PDA

View Full Version : Where comes your screen name?

RuthEllen85
October 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Screennames really have a history sometimes, don't they? I'm not talking about your hotmail or yahoo address because you probably didn't find your beloved username there to register and you ended up with something like yourusername5345345@hotmail.com. :D But we usually use our best preference in forums and such and they can sometimes mean something.

Well I know mine is a bit boring because it already comes from my name (and 85 comes from birthyear) but while patronizing internet communities, I really bumped into interesting usernames with interesting stories. For example I know a gal who uses his ex's real name as username and wanders around like that. Weird if you ask me. I also know another guy who googled a lot of uncommon words and choose the one which returned less results as his internet screen name! heh

Anyway what's it with you and your screen name? Share your story plz!! ;)

smartboyathome
October 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
My mom created mine when I was young and she was on AOL, since she wanted me to use parental controls. I've kept it ever since and use it everywhere. :)

Dr Small
October 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Mine was taken from the book, "The Hoosier Schoolmaster".

perlluver
October 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Mine comes from My days with Red Hat 6.1, back in 1999. Saw perl flash by, and have kept it since.

EvilDaemon
October 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Mine's an alias that I made up, and use in... well, everywhere. :)

Calmatory
October 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's just a mix of random characters from my keyboard when I wanted unique alias in Trackmania Nations, thus it shouldn't mean anything. Been using it ever since.

kittywittys
October 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM
mine comes what my boyfriend calls me. He started calling me kitten when we started dating over a year ago.....then that turned into different variations. He started calling me kitty, kittys, kitty wittys, and kitty witty butt. So it just stuck. even though its kinda dorky....it makes me smile every time i see it.

OldTimeTech
October 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Been in computers and software since the late 1980's, started out a guru, then got my certifications and now am retired due to health problems...still work on computers and push Ubuntu as much as possible, but in my home, with no Overseers looking over my shoulder.

beercz
October 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I was drinking Czech beer when I set the account up :-)

lisati
October 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Mine's the Samoan equivalent of my real name. I only started using it regularly with these forums.

kg4tah
October 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I use my Amateur radio callsign... I don't have to worry about it being taken already by another user!

civillian
October 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I was doing some composing, and put it on the internet (just for mates etc to listen, really) and my friend decided I needed a nom de guerre, as it were, and we were discussing something and it came around to MI(instert number here) and we decided that CI makes more sense (the old cliche being that military intelligence is an oxymoron), C being civillian and the I obviously being intelligence, and he thought civint was a catchy name, and he left the country, and now I use the name for all things internet/computer based!

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM
It is my name.

Dr Small
October 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I use my Amateur radio callsign... I don't have to worry about it being taken already by another user!
Technician License, and you are from Guantanamo Bay?

SuperSonic4
October 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Mine Comes from Super Sonic (ie Sonic after getting all the chaos emeralds) and my favourite number which is 4

ChanServ
October 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Irc

CorvisRex
October 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Mine is from the Latin: Corvis=family name of ravens and crows(corvids) and Rex=King, hence King Raven, or Raven King. Either one. And since my name is Raven, I figured it was a good one. and strangely, unique, considering how many people I know with the name of Raven.

OrbJinzo
October 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Mines basically the handle i use for gaming. Orb is the clan/guild I am in.

And Jinzo is the handle I've used for god knows how long.

-grubby
October 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
My name

kg4tah
October 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Technician License, and you are from Guantanamo Bay?

No, North Carolina, USA... born and raised :-)

Dr Small
October 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
No, North Carolina, USA... born and raised :-)
Ah, ok. I am still studing the callsigns and trying to get the gist of them. (I'm studying to get my Ham Radio License sometime soon.)

