PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multi Bootable Flash Drive

basnet2
October 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been yanking my hair out over the past week trying to figure out how to create a multi boot flash drive.

What I want to achieve: take my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Titanium hold my data, and on other paritions hold UBCD, Backtrack 3, and Knoppix.

I am new to Ubuntu/linux and don't really know anything about terminal commands, but I have been reading a lot and have tried various things such as GAG, GRUB, and Lilo but with no success :(

What I have right now is my flash drive partioned into 2 primary partitions (the first for all my data, the second which is only 8MB where I plan to hold the bootloader), and then a Extended partition broken into 3 logical paritions, one for each UBCD, Knoppix, and BT3.

Where I am getting hung up is installing and configuring a bootloader. Although like I said I am a complete noob to linux and have very little knowlege of what I am doing haha. All I have tried I have read online the past week. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

basnet2
October 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So I have made some real headway and now have Backtrack 3 and Knoppix booting from my flash drive. Now all I need is to get UBCD running. I googled around on configuring the menu.lst for BT3 and Knoppix but I can't find anything for UBCD as far as Grub goes. Here is my menu.lst so far:

title Ultimate Boot CD
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/baslinux root=/dev/ram0
initrd /boot/baslinux.gz
boot

title Knoppix
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=pt apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet pci=nommconf BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
boot

title Backtrack 3
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

I completely made up the whole UBCD part hoping that it would magically work lol. Any guidance on this is appreciated!

Thanks

cariboo
October 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I have used this to create several multiboot cd's

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

It should with flash drives.

Jim

basnet2
October 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I really just want to figure out how to code for the booting of UBCD through Grub, not to start all over with a different bootloader. Its taken me many hours to come this far and I don't want to through all my progress away when I'm so close :D