PDA

View Full Version : Google Picasa 3

pt123
October 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM
They have released a beta verison:
http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/2008/10/picasa-3-beta-for-linux.html

I am a reluctant F-spot user (I will explain later).

I decided to try it on a test OS partition, I didn't like the idea of Google dumping another set of wine folders on my main OS partition.

Anyway after using it for 10 minutes, I am blown away.

The speed is amazing, the way the thumbnails scroll up and down in browser mode. Also how quickly the full screen images load up.
Then you have tools like Collage which is so intuitive and responsive.
It is a joy to use when you have a large photo collection.
I rarely get this much pleasure from using an application. The last I recall was Firefox 3.

Back to F-spot, the problem with it has been the speed in regards to responsiveness and smoothness. With Picasa you feel like you are floating through your photos like the way Compiz lets you float through your windows.

With F-spot on slideshows the next photo doesn't load immediately and you are left wit a focusing effect, which is unpleasant on the eyes.

As good as Picasa is you are left with ugliness of windows from the dulls Menus to the hideously small "Folder Select" dialogs. Seem to dropping crap like Windows in your photos folder, rather than keeping info in your profile folder.

This experience has left with major doubts about the Linux desktop in regards to the direction of entities like Gnome and Ubuntu. Rather than attempting to write applications they should be more involved in providing the necessary features so application developers like Google Picasa can port/develop their applications to Linux.

sefs
October 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Does it still depend on wine?

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I use Picasa to:

a) upload photos to my web album
b) handle basic editing (batch edit, I love you)

Most organization is handled by gThumb, and I use the GIMP for serious editing.

Twitch6000
October 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM
They still cheating with wine :/.

jrusso2
October 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Why can't Google release a true Linux version? The WINE version is limited in functions compared to the WINDOWS version.

pt123
October 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM
The WINE version is limited in functions compared to the WINDOWS version.
Surprisingly it is not that limited, but very ugly when your are exposed to the Windows UI.
Picasa is extremely fast and smooth not sure if this is possible with GTK.

jrusso2
October 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Surprisingly it is not that limited, but very ugly when your are exposed to the Windows UI.
Picasa is extremely fast and smooth not sure if this is possible with GTK.

The burner functions are not present because they don't work with WINE.

mrgnash
October 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I currently use Picasa pretty extensively for organizing my rather large photo collection, and was eagerly awaiting a new version that would remove/improve some of the continuing shortcomings.

pt123
October 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I currently use Picasa pretty extensively for organizing my rather large photo collection,

Since you are an experienced user I was wondering if there was anyway to stop it from dropping Picasa.ini files in the directories where your images are. It is nearly as bad as the "Thumbs.db" file.

mrgnash
October 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Since you are an experienced user I was wondering if there was anyway to stop it from dropping Picasa.ini files in the directories where your images are. It is nearly as bad as the "Thumbs.db" file.

I've never looked into that, sorry :(

By the way, just tried it out and I am very impressed -- the performance gain is huge over 2.7 :D

diw
October 5th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yeh, I've never really got on with F-Spot - same problems as in the original post from pt123. I tend to use Digikam whenever I can, but I must admit that touching up photos is such a breeze in Picasa that I'm tending to use it more and more. Shame that Picasa lacks some features under wine especially not being able to play videos alongside displaying jpegs - the windows version does this perfectly.

Can anyone tell me why the visual appearance of programs under wine is so poor compared to windows?

eragon100
October 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Why can't Google release a true Linux version? The WINE version is limited in functions compared to the WINDOWS version.

Because, as said on the blog, they use it as a way to improve wine in general. They have already submitted 850 patches for wine this year alone.

amac777
October 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
The burner functions are not present because they don't work with WINE.

I just tried "Make a gift CD" and it made an ISO of the CD instead of burning it. Double clicking the ISO file was all it took to burn it to a CD outside of Picasa so not so bad.

But the Movie function doesn't work (as was stated in the first post). It just gives the funny error message "This feature is not supported for Windows 2000" :D

Overall, I really like it. The collage function and the various types of collages are really neat. I already used it to make a simple collage of some pictures and then email the collage to family.

bryncoles
October 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
i like picasa - its the best (read simplest) photo-app i have ever used, for any OS. and im comparing it to the photo apps taht come with digital cameras mainly. kodaks is (was anyway, last i used) clumsy and ugly to use, and philips was just too decentralised and all over the place. the gimp makes a good port of call for some heavier editing, but i find so little need to tart up my holiday snaps that picasa does it for me.

is it actually easier for google to just wine-up their windows version, rather than convert it to a proper gnome app then? or are they just creating different problems for themselves? i dont really mond either way, i mean, at least we HAVE a version of picasa, and the functionality is there for everything i want to do with it (my needs are minimal, and dont include 'blogging'). i just hope they eventually manage to get video working in it too - thats my only complaint!

