PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] slow GNOME startup

igsimon
October 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
My system has started to slow down when starting GNOME. It gets to the brown screen fast and then takes a long time for the user screen and icons to display. I am not sure how to fix this - boot time to brown screen is fast like always. I hope this is correct place to post this. I am running 64 bit version if that matters with NVIDIA card and driver.

flammon
October 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Just wanted to add a me too. The GNOME startup in Intrepid is much slower than Hardy. After entering my user name and password at the GDM login, my desktop background is shown fairly fast but the panels and the applets take much longer to load. The network manager also tells me that I'm now connected to a wired network every time I login. Is that normal? Is the network connection done on a per user basis when I login? Maybe that is slowing things down.

n.desaintjorre
November 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I have the same problem. I was under Hardy since many weeks and lately each time I log in, the desktop background is displayed very quickly but then I have to wait around 40 seconds before been able to use the panel. The very strange thing is that the top panel is open in two time: first I have the 'Applications, Places and System' link (but not usable) and then after the 'date and time, network, "start menu"'.

I try to upgrade to Intrepid but no change.

I read that this could be linked with a bad hosts configuration.

I am stuck... My last solution is to re-install Ubuntu but I will try to find the solution... Thank for your help.