PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with partitioner in ubuntu minimal

columbus_uncle
October 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I am trying to install the minimal install of ubuntu on an old gateway PII. I can get up to the partitioner at which point I get an error message saying:

Input/output error during read on /dev/hde

I ignore the error three times and get another error:

The creation of swap space in partition #5 of IDE3 master (hde) failed.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to install ubuntu on this machine?

cariboo
October 5th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Do you really have 5 hard drives in your computer? This almost indicates that you have the drive on an expansion card that isn't being detected properly. Check you cables and jumpers to make sure the hard drives are being detected in the proper order.

Jim

columbus_uncle
October 5th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Do you really have 5 hard drives in your computer? This almost indicates that you have the drive on an expansion card that isn't being detected properly. Check you cables and jumpers to make sure the hard drives are being detected in the proper order.

Jim

I was confused by that too. I definitely have only one hard drive. Excuse my noobness, but how would I know if the drive is plugged in correctly?

columbus_uncle
October 5th, 2008, 05:35 PM
anyone have any ideas about this?

columbus_uncle
October 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
bump

snowpine
October 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Can you post your system specs?

I would recommend partitioning your drive (using an Ubuntu Live CD, GParted CD, or similar) prior to the installation. If you set up your partitions ahead of time, you can select Manual Partitioning from the installer. Also, having the swap partition already set up may help the installer (not sure if that's true with the Mini ISO though).

columbus_uncle
October 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Can you post your system specs?

I would recommend partitioning your drive (using an Ubuntu Live CD, GParted CD, or similar) prior to the installation. If you set up your partitions ahead of time, you can select Manual Partitioning from the installer. Also, having the swap partition already set up may help the installer (not sure if that's true with the Mini ISO though).

The specs:

Pentium III 750 Mhz, 128mb RAM, 10 gig HD

I can't seem to get the live cd to work. The system freezes when the desktop shows. I assume this is because the system does not have enough ram for the normal version of 8.04. I can't seem to figure out how to partition the hd manually using the mini iso.

snowpine
October 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
128mb is definitely enough ram to use the mini.iso, but not enough for the Ubuntu live cd. You should do a little research and find a live cd that will run with 128mb and has a partitioning tool such as gparted. (The mini.iso does not have a separate partitioner unfortunately.) If you can get a live CD going to set up the partitions, maybe run some disk diagnostics, that might help you prepare the disk so installation goes more smoothly. Sorry I can't be of more specific help, but I've never dealt with Linux on a 128mb system before.

cariboo
October 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Here are a couple of things I would check.

1. Make sure the ide cable isplugged into the first ide port on the motherboard
2. Make sure you have the jumper on the hard drive set to master
3. Although this shouldn't make any difference, make sure the bios is detecting the hard drive properly.

Jim