PDA

View Full Version : shadows in gtk themes

elefantcrossing
October 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
just wanted to know if it is possible to get drop shadows in gtk themes?
I've made a quick mockup to illustrate my question

jonian_g
October 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Only if you use a compositing manager like compiz or enable compositing for metacity.

oedipuss
October 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I suppose you can fake some of the effects with a pixmap engine, though.
If I'm not mistaken there are already themes that have a thin shadow inside textboxes or lists.

xreaper
October 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
theres always a way to do things on linux! if you have compiz enabled, type:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-backend-gconf

then go to System>preferences>advanced desktop effects settings. find the button that says Window Decoration, and click on it, you can then play around with the opacity, color, etc of the shadow. Enjoy ^^

oedipuss
October 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I think he means composited drop shadows in gtk widgets, like the nautilus icon area in the mockup.

elefantcrossing
October 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
yes, i wasn't talking about the shadows of the window decorations.
i wanted to know if there is any gtk theme that uses composited shadows for gtk widgets. as seen on my mockup.

since the murrine-engine will have nice alpha transparency, i thought composited shadows would be the next evolutionary step.

smartboyathome
October 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
yes, i wasn't talking about the shadows of the window decorations.
i wanted to know if there is any gtk theme that uses composited shadows for gtk widgets. as seen on my mockup.

since the murrine-engine will have nice alpha transparency, i thought composited shadows would be the next evolutionary step.

The only ways to do it are to use a theming engine which supports it (I don't know if any do), or to use pixmaps.

Murrine's no longer under development, by the way. Cimi had to even leave the Art team mailing list. So it won't happen there unless someone forks it or something.

Ub1476
October 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I thought murrine-svn supported it?