Polygon
October 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
fspot sucks horribly, so i will for sure try the new version of picasa out

karellen
October 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
for Windows users, Fast Stone Image Viewer is a good alternative to Picasa. as for Google not releasing a native Linux version of Picasa...well I think Linux is treated like a second class citizen by the Big Ones because of the obvious reason: market share (or lack of)

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 09:09 PM
for Windows users, Fast Stone Image Viewer is a good alternative to Picasa
Ah, another FastStone user :)

I used that back in my Windows days.

Half-Left
October 5th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Gwenview for KDE4 has some great plugins, including Picasaweb plugin.

qazwsx
October 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Can anyone tell me why the visual appearance of programs under wine is so poor compared to windows?

Actually I have found that wine 1.0+ can handle Windows themes pretty well. I haven't found Oxygen theme for windows though. So you can install new Windows themes in wine (run winecfg).

I don't know how to use themes in Picasa.

pt123
October 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Actually I have found that wine 1.0+ can handle Windows themes pretty well.
Do you have a screenshot to prove it :)

Picasa still suffers from the clumsiness of Windows applications.
* It drops Picasa, Picasa Export(?) folder in my home folder.
* as mentioned earlier it drops the picasa.ini all over your images folders it doesn't use .picasa.ini

When you edit or crop a photo it doesn't save the changes to the file. So other applications can't see the changes. When you click on the Export it doesn't give a simpler option to overwrite the original.

In the end Picasa seems to be a non editing photo browser with a neat Collage tool.

Problem with Fspot is that if the non responsives and stutter is caused by Mono they can't escape from it.

Elisa is an application I have seen the smoothness exhibited by Picasa.

amac777
October 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM
When you edit or crop a photo it doesn't save the changes to the file. So other applications can't see the changes.

Actually, I think this is fixed now. I did some red eye removal and Picasa saved the changes right on the files so other applications could see the changes. It also created a sub-directory called Originals and put the original photos in there so you don't loose the originals.

But it did drop Picasa.ini in both the main picture folder and the Originals folder..... it would be nice if that was .Picasa.ini so it was hidden.

EDIT: I just tried crop and it does *not* save the file outside of Picasa by default after you crop it. But if you hit "save" then it does update the file on the disk and create the Original folder with the original stored in it.

pt123
October 6th, 2008, 01:52 AM
EDIT: I just tried crop and it does *not* save the file outside of Picasa by default after you crop it. But if you hit "save" then it does update the file on the disk and create the Original folder with the original stored in it.

Where is the save button?

Edit: Ok found it File Menu > Save
(Not that intuitive)

Wish there was an option not to keep the original.

azza85
October 6th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone is interested but I've just installed Picasa 3 and was really pleased with everything apart from the ugly menu bar. I have created a little work-around to try and solve this problem, so the bar goes from the image on the left to the one on the right...

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll146/arandall85/menu.png

Follow these steps if you would like to achieve this too:

Close any running instances of Picasa, then....

1. Press Alt+F2 to get a run prompt, and enter "gedit ~/.google/picasa/3.0/user.reg"

2. On around the 4th line down in that file you should see a line starting with "[Control Panel\\Colors]", copy and paste the following beneath that line and save and exit the text editor.

"ActiveBorder"="234 229 224"
"ActiveTitle"="188 121 79"
"AppWorkspace"="128 128 128"
"Background"="85 56 40"
"ButtonAlternateFace"="181 181 181"
"ButtonDkShadow"="92 92 92"
"ButtonFace"="239 235 231"
"ButtonHilight"="252 251 250"
"ButtonLight"="241 239 226"
"ButtonShadow"="219 211 203"
"ButtonText"="0 0 0"
"GradientActiveTitle"="188 121 79"
"GradientInActiveTitle"="239 235 231"
"GrayText"="181 179 172"
"Hilight"="246 198 125"
"HilightText"="0 0 2"
"HotTrackingColor"="201 127 85"
"InActiveBorder"="212 208 200"
"InActiveTitle"="239 235 231"
"InActiveTitleText"="83 82 80"
"InfoText"="0 0 0"
"InfoWindow"="255 241 190"
"Menu"="232 232 232"
"MenuBar"="188 121 79"
"MenuHilight"="230 223 217"
"MenuText"="0 0 0"
"Scrollbar"="212 208 200"
"TitleText"="255 255 255"
"Window"="255 255 255"
"WindowFrame"="0 0 0"
"WindowText"="0 0 0"

3. Go to "Applications"->"Graphics"->"Picasa"->"Picasa Font Settings", and launch the application.

4. Select the "Menu Font" tab. Set the Menu Font to "Bitstream Vera Sans" and the Menu Font Size to "12". Click "Ok".

Now when you run Picasa you should see a nicely integrated menu bar.

