-The feeling that you made a difference, or did something accomplished by blogging is fake because: A) It is not a journal or personal log. Relaying it to the internet almost always undermines the integrity of self-truth and what you really would like to say. B) It does not help other people. All it is is random junk. Why dedicate yourself to persue a specific area, when you can just be a reluctant blogger? C) It's reward is just meaningless attention. It's like watching those conversations when nobody has anything to say so they say "remember that part in that movie when....< insert event >".

-It's mainly for people who crave attention but haven't tried to acheive it in a meaningful way or for a just cause.

The whole activity has turned out to be just another opiate that destroys meaning and purpose. If you want to do something meaningfull and make a difference, make goals, chart plans, get involved. Blogging does none of these things.

(BTW - I am not referring to destinguished blogs, such as penny arcade or sirlin.net's weblog)

dolson
December 19th, 2005, 07:59 AM
To be honest, it is kinda cool for bands/musical artists like myself, and music lovers like myself.

For a band, you can get your music out to a lot of people. And you just might (if you don't suck like me) get fans.

For music lovers, you can find a lot of good (and also a lot of crappy) bands that you might not have found otherwise.

So far I haven't been able to find a lot of my old missing friends on there. But I'll keep searching.

bonzodog
December 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I agree 100%. So do these (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.myspace.com)folks.

heh..according to the w3 validator, THIS site has 88 errors!!

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.ubuntuforums.org

Maybe Ubuntugeek should look at this....at least ours doesn't crash browsers and runs on linux.

spdl
December 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I realy don't like MySpace. It's slow and craps out a lot.

From my perspective MySpace is a blog hangout for teenagers, Muscians, Bands, Artists and their groupees.

The worst part about MySpace is that kids, young kids from the age of apparently 10 to 16, are putting their personal lives online. Some are posting their whereabouts and some are posting seductive photos of themselves. There is a huge problem with this. This is a dream come true for child molesters, stalkers and murderers alike.

Please, no flames.

Combat Wombat
December 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
The worst part about MySpace is that kids, young kids from the age of apparently 10 to 16, are putting their personal lives online. Some are posting their whereabouts and some are posting seductive photos of themselves. There is a huge problem with this. This is a dream come true for child molesters, stalkers and murderers alike.

Yeah my younger sister has a myspace account and she has her full name, with a picture of herself and her school and all kinds of other personal info like that. I have tried to explain to her on many occasions that the site is like a rapist playground but she just doesn't understand.

Its only a matter of time till something terrible happens to someone becasue of what they post in their account. Then all of the TV shows and newspapers are all going to be "oh no, how could this have happened" "No one ever saw this coming" Then theres gonna be a push for restrictions on the internet that are gonna screw the rest of us over just to protect stupid Billy and stupid Jane who like to post full autobiographys and logs of their entire lives.

benplaut
December 19th, 2005, 08:31 PM
i have banned myspace from this household, from a router level. I tell my sister that the antivirus blocks it because it contains spyware (good enough...)

some people are so obsessed with it, it's nuts!

Iandefor
December 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
i have banned myspace from this household, from a router level. I tell my sister that the antivirus blocks it because it contains spyware (good enough...)
some people are so obsessed with it, it's nuts!

That's a great idea... I'll have to talk to my school's director, see about getting MySpace blocked. I've had a few uses for MySpace since joining, actually, but IMHO, on the whole, MySpace is a bloated, vulgar, time-consuming, bandwidth-wasting piece of crap.

Enter
December 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
lol i just add all artists i like in myspace xD