PDA

View Full Version : More Ideas to fix Bug #1

losslesshead
November 23rd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Well, I was not sure where to post this, so I posted it here!

Soon (tomorrow), I am going to start creating a guide to document how to switch from Windows to Ubuntu. From converting iTunes files to unprotected mp3's (using jhymn) to learning to use these forums. I was wondering wether nyone had any ideas of things I should include!

Note: This guide is going to be written for the average user (such as the kids in my grade, which is 7th grade). So in other words, we are talking about iPod toting, Flash movie loving, M$ Office using, Tech Support calling, users. I am going to post it on the web when I am done, and also hand it out to some people I have convinced to try out Ubuntu!

losslesshead
November 23rd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something, I will not use Rythmbox for music management in the guide because ti would not have enough functionality for the average user. If I was to use Rythmbox, they would have to use that for playing music, Gtkpod for ipod syncing, and EasyTag for Tag editing. Too confusing.

aysiu
November 23rd, 2005, 03:36 AM
I would include a link to Herman's wonderful dual boot guide and a link to Easy Ubuntu and Automatix.

Oh, and make your guide a PDF--that's what we're sorely missing here. And I've asked people before... if you're willing to create a good PDF, folks on this forum will be willing to host it (the folks are willing, not the forum itself).

losslesshead
November 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM
Okay, I will, its just last time I checked Easy Ubuntu out it still was not an easily installed .deb (sigh). Yes, I will make the file a pdf!

aysiu
November 23rd, 2005, 03:46 AM
I've never used Automatix myself, but I hear it's damn easy.

losslesshead
November 23rd, 2005, 04:04 AM
Automatix, in my opinions has too much software that would not be needed by the average user.

aysiu
November 23rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Again, not having used it myself, I was under the impression Automatix doesn't install a whole bunch of software but allows you to install what you want or don't want. Can anyone (arnieboy, perhaps) confirm or deny this?

poofyhairguy
November 23rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Again, not having used it myself, I was under the impression Automatix doesn't install a whole bunch of software but allows you to install what you want or don't want.

Correct. Its a bash script.

migo
November 23rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Provide a list of programs, codecs, etc. that they'll want to download that aren't included in Ubuntu because of the 100% OSS philosophy.

JimmyJazz
November 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention something, I will not use Rythmbox for music management in the guide because ti would not have enough functionality for the average user. If I was to use Rythmbox, they would have to use that for playing music, Gtkpod for ipod syncing, and EasyTag for Tag editing. Too confusing.
mabey its time someone combined all these into one nice iTunes drop in replacement, just a thought.

aysiu
November 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM
mabey its time someone combined all these into one nice iTunes drop in replacement, just a thought. That's what AmaroK is supposed to be. I've yet to see it operate smoothly, though--at least on my Ubuntu computer.