Hope this helps :)

kpkeerthi
October 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
start rant/
f-spot sucks big time. And picasa with wine sucks more. I hate any "wined" windows apps for that matter.
/end rant

I'm much happier with gthumb - minimal, imports pics from my camera and just works.

mihai.ile
October 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Usually the wine problem is that applications are slow. This is not an issue with picassa, as it's quite fast under wine (actually way faster than F-Spot).
So the big issue in using picassa linux is the interface (apart from missing functions).

Is it possible to create a linux interface that uses picassa as back end?

t0p
October 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm another poor luser who's been hobbling on making do with F-Spot and gThumb. But now I hear that picasa works fine under Wine? Grrreat!! I'll install picasa post-haste!! :)

xiphosurus
October 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
picasa 3 beta for linux is now available!
http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html#picasa30

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM
picasa 3 beta for linux is now available!
http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html#picasa30
A little behind on the news, aren't we? Reread the original post (especially the first line).

Twitch6000
October 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
A little behind on the news, aren't we? Reread the original post (especially the first line).

Uhmm I am not sure if it is the same or not,but what he posted is true .deb's and .rpm's so yeah....

This should mean it does not need wine <.<.

I could be wrong though so just correct me if i am wrong :).

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Uhmm I am not sure if it is the same or not,but what he posted is true .deb's and .rpm's so yeah....

I could be wrong though so just correct me if i am wrong :).
Um, did you mean to quote me? And Picasa has been distributed with packages for several releases now - they have nothing to do with WINE.

Locke_99GS
October 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Um, did you mean to quote me? And Picasa has been distributed with packages for several releases now - they have nothing to do with WINE.

They do have much to do with WINE.

If you don't want to use the repositories, or don't have a compatible package manager, you may also download the packages directly from the following URLs:

rpm, for Red Hat/Fedora/Suse/Mandriva i386 or x86_64:
http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/testing/i386/picasa-3.0.5719-02.i386.rpm
deb, for Debian/Ubuntu i386:
http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/pool/non-free/p/picasa/picasa_3.0.5719-02_i386.deb
deb, for Debian/Ubuntu amd64:
http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/pool/non-free/p/picasa/picasa_3.0.5719-02_amd64.deb

All downloads are approximately 30 MB: Picasa software (13 MB), Wine (11 MB) and Gecko engine (6 MB).

cardinals_fan
October 7th, 2008, 02:56 AM
They do have much to do with WINE.
I was responding to Twitch's statement that Picasa should not need WINE because it comes in a package.

mihai.ile
October 7th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I was responding to Twitch's statement that Picasa should not need WINE because it comes in a package.

What has one thing to do with another? It comes as .deb, good but it comes with wine in it, always did...

binbash
October 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Wine part sucks really. :/

bash
October 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I currently use the latest F-Spot (0.5.0) which seems to be a lot more responsive than the old version included in Ubuntu.

If anyone is interested and wants to try it out, heres a link:

http://www.soccio.it/michelinux/2008/09/21/new-f-spot-050-build-for-ubuntu/en/

Warning to current F-Spot users: It can potentially mess up your current Photo database.

rozbarwinek
October 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
F-Spot is useless :/
I prefer managing my photos with nautilus :)
I hope that F-Spot will be better application in the future, for now DigiKam in the best ^^

geoken
October 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone is interested but I've just installed Picasa 3 and was really pleased with everything apart from the ugly menu bar. I have created a little work-around to try and solve this problem, so the bar goes from the image on the left to the one on the right...

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll146/arandall85/menu.png

Thanks for the awesome tip. If you don't mind, could you post a pic of the restyled menu when a menu item is active/selected?

geoken
October 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Do you have a screenshot to prove it :)

This is for general WINE apps.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=106643

For Picasa in specific you'd need to follow the specific method outlined in a previous post.

azza85
October 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Geoken,

Is this what you mean?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll146/arandall85/ActiveScreenshot.png

Regards

cardinals_fan
October 8th, 2008, 01:12 AM
What has one thing to do with another? It comes as .deb, good but it comes with wine in it, always did...
I have no idea - that's why I corrected him/her.

geoken
October 8th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Hi Geoken,

Is this what you mean?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll146/arandall85/ActiveScreenshot.png

Regards

Yeah. Exactly. Thanks.

