PDA

View Full Version : jobs and programming languages

jordilin
October 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Things that happened in live, I've ended up being a perl expert and earning a life out of perl, but I love python. When I search for a job, java and perl are quite strong in the enterprise much more than c# and python (java-c# for strong typed languages, perl-python for weak ones). I'm a bit of a language agnostic and I use the most convenient one to tackle a problem. Does it happen to you, that you end up working in a language that is not your preferred one and you feel sometimes a bit of frustrated? Beginning a career in python would be difficult as there are not as many jobs as for perl, and I'm a perl expert already.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Things that happened in live, I've ended up being a perl expert and earning a life out of perl, but I love python. When I search for a job, java and perl are quite strong in the enterprise much more than c# and python (java-c# for strong typed languages, perl-python for weak ones). I'm a bit of a language agnostic and I use the most convenient one to tackle a problem. Does it happen to you, that you end up working in a language that is not your preferred one and you feel sometimes a bit of frustrated? Beginning a career in python would be difficult as there are not as many jobs as for perl, and I'm a perl expert already.

It depends on where you look. VB, C# and Java jobs are easy to come by (usually) because of the corporate-y nature of them. Schools churn out Java, VB and C# code monkeys by the dozens. (Not to say the languages are the sign of code monkey-ism, just there are a lot of them).

Python jobs are quite lucrative. Google hired Python's creator for example, and I bet he isn't complaining. Python jobs also aren't advertised in the same places.

I find learning a language doesn't interfere with others (unless that language is your first, and it teaches you bad habits).

As I am strictly a hobbyiest, I don't have constraints, but I would, if I had a job, follow the rules, although I'd likely want a job where I had control over the tools in fulfilling the specs.

jordilin
October 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It depends on where you look. VB, C# and Java jobs are easy to come by (usually) because of the corporate-y nature of them.
Agreed, java and c# have strong companies behind like Sun, IBM for java and Microsoft, Novell for C#. Companies in general terms are bound by a lot of FUD when adopting new technologies unless they are backed by huge companies like microsoft, sun or ibm. When I talk about python, many people either doesn't know about it, or express a lot of doubt and uncertainty.

Luke has no name
October 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
What rock are you living under? :P

Dude, every time I go to a job fair and mention my interest in Linux to a booth looking for devs, they say "That's great, but we need .NET guys." The places I talk about are people doing banking and finance software for banks, municipal government, etc.

C# and Java are HUGE right now. I see more ads for those languages than I do for any other. Now, that said, I'm interested in learning Haskell, F#, Python, and refreshing my PHP.

P.S. when I say I like Linux, they point me to the IT department. haha.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
What rock are you living under? :P

Dude, every time I go to a job fair and mention my interest in Linux to a booth looking for devs, they say "That's great, but we need .NET guys." The places I talk about are people doing banking and finance software for banks, municipal government, etc.

Jobs for different things are found at different places. The military, NASA, youtube, google, and many others hire Python programmers (and use Linux).

jordilin
October 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Jobs for different things are found at different places. The military, NASA, youtube, google, and many others hire Python programmers (and use Linux).

These are the cool companies to work for :). "Luke has no name":: Who lives under a rock? we, that use the best technically advanced operating system in the world, or the ones who don't use it. Come on.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Who lives under a rock? we, that use the best technically advanced operating system in the world, or the ones who don't use it. Come on.

Exactly. There is a reason why Linux runs on super computers and not Windows (Windows take a mandatory 90% of system resources, no matter the system)