JetskiDude911
October 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Mine is just something I made up several years ago. I spent a summer jet skiing down in Florida and made the AIM screen name jetskidude911 to keep in contact with people. The jetskidude is pretty explanatory, but the 911 part if there because I wiped one time and need medical attention.

y-lee
October 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
All thru college I used the name Y-Lee on my papers and tests and stuff whether my professors liked it or not.:D And so I use it here as it is the geek side of me.

dagoth_pie
October 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
In The Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind, the head ash vampire and main enemy in the game is called Dagoth Ur, the lesser ash vampires and ash slaves also have names startingw with Dagoth, so one day about two years ago I decided to try runescape, and evey name I've used before then was taken, and being determined not to have a number at the end of my name, I finally came across Dagoth Pie, and I've stuck with it ever since...

Just because it's a good story, when I'm playing 1st person shooters I go with the name One Hit Wonder, the one comes from back in the day (actually it was only about a year ago) playing Hidden and Dangerous in co op, and I charged into a barricade of Nazis, with only a hand gun, killed five of them with five bullets, then I got shot, but thats not nearly as interesting...

technotitclan
October 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
mine comes from when my gf was playing Civ and when she got the operatunity to name one of her cities she tried to give it the same name that mexico city was originaly know by but spelled it pretty badly. and thats were technotitclan comes from.

pbpersson
October 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
It is just my name, not very interesting.

In the old days in Sweden, last names meant something:

Persson - son of Per
Olson - son of Olle
Larsson - son of Lars
Albertson - son of Albert
Johnson - son of John

My dad used to get VERY upset when he would get junk mail saying "we have traced the Persson name back 400 years and will sell you the information" because he made up that name, he was the son of Per.

However, they are now getting away from that in Sweden and my cousin who now owns the house where my dad grew up in Sweden kept the same last name - Persson - even though he is the son of Olle

Irihapeti
October 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Mine is the Māori version of my middle name. I'm known by it on a couple of other forums as well. I couldn't use the transliteration of my first name because it was already taken.

semisweets
October 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM
My family choose screen names that are all chocolate themed. Lets just say that I am not as sweet as your average chocolate.

chucky chuckaluck
October 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM
my real name is Charles A. Luccano jr.

Sealbhach
October 5th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Sealbhach was a king of Scotland. It's a Gaelic name and means "one who has possession".

I chose it because I like how it sounds and it's unlikely to have been used before if I'm registering on a site.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
It's a Gaelic name and means "one who has possession".

You mean "owner".

Sealbhach
October 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
It is just my name, not very interesting.

In the old days in Sweden, last names meant something:

Persson - son of Per
Olson - son of Olle
Larsson - son of Lars
Albertson - son of Albert
Johnson - son of John

In Iceland, men have the -son added to the end of their surname but women have dottir (daughter).

Bjork's surname is Gudmundsdottir (Gudmund's daughter).

Sealbhach
October 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
You mean "owner".

Not really, it's an adjective.

Sealbh = possession

Sealbhach = possessy

Tazgecko
October 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
A street tag, been using it since i was ten years old.
A lot of walls had a jack o lantern with tazgecko carved in the side, in the 80's
Now that i have grown all up, it is used on my artwork and screen prints as a signature.
Keep people guessing who i am. 8-[

bartos
October 5th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Mine is from my first serious WOW toon and now I use it everywhere. No more WOW anymore.

Ms_Angel_D
October 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I Started using My Name about 5 yrs ago when the hubby and I had an Radio Show called Metal Hell So I just took that and added it on to it my First Name which is Angel.

Prior to that I used the Name LadyMagikDarknes because I got sick to death of Idiot's messaging me on Yahoo for nothing more but cybering so I Made up a name that would at least intimidate them a bit, and it worked I stopped getting tons of messages to :D

iwc5893
October 5th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Mine is the company I used to work for doing satellite installation, along with my tech number.

dracvs
October 5th, 2008, 04:42 AM
My Username is basically an aberration of dragon in latin:

dragon = Draco Draconis/draconia
So I added a vs like the old roman latin (for example cygnvs)

I have another name i made up in case this one was taken, its Sylexia, and shes the witch/evil/villain of a Small tale I wrote for a school once upon a time.

