PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] freeze after login

piesquared88
October 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Right, today I was having problems with something (forget exactly what, it was trivial and nearly 12 hours ago), and heard it might be fixed in Ibex... not wanting to wait another twenty-some days I decided to upgrade (from 8.04 to 8.10) early.

So, Ubuntu freezes in the middle of the upgrade for unrelated reasons. I restart, install all the available updates, everything works fine for a few hours.

Then I reboot again.

Boot-up is normal, the correct sound plays at the login prompt, the login window functions as I'd expect, and then.... nothing. The screen turns a flat blue. Mouse works, pretty much nothing else works. I say pretty much because I eventually found exactly one thing that worked - the printscreen button. From there I was able to open "help" and from there firefox... but with no network connection.

Various "recovery" and "last known good configuration" options at grub menu all have the same result. Login appears to stop suddenly just after the login prompt disappears.... no desktop, no icons, no "alt+F1-12" hotkeys, no right click menu...

Dual boot to windows still works, so if there's any log file in particular that could be helpful it wouldn't be hard to recover it.

Basically I'm looking for a way to *not* have to wipe and reinstall (it's been more then a year since I've done that, so I've naturally forgotten exactly what I did to disable my touch pad forever and change how the 4th and 5th buttons on my mouse work, and who knows what else...) but it's not looking too likely just now.

This is on a Dell Latitude D820, if that matters.