I was just wondering if the menu bg color changed along with the menu bar.

Locke_99GS
October 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Context menus are fixed as well. It looks good.

macvr
October 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
i hope picasa is created for linux without wine...
and seriously they should remove f-Spot from a default app... stupid program!!!!

is there any other program as good as picasa for linux?

Canzei
November 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hi all, first time posting here. Me and my family installed Ubunutu on our old computer last week and the results have been really great! Definitely prefer it to Windows.

Just one thing: I was having a problem with the fonts in Picasa when I enabled an Nvidia accelerated graphics driver. Every time it was installed the toolbar in Picasa would come up with garbled text. Me and my family use Picasa a lot so it was important to fix this, so I followed azza85's instructions and it workes (thanks by the way :KS). Anyway... the problem still exists on the right hand side of the toolbar where you log into webalbums. Any idea how to fix this... it's really annoying!

Thanks in advance

pt123
November 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Post some screenshots of Picasa, and your Ubuntu font settings.

Canzei
November 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi. Thanks for writing back. Here's some screenshots of the problem I am experiencing with Picasa.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_i7ZPNN_KrR0/SSV-TRKXbvI/AAAAAAAAC3g/IcbFkVPOEek/s512/Screenshot-Options.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_i7ZPNN_KrR0/SSV-Tghp0rI/AAAAAAAAC3o/OiEBY1ldSUM/Picasa%20garbled%20text.png.jpg

Any ideas?

pt123
November 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
what about your Ubuntu font settings?

also a screenshot of this
Applications> Graphics > Picasa > Picasa Font Settings

Bölvağur
November 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
what about your Ubuntu font settings?

From what I understand picasa is still on wine. so the problem is with windows fonts in wine.

It is probably not correct... but it might be worth the try to dump the correct font into /home/your_user_name/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts. I dont know if there are download sites for windows fonts.. but there should be :KS windows fonts are more used than toiletpaper.

mrgnash
November 21st, 2008, 02:19 AM
From what I understand picasa is still on wine. so the problem is with windows fonts in wine.

It is probably not correct... but it might be worth the try to dump the correct font into /home/your_user_name/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts. I dont know if there are download sites for windows fonts.. but there should be :KS windows fonts are more used than toiletpaper.

Yep, it might be worth installing msttcorefonts from the Medibuntu repository, and then dumping them into the directory you recommended.

I don't have them installed myself, and the Picasa fonts still work fine, but hey, if it works.

Canzei
November 21st, 2008, 04:31 AM
Hi, thanks for all your help guys but the problem's still there after I tried your suggestion.

Here's a screenshot of the Font Settings Window that was requested before.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_i7ZPNN_KrR0/SSYrOZH-r4I/AAAAAAAAC5s/1M-AHUiNFk0/s512/Screenshot-Picasa%20Font%20Configure.jpg

:confused:

pt123
November 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
why won't you post the Ubuntu font settings?

What is that font with the K there?

what is the dpi you have set on the next tab?

phil_f
November 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
I also have this problem. The Picasa font configure programme shows incorrectly displayed fonts as reported by Canezi and all of the Picasa forms are corrupted in a similar way. Wine also shows up similar problems so I'm sure it is a Wine related problem. Any ideas?

I see the same problem as shown in the screenshot from Canzei. No amount of fiddling with dpi settings or the like makes any improvement.

pt123
November 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
You guys are complaining but won't post the necessary screenshots yet somehow expect people to magically offer a solution.

Canzei
November 24th, 2008, 03:54 AM
em PT123, I posted a screenshot of the Font Configuration Window a few posts back...

pt123
November 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
em PT123, I posted a screenshot of the Font Configuration Window a few posts back...
After that I posted about wanting more screenshots of other settings.

Canzei
November 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
okay. here's the next tab :KS

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_i7ZPNN_KrR0/SSrWEh7jU8I/AAAAAAAAC7o/xvXJh8bVfAI/s512/Screenshot-Picasa%20Font%20Configure.jpg

pt123
November 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Ok you still have trouble reading, why don't you post the font settings from Ubuntu?
System>Preferences>Appearance>Fonts>Details

on your screenshot it says Picasa is set to 120dpi. For me it has 96dpi and my Ubuntu font settings also has 96dpi.

rax_m
November 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I've decided to give Picasa 3 a test drive and am seeing very high CPU usage for the Picasa3.exe process. Up to 50%!
Does anyone else see this? My laptop is a 1.67 Core duo with 1.5GB ram so it shouldn't be struggling.

