PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Ever!

myusername
October 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
tonight was my high schools homecoming (i had never been to one before) and i didn't really want to go because i didn't have a date and i heard it was lame. so me and my friend went out to eat before. turns out he set me up on a blind date with this BEAUTIFUL girl. we hung out and when we got to the dance we danced for a while and went our separate ways. well i was talking with some of my friends and two even more beautiful girls come up and ask me to dance. i hung out with them the rest of the night. so all in all tonight was awesome :guitar:

Chilli Bob
October 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Can someone explain to a non-American exactly what "Homecoming" is? You see it in movies all the time, it's a dance and general booze-up, that part I understand, but who's coming home? and from where?

Oh, and kudos with the ladies!

myusername
October 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Can someone explain to a non-American exactly what "Homecoming" is? You see it in movies all the time, it's a dance and general booze-up, that part I understand, but who's coming home? and from where?

it is a school oriented dance for when the football (as in american football) team comes back after an away game to play at home

mips
October 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
it is a school oriented dance for when the football (as in american football) team comes back after an away game to play at home

Do they do the same for baseball?

Giant Speck
October 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Do they do the same for baseball?

No. It's only for football.

In most American high schools, football and basketball are the main sports, and are therefore given the most attention over all the other sports.

sloggerkhan
October 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Homecoming is a stupid American thing.
It has to do with football, which is kind of like a religion for idiots who don't like to think for themselves.

Giant Speck
October 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
It has to do with football, which is kind of like a religion for idiots who don't like to think for themselves.

It's high school. What do you expect?

Everything in high school is like a religion for idiots who don't like to think for themselves because that is exactly what high schoolers are: idiots who don't like to think for themselves.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Oh? We could say the same about any other popular sport in any other country.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15209_10-most-insane-sports-in-world.html You'll note, that "stupid American" doesn't come up to par with the reality of Ireland, Afghanistan, England, Basqueland, and othe countries.

About American high school sports, Football is the most well known, but all of the sports have their own followings. Basketball, soccer ("football"), wrestling, tennis, and swimming were very popular at my school.

Ms_Angel_D
October 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homecoming :wink:

Canis familiaris
October 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
About American high school sports, Football is the most well known
I thought Basketball. At least this is what it appears to me.

soccer("football")

Corrected. :D

Chessmaster
October 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
tonight was my high schools homecoming (i had never been to one before) and i didn't really want to go because i didn't have a date and i heard it was lame. so me and my friend went out to eat before. turns out he set me up on a blind date with this BEAUTIFUL girl. we hung out and when we got to the dance we danced for a while and went our separate ways. well i was talking with some of my friends and two even more beautiful girls come up and ask me to dance. i hung out with them the rest of the night. so all in all tonight was awesome :guitar:

Well, aside from the discussion about what a Homecoming is...

Congrats. Now I hope you got their numbers....or should that be email? May just be the "best night ever", but it could get even better. ;)

billgoldberg
October 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM

I remember they tried to have a school dance at my old high school.

I think 20 people showed up.

When you can hit the bars/raves/parties from when you are 16, a dance at school with teachers and no booze just doesn't sound like something you would do on a Friday night.

--

On topic, I think you'll have a new "best night ever" when you actually get somewhere with a girl.

:p

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I thought Basketball. At least this is what it appears to me.

It is a toss up depending on where you are. Football and Basketball are the two top games I think for student sports in America. I think they have different seasons as well, so they are played at different times.

I am not a team sports fan, but the football games in high school are social events and can be fun for anyone.

mips
October 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I think they have different seasons as well, so they are played at different times.

I think you a correct, just like rubgy & cricket. American football&rugby are winter sports while baseball&cricket are summer sports. It crosses those strick boundaries though when you have northern & souther hemispheres competing though.

joninkrakow
October 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think you a correct, just like rubgy & cricket. American football&rugby are winter sports while baseball&cricket are summer sports. It crosses those strick boundaries though when you have northern & souther hemispheres competing though.

In high school sports in the US, you have to think of them as football being the first semester sport, and basketball for the second semester. In my school, back in the late 70s and early 80s, there were a couple jocks that played both football and basketball. Also, when I transferred to private school, I played soccer/football in the fall, and basketball in the spring semester. No, I wasn't a jock, and always thought I stunk at sports, but it was a small school. ;-)

And technically, homecoming is the night when alumni from the school (graduates) are supposed to visit. Back in the day, at our homecoming, they were recognized at the game--at least older athletes were. Same was true with my college, in fact, at my college, they celebrate 5 and 10 year (and maybe 25 year) reunions during homecoming weekend. Personally, I never got into these things...

-Jon

CumbrianTom
October 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
It's high school. What do you expect?

Everything in high school is like a religion for idiots who don't like to think for themselves because that is exactly what high schoolers are: idiots who don't like to think for themselves.

Makes me feel proud to be British. If a school I went to had something like that, I just wouldn't go. :)
Saying that though, the 6th Form I went to had a Prom for leavers. My main reason for going was that I could wear a tuxedo for the first time.

myusername
October 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM

yeah much like soccer/football for the rest of the world. and yeah i made sure i got their numbers...and pictures haha

Sponzenbroekske
October 5th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Oh? We could say the same about any other popular sport in any other country.

WE? Whos there with you? Plz tell the same about Belgium. :p

billgoldberg
October 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
WE? Whos there with you? Plz tell the same about Belgium. :p

lol

Frak
October 5th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Here's something.

The school I graduated from and now work for was built in the shape of a football. We also have the largest football field and budget of anybody in our district.

Talk about overdoing it...

crimesaucer
October 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I never went to a single school dance.

myusername
October 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Here's something.

The school I graduated from and now work for was built in the shape of a football. We also have the largest football field and budget of anybody in our district.

Talk about overdoing it...

wow thats crazy. the big school here you may have heard of...Hoover (they had there own show on mtv a while back). the play at a college football stadium