Frak
October 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM
My failed 9-year old attempt at spelling frag, as in, fragmentation grenade.

Ace of Knaves
October 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM
My name was going to be Joker, but someone already had that one. So, I decided to use one of his "titles", the Ace of Knaves among others.

gettinoriginal
October 5th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I had trouble finding one I liked, and a friend told me I had to get original, and here I am.

Bluebell392
October 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
My name isn't very interesting. It is my dog's name plus three numbers at the end. I use it everywhere.

KillerSponge
October 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Mine comes from when I first started playing Half-Life (1) multiplayer.. I was (still am, actually) a big Spongebob fan, so I wanted KillerSpongebob, but that was too long, so I abbreviated it to KillerSponge.

SilxCat
October 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Silx has been my screename and nickname since I can remember. But as Silx was (to my surprise!) taken on this forum. I added another nickname to it: Cat. My boyfriends calls me Cat because I meow and purr and actually act a bit like a cat. :)

xpod
October 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3928534

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Silx has been my screename and nickname since I can remember. But as Silx was (to my surprise!) taken on this forum. I added another nickname to it: Cat. My boyfriends calls me Cat because I meow and purr and actually act a bit like a cat. :)

What about "Sille"?

vishzilla
October 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
mine is a combination of my name and zilla :p i was nicknamed zilla by my friends. also i took inspiration from mozilla :D

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
mine is a combination of my name and zilla :p i was nicknamed zilla by my friends. also i took inspiration from mozilla :D

Not Godzilla?

vishzilla
October 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Not Godzilla?

no. i dont like big reptiles terrorizing big cities like tokyo, NYC

jimi_hendrix
October 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
at first i just began to enter my first name as jimi and my last name as hendrix into the name box...then i started using this as my screen name

now if it is already taken (it is a popular name) then i go to axl rose...

i also like jimi hendrix's music

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM
no. i dont like big reptiles terrorizing big cities like tokyo, NYC
I've been to NYC, it could use a reptilian makeover so to speak.

vishzilla
October 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I've been to NYC, it could use a reptilian makeover so to speak.

hmm...after i make a visit to NYC :p

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
hmm...after i make a visit to NYC :p

You want to go to NYC? I want to go to Mumbai someday (to see the people singing and dancing in the streets).

I'm working in my Mumbai slang also, by watching the Munna Bhai movies. (And my second name on IRC is "Munna_Bahin" :-))

vishzilla
October 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
You want to go to NYC? I want to go to Mumbai someday (to see the people singing and dancing in the streets).

I'm working in my Mumbai slang also, by watching the Munna Bhai movies. (And my second name on IRC is "Munna_Bahin" :-))

You will fit in easily here then. But you wont find people singing or dancing. Probably you can start a new trend here. :)

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
You will fit in easily here then.
I think I'd stand out a bit, being white and all (with red hair). None of the people in the movies looked like that, except the dancer in the hospital and that was dyed red (partially) and she wasn't white.

But you wont find people singing or dancing. Probably you can start a new trend here. :)

It is my goal to stage a song and dance like in the movies in real life in Mumbai. I take my inspiration from Improv Everywhere (search youtube).

vishzilla
October 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
don't forget to include me in the performance :) there are some americans here. i am joining a new company tomorrow. the main office is in LA, so the workplace has some americans too. so i guess with the amount of american firms here, there will be some proportion of americans or foreigners here.

EDIT: i have seen Improve Everywhere before

Paul41
October 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Paul is my name and 41 was my basketball number.

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
don't forget to include me in the performance :) there are some americans here. i am joining a new company tomorrow. the main office is in LA, so the workplace has some americans too. so i guess with the amount of american firms here, there will be some proportion of americans or foreigners here.

EDIT: i have seen Improve Everywhere before

There are Indians here as well, I used to work for one.

You can be one of those people in the background dancing.

EdThaSlayer
October 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Just an alias I like to call all my computer game characters. :)
Edthaslayer :KS