This is after all of my images have been imported and even when Picasa is minimised.

gavinj44
December 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I had the same issue with other WINE apps since installing the nvidia drivers in Ibex, I have fixed the other wine apps by following this thread:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-dec980f6deabdb11b789c981bf49e10e70929eaf

Now obviously Picasa has wine built in ... does anyone know how to fix this issue with Picasa ?

Regards,
Gavin

timzak
December 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM
On the Windows version of Picasa 3, it now has a picture viewer that is amazing. It will automatically associate all photo files to Picasa and when you double-click a photo, this photo viewer loads the picture up with some cool effects.

Is this available in the Linux version?

MikeTheC
December 9th, 2008, 12:28 AM
A friend was mentioning this to me. I doubt I'll install it myself, though, because:

1. I prefer native apps to Windows ports;
2. I find that I don't benefit from photo-organization software.

graabein
December 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Same here. Both F-Spot and Picasa through Wine is more trouble than help for me. I use a combination of GThumb and The Gimp while waiting for newer (native) versions.

olmecnz
January 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
There is an application called BlueMarine that looks promising.

I am hanging out for one of these applications to support geotagging on ubuntu. I know the windows version of Picasa does it well.

pt123
January 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Wine just introduced subpixel font rendering
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029592&goto=newpost

hopefully Google can incorporate it with the wine they are using in Picasa.

macvr
January 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
There is an application called BlueMarine that looks promising.

I am hanging out for one of these applications to support geotagging on ubuntu. I know the windows version of Picasa does it well.

tried blueMarine > but it just displays the fotos , no editing options what so ever , unless there are plugins! didnt check that out though...

but another problem i had was it creates duplicates of the fotos for workspaces!

windows suchks but the only program i miss from windows is
WINDOWS LIVE PHOTO GALLERY >
easy to use for noobs ,
can edit fotos,
doesnt create unnecessary backups of the pics ,
and the option to delete the original unedited fotos [picasa should add this feature]

hope there is a replacement of this software for linux

mihai.ile
January 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I don't know about you but for me Picasa under wine is sooo faster than F-Spot. Inporting photos, opening, editing....

Even so, I don't like the look and feel of picasa, so I use gThumb and Gimp until something better comes.

VitaminXbg
January 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I had the same issue with other WINE apps since installing the nvidia drivers in Ibex, I have fixed the other wine apps by following this thread:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-dec980f6deabdb11b789c981bf49e10e70929eaf

Now obviously Picasa has wine built in ... does anyone know how to fix this issue with Picasa ?

Regards,
Gavin

I've found a solution to this problem. It's very simple.

Open the file
~/.google/picasa/3.0/user.reg
and add the line

"ClientSideWithRender"="N"
just below the

[Software\\Wine\\X11 Driver] 1230224923
line.
The result should look like this

"InputStyle"="offthespot"

It's basically the same solution as in the wine website, but since I wasn't able to start the regedit.exe of picasa's wine, I decided to do it manually and luckily I've found the file necessary.

mlkovacs
February 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much! I have been look for this for a few weeks now. This worked for me.:D

mejpark
March 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I've found a solution to this problem. It's very simple.

Open the file
~/.google/picasa/3.0/user.reg
and add the line

just below the

line.
The result should look like this

"InputStyle"="offthespot"

It's basically the same solution as in the wine website, but since I wasn't able to start the regedit.exe of picasa's wine, I decided to do it manually and luckily I've found the file necessary.

A similar solution is provided in the The Official Wine Wiki FAQ (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-dec980f6deabdb11b789c981bf49e10e70929eaf):

This fix did not work for me, but your fix did. Where did you find this solution VitaminXbg?

It must have been the "InputStyle"="offthespot" line that solved the problem, as this line of code is not included in the FAQ above.

I added the same code to '~/.wine/user.reg' and that works now too!

Thanks for posting your solution!

CarVac
March 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Is there any way to get PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) to work in Picasa? I have to use F-spot in order to import photos from my camera (in 8.04)

mcai8sh4
April 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've added "ClientSideWithRender"="N" to the user.reg, but I still get one core taking 100% load from Picasa3.exe, is there somthing I've missed here?

Also when I close Picasa down, the .exe stays running (along with wine server I think) for a few minutes. This may just be due to it hogging the CPU. If I can fix that then this problem might go away.

Final question... why when I click the filter pictures with faces, it doesn't find any, when there are loads of pics that should (the red eye tool finds the eyes without any problem